1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Gates: Tax Robots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sirbaihu, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Even the CEO of United Technologies admits that offshoring jobs to Mexico had nothing to do with automation, since they now plan to automate certain jobs in Indiana. When are the proto-Hillary supporters going to wake up?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rojo, why don't you post that in the other thread. I believe it's the one where you argued that automation doesn't take away jobs.

3. Cohete Rojo

200+ years since the start of the Industrial Revolution and we have a 5% unemployment rate. I'd say that automation does not lead to job loss - it changes the way people work, though.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Depends on where you look. Manufacturing, as an example, has had huge loss of jobs due to automation and that trend will continue.

Too loose of an association, but nevertheless I wouldn't use past data to predict future when technology is advancing exponentially with time and there is no sign of slowing down. Although I'm a bit skeptical for the next 50 years, I would listen to experts in this field on where automation is heading and its impact to traditional labor.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

5% unemployment? Trump disagrees:

Indaface likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

That's a terrible way too look at it. Of course the skills the world needs changes. Its like complaining that the demand for fletchers has plummeted. who cares as long as that work moves to something more needed?

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is absolutely no complain. I'm not even looking at it in any ways. I'm simply stating some known trends.

Who cares are those that will lose their jobs and as a society, what we should do about it. Knowing where automation is impacting more precisely help makes more informed policy. For example, if we know manufacturing jobs will be increasing less over the next 5 years, do we fight that trend (stop automation), do we embrace it and help those that will lose their jobs (re-training for other folks), ...

And it is precisely that labor needs change over time that we need policy to keep up with the current and changing needs.

What is fletchers??

8. tallanvor

Its a meaningless stat. you would look at jobs overall.

If their skills provide no value then they should lose their job and we should do nothing about it obviously.

fletcher. they make arrows.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No they should do something about it, like voting for president Trump and demand their job back.

10. Cohete Rojo

I'll extend upon my nail gun analogy.

Even though nail guns have put a lot of people out of work, I garuntee you that somewhere out there, at some job site, there is a guy (yes a guy) with a hammer in hand, ready to go to work. Automation isn't so perfect that it eliminates every role. Nor is management so savvy that they need to never hire new employees.

Despite nail guns, despite excavators, and despite many other modern construction tools, you will still see guys driving nails with hammers, digging holes with shovels, and participating in many other forms of "manual labor".

25 years ago, Al Gore went on television to assure the American people that NAFTA was not just an excuse to offshore jobs for cheaper labor. Well, many of the people of this country have a different view then Al Gore, 25 years later. They want a renegotiation.

The US worker competes, not only among themselves for jobs, but against everyone else in the world who are competing (what seems) to take American jobs. The American worker does not have the advantage that they are competing for the rest of the world's jobs (for the most part).

And to further my long winded response, on top of NAFTA job loss, you have illegal immigration. This must be like a spit in the face for many folks. Not only do they feel as though their livelihoods have been compromised by offshoring, now there is an illegal market for labor here in the US, that is very large, which not only depresses wages but helps contribute to the $20+ billion dollars worth of remittances to Mexico (~2% Mexican GDP), on top of that.

Like I've said before, for many Trump supporters, they have already been in a trade war. And I won't forget to mention again the insincerity and disingenuous rhetoric that all of this is due to "automation". Trump supporters may not be very well educated, but they are not that stupid.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's meaningless because you think you should do nothing about it? Or because it's really meaningless?

I think having knowledge and data (stat) are absolutely necessary for policy decision, if they are to be of informed type. That doesn't necessary mean re-training (just an example).

And I throw out something here and you tell me if this is meaningless. There are quite a bit of programming jobs in the US today. What if I tell you 80% of those jobs will disappear in the next 20 years, worldwide. Do you think that's a meaningless data point to know?

Do you think that maybe, that means our education might have to be shifted a bit?

I think it's critical to have a good understanding of job trends, where automation is taking us, so we may deal with it more effectively. No having a good understanding is where you are shooting wild guesses and might be making poor decision.

p.s. I threw out that example above because I think it actually likely to be the case.

12. tallanvor

Its really meaningless. Demand for manufacturing is down? so what? you cant artifically make demand. the people want what they want.

not if the knowledge is useless.

as president/politician? yes. as a high school kid picking a career? no

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Taxation Without Representation

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Straw man.

??

And this makes you NOT worry about extra competition from robots because . . . ?

Who said competition from other countries/immigrants is due to automation? Consider this: American workers have to compete with 1) other countries, 2) illegal immigrants, 3) automation. Make sense?

15. dmoneybangbang

It's been moving to the less paying service sector jobs which is causing more social spending.

16. dmoneybangbang

Automation in the 21st century is machine learning and machine vision. That's never happened before.

What's going to happen to the doctors when your smart phone can take a minsicule amount of blood or be coughed on and diagnose you better than a room of board certified doctors?

What's happening now is something entirely different than what happened during previous industrial revolution, and make no mistake we are currently undergoing another industrial revolution.

17. dmoneybangbang

Well in the trade war you are proposing you would pay more for goods and still not have a good job as opposed to paying less for goods and not have a good job.

18. Cohete Rojo

People paid more for oil in the wake of the recession and the economy did just fine. I'm not worried about a price increase in goods or services - we have innovation to drive those costs down (such as better management, automation, etc).

19. dmoneybangbang

Did just fine? Going to have disagree with that economy was just fine between 2009-2014 otherwise a populist wouldn't have been elected. High energy prices made everything more expensive.

You mean how essentially the last 20 years has gone?

Have you forgotten about the jobs and wages aspect and why are at this point?

#39 dmoneybangbang, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It would be awesome. Lower cost, more accurate, and more accessible.

IBM's Watson is better at diagnosing cancer than human doctors

IBM’s Watson gives proper diagnosis for Japanese leukemia patient after doctors were stumped for months