1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is Las Manitas a Trump property? Something about the name...cant quite put my finger on it

#41 SamFisher, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    eric.81 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Texas has been flipped for so long, I don't know where to begin to ratchet up the turnout.

Spurs fans getting angry over Pop's political comments has been getting press lately (yeah...it's not because they're sucking). Texas red has become an identity for some.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In ordinary circumstances, I would agree, but 2018 is going to be far out of the ordinary, in my opinion. I think a lot of Democrats and independents who usually "sit out" the midterms are going to be ginned up and eager to vote. I have a friend who's running a volunteer phone bank that's making calls for Democratic candidates and she says the response has really been unusually good. I've always thought there were more Democrats in Texas than is generally believed, the problem being that they haven't been voting. I think that's about to change. We'll see.

finalsbound likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I still miss the place. It had great food and a great atmosphere, and you never knew who might be at a booth or walk in while you were eating. The kind of local place we used to have a lot more of.

(whoops! I just screwed up - sorry! double post)

eric.81 likes this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If Cruz loses, people will chalk it up to the anti-Trump "blue wave," but Beto is out-working Ted all over the state. Last time Ted ran against a tomato can and had the winds of apathy at his back. 2018 will be the fight of his political life.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And, if we're lucky, the end of it (his political life, that is).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i hope im wrong, but i dont see beto winning a general election. most people on both sides of the political spectrum cant stand rafael cruz but he will still win. he has an "R" infront of his name and wears his christianity on his sleeve...in 21st century texas politics thats really all it takes.

the margin of victory will be uncomfortably close for republicans, but i dont see the blue wave hitting just yet.

da_juice likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This election will be all about turn-out. Democrats needs to take their anger on Cruz.

9. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The IRONY of a Latino changing his name to a white boy name to appeal to Republicans versus a white boy changing his
    first name to a Latino name to appeal to Democrats!

Kim likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

They've both gone by those names since they were children.

Kim and jo mama like this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Cruz/ Shapiro 2020

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A small glimmer for optimism...

New poll finds race between Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke “too close to call”

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/0...een-ted-cruz-and-beto-orourke-too-close-call/

No Worries likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So now you're advocating for Trump to lose in the primary/be in prison/just give up after world's largest hissy fit?

And by "you're" I mean "Russia"

I don't know if O'Rourke will win but it's going to be the closest race in years. It's going to bring a lot of energy down ticket in this election year. He's doing things the right way. County to county. Town hall to town hall. No PAC money and yet he's out raising Cruz 2 to 1. It's going to be an interesting 6-1/2 months from here to see where this race goes.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it would be ironic if they actually did that, but neither did.

the hypocrisy is "ted" cruz calling out orourke for going by beto...a nickname he has had he was a little kid...rafael only changed his name to ted at 13.

#54 jo mama, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Deckard and Kim like this.
  15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

So you'll support Lyin' Ted, the utterly immoral pathological liar and serial philanderer who married an ugly woman and whose father befriended Lee Harvey Oswald and who may not even be eligible to be president because he was born in Canada? The man who's probably not even a real Evangelical because of his Cuban heritage?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why is this so close if Republicans 'alledgedly' hate Cruz?

Rocket River

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

R

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Republican voters don’t hate ted Cruz

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You can hate someone or something and still vote for them. Plenty of people supposedly despised Trump and yet rationalized voting for him. Rick Perry had terrible approval ratings for much of his time in office and yet he largely won quite comfortably. The overall approval rating of the Republican Party among Republican voters is beyond awful and yet Republican candidates still secure 90+ percent of Republican voters routinely.

When our politics is as tribal as it is now, approval rating matters less and less. Our elections are becoming less and less about persuading voters and are more about boosting turnout of one's base relative to the other party's base. And the Deep South has never had very many swing voters to begin with so this is especially true in a place like Texas.