1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best credit card

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TL, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not really. In this day and age, you need credit. The best advice is get a credit card and don't spend more than what you have in your bank account.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Your best advice assumes most people that get a credit card will not spend money they don't have in a bank account. If they had the willpower to do this, they can meet my conditions for getting a credit card in a couple of years or less.

Had a friend just buy a house a couple of years ago with no credit. It was a pain for him working with the bank, but it happened. For other things, credit is only "needed" for those that should be able to meet my conditions easily with willpower.

3. Duncan McDonuts

But it is the best advice. Use a credit card as if it's cash. You'll have many more advantages with a credit card than someone who doesn't use one.

4. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Thanks for this, super helpful. Just so we're clear, if I use my chase sapphire reserve card exclusively on travel and dining, then im getting 3 points back per dollar, and even applying the "non-luxury" conversion rate of 1.4c per point, that's 4.2% cashback vs a 2% cashback for the doublecash card, correct?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Your advice is only the best for people that spend less than they make. From a quick search, that is about 40% of Americans.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Sounds like the best advice to me. Spend less than what you make. Get rewarded for it.

7. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

8. Duncan McDonuts

That's a terrible video.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Giving good advice is about understanding who you're talking to and what is realistic and meeting people where they are rather than where you think they should be. There is no single "best advice" for most topics.

10. VanityHalfBlack

Best? A non existing one, LMAO

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Amex Platinum business card.

100k sign up bonus. Sure it costs $450

• $200 airline credit a year
    • Global Entry/TSA precheck
    • Plus you get 50% back on your point usage at the moment, great deal.
    • 5x points on flights

LCAhmed and TL like this.
  12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you cannot control yourself to spend less than you have, you have bigger trouble than credit cards. I have several credit cards and never carry a balance, I get a little reward for using the cards, seems perfectly good to me.

Sooty likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Just to add to this, CSR is a little different in terms of point usage. You are correct in the 3 points per dollar on travel and dining but for point redemption, if you use it on flights, it's a flat 1.5 cent redemption. CSR points are actually converted into dollars when used for flights so it doesn't matter what airline you're choosing. Chase is effectively converting your points back into dollars for your use.

This has the side benefit of ensuring that your booking is a proper paid booking instead of an award booking which means you earn frequent flyer points and loyalty status. For someone like me who has pretty good medallion status with Delta, I get a nice multiplier effect on paid bookings (both in terms of FF points and status). Other credit cards that require you to transfer points means that you end up just making award bookings so frequent flyer points or loyalty status improvements. Also all things being equal, a paid traveler is treated better than an award traveler so you're less likely to get bumped (and possibly beaten up) like the guy on the United flight. :)

14. Duncan McDonuts

True, but I've never heard of any situation where spending more than what you have in your bank account as good advice.

Obviously investment or education opportunities don't apply to that.

15. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Do people actually buy crap on credit cards they can't pay for? Serious question.

I have no running balance each month and use it as a form of reward for points.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Everyone I know does this as well, I have no idea why people would buy crap they cannot afford on credit or not. Credit balance is the worst form of financial self punishment.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Happens all the time to people in the US. Credit Card companies are profitable for a reason.

18. Major

Major Member

Of course not - but lots of people have trouble managing money. For them, having a credit card is a danger because it can send them down a bad path.

Of course they do - how exactly do you think credit cards make money?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/13/us-households-now-have-over-16k-in-credit-card-debt.html

The average family that holds a credit card balance has one of $16,000.

ramotadab likes this.
  19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Chase Ultimate Rewards portal allows you to earn multiplier points for shopping. Upwards of 30x points (flowers or chocolate covered strawberries). But some solid ones like 4x for nike or kohls, 10x for sephora, etc. Bout to get mothers day points and get some stuff for wifey and I.

Sooty likes this.