1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best credit card

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TL, Apr 25, 2017.

1. TL

TL Contributing Member

I need a new credit card that I will use exclusively for business expenses. Historically I have always used a corporate AmEx, but with the corporate shackles coming off, I can use whatever works best for me.

What is the best all around rewards card now? The standard to beat for me is the 2% cash back card. I'll be spending plenty on the card, and want to maximize the benefit. While the intro offers are great, I'm not jumping around from credit card to credit card every year. I want the one that seems to have the best net rewards.

Thanks!

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Do you travel frequently?

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely depends on what you intend to do with your points. You prefer cash back or travel?

4. TL

TL Contributing Member

Yup, I'll be on a plane every couple weeks at least. So if travel points / credit provides more value than the cash back, I will be able to put it to use.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have you considered the Surge MasterCard from Continental Finance?

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I'd say go with First Premiere Banks credit card. It's legit.

7. TL

TL Contributing Member

End goal is to get $$ out of it. I am indifferent as to whether that money comes from actual cash rewards versus travel credits that save cash on future expenses.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. That card is great, especially if you can get the 100k point sign up bonus.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Unfortunately that's not really the issue at hand when considering the premium travel cards (that have high annual fees).

The major travel cards have travel credits that knock down the annual fee to around $100 in most cases. It comes down to how you value things like upgraded hotel rooms when booking through the CC network (or on a hotel card), lounge access (e.g Amex centurion card), mileage bonuses (airline cards), early airplane boarding (airline cards), primary car insurance (e.g. Chase sapphire preferred), and dozens of other things.

Do you want a flat rate return on all spending or would you want the ability to book aspiration travel awards to exotic countries.

Its highly nebulous how much value each person derives out of a travel card because it depends on how much (and what type of) travel and how much total spending you're doing.

That being said if you prefer using the card for cash back OR domestic airline/economy ticket redemptions, then a flat cash back card is both easier and more logical.

The current big player in the travel game is the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

#9 xcrunner51, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    TL likes this.
  10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Definitely recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I actually use it for the exact same purpose as you are looking for (i.e. only for business expenses), and I've been very happy with it.

TL likes this.
  11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm using Capital One venture. Been a member for 2 months and have $600 in Rewards (60,000 miles). 40,000 miles came in the promo (40000 miles for spending $3000 in 3 months), but annual fee in 0 this year and $59 after that.

TL and LCAhmed like this.
  12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I think that promo expired in March.

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Chass Sapphire Reserve - 3x points on Travel/food expenses.

It's a 50k signup bonus now I believe.

TL likes this.
  14. body slam

body slam Member

Whats the best with no annual fees? Just for rewards points or cash back. No miles since I don't really travel that often.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

1.5% cashback. Barclay and Cap One Silver. Capitol One Silver lets you cash out multiple ways. I found a 2% but I believe it had an annual fee.

body slam likes this.
  16. TL

TL Contributing Member

Fidelity Rewards has a 2% VISA that I use for personal stuff (no annual fee). Citi has a 2%, too, but not sure if that has a fee.

jbasket and body slam like this.
  17. TL

TL Contributing Member

Gracias. The enhanced hotel/airline status (upgrades, etc) have no value to me. I travel enough to get those anyway. It's mostly about the net $$ benefit. If I spend $100k with a 2% card, I will get $2k back. If I spend $100k on Chase Sapphire Reserve any idea if it will get me that much in travel credits?

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Signup Bonus aside you should be able to get more value out of out $100k spending on a good travel card than a flat cash back card.

It just depends on your spending mix (stuff getting 3x rewards for dining/travel vs 1% on general spending) AND what you'd be using the points on.

No idea on how much because if you were to spend your points on a first trip to Africa on some ridiculous foreign airline you could get way more value than $2000.

Btw, I heard there was a 2.5% cash back card at USAA with no annual fee. But I don't know if that is widely available.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I use Citi Double Cash Card for all my purchases, period. When you do the math, even the best point system never equate to more than a 1:1 redemption ratio. So why go through all the hassle and limits? That said, the only time I'd recommend a points card is if the signup bonus offer is generous like Chase Sapphire Reserve or revolving categories with 5% cash back like Discover.

Also checkout https://www.nerdwallet.com for the best card comparisons.

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Depends, chase rewards will allow you to transfer the points directly to their travel partners (flights or hotels). I found much higher value transferring to my southwest account and booking flights that way than cash back. Also booking directly through chase rewards for flights or hotels or whatever is a higher value than cash back. The Points guy puts a value of 2.1 cents per point which is pretty high for a rewards card (more than double your cash back value).

TL likes this.