1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bengals, Andy Dalton agree to six-year deal

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 4, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As ESPN reported, Bengals have agreed to a six-year, $115 million deal with QB Andy Dalton. Details will tell us more on the commitment.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/496303229060521984">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This has to be structured to allow the Bengals to cut Dalton after a year or two without much penalty, like Kap's contract with the 49ers. If not, the Bengals tied themselves to a millstone.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow. From rumors of him being traded to a 6 year $115 million contract? JHM.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Surprised that McNair hasn't given Fitzpatrick the same deal. Will likely happen after he breaks Schaub's interception record.

I know, I am being morbidly negative, but I just can believe that OBrien is hanging his career on this guy. Maybe he will shock us all. I can only hope, but prior observations of Fitzpatrick's career says otherwise.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wow, unless that there is some kind of cap friendly early out for the Bengals that contract is going to be a disaster.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was thinking the same. . . Dalton is better than Fitz but dunno if he will get
    beyond the first round

Rocket River

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Poor Ziggy.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Still a young kid and has helped his team get to the playoffs every year he's been in the league. You got to have a quarterback in the NFL and you have to pay to keep them.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The premium you pay these days when you actually find a QB who doesn't suck.

10. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

LOL, what do you expect him to do? He was handed 3 scrub QB's. The best of the bunch had to go because Reliant or whatever it is now called would have gone down in flames if Matty came out to start game 1 of this season.

Should BOB put his stock in a 4th round rookie or an undrafted FA who is sucking it up camp? Let me guess, you think he should have passed on Clowney and put all his eggs in Johnnies basket...

11. basketballholic

You may find out this season that Dalton is not better than Fitz.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd rather have Fitz at the price we are paying him than Dalton at that price. Dalton is barely above average. Has a stacked team around him, lots of options, good defense.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

We would have a lot more to look forward to don't you think?

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

He has improved statistically each year in the league. He likely would have gotten more if he hit the open market next offseason even if he simply repeated his past performance this season. Dalton gets judged in total (fair or not) on three bad playoff performances.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You think the Bengals are stacked?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The NFL films guy was on Cowherd last week and gave his unbiased opinion of rosters throughout the league. I say unbiased because... well, unlike a "reporter", the guy isn't really biased. And he's seen a crapton of film.

He thinks the Bengals have the best roster but for QB.

It's not a huge stretch. Crazy stout defense. Good running game and o-line. Playmaking receivers. It's a really really good, balanced roster. Unfortunately, they have Dalton at QB... who isn't bad... but needs a Flacco like post-season run to make some noise. I think he has that run in him... but maybe once in the next 6 years, and maybe not, and who knows what the Bengals roster will be like over that time frame.

17. Major

Major Member

Last year, Bengals gave the fewest points in the AFC so their defense is pretty well set. They have an all-world WR in AJ Green and a pretty good RB in Bernard. Marvin Jones looks to be a legit #2 receiver and Gresham is at least decent at TE. Not sure about their O-Line, but I'd say the one thing holding them back from being better than the 11 wins they had is QB. Andy Dalton is Schaub-lite - he's good enough to win a lot of games, but unlikely to be good enough to win a SB unless everything else goes perfectly. And each postseason implosion just puts more pressure on him the next postseason.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

cool..thanks for the info. I have to say that, aside from the playoff games, I haven't watched much Bengal football.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, this guy is a one-trick-pony.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you expand on this a little? I know the figures look similar, but how is it structured so that if he's cut, there isn't much penalty? Are the future cap hits after a player is cut based solely on the amount of guaranteed money? Thanks in advance to anyone with info.