1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#BeMoreLikeCalifornia] Berkeleyans: Don’t Shade Me, Bro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I just...can’t...take them seriously.

Just more proof that people like this care only about their own self interest (yes, I’m senile). When the **** they have let come into the country and go on unabated shows up in their backyard as an excessive sunlight-blocking monstrosity, aiming to make rents more affordable, and they revolt against it — there is no way to take them seriously anymore.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, as I understand it, the township has ordinances on how you're allowed to build, a developer is asking for a variance so they don't have to follow those rules, locals insist the rules be enforced, so now they might not be able to build the way they want. And you think that's unreasonable?

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Smh....of all the things in the world to get angry about lol

4. Major

Major Member

It's seems like whoever feeds Cohete his links to re-post is trolling him now and seeing if he literally will just post anything and defend it.

Joshfast and R0ckets03 like this.
  5. Cohete Rojo

Some people think of this as the new red lining. But hey, what do they know?

6. adoo

adoo Member

that sums it up well.

this (locals insisting that building codes/ordinances be followed by developers) happens thru out the US,
    • in liberal areas, such as Berkeley, CA and conservative areas,
      • such as Irvine, CA, as well as red state Georgia and other parts of the US
    some intellectually dishonest people just cherry-picks Berkeley, and intentionally omits mentioning Irvine, Georgia and other conservative leaning districts. Cohete is merely parroting this one-sided reporting

7. Cohete Rojo

What-aboutism much?

8. adoo

adoo Member

actually, no.

i was pointing out the half-azzed reporting by the link that you had referenced. and the ignorance shown by you,
    when you present that link as if it is gospel !

the conflict between developers and local folks permeates thru out the USA, the link that you had referenced
    makes it out that Berkeley, a liberal urban college town in CA, was the only one. any reporter would have research about
    other urban college town in CA. Irvine, CA is also an urban college town; it has also been embroiled in many battles w developers.
    the difference is that

the Irvine residents represent the opposite end of the political spectrum from the Berkeley residents​

#8 adoo, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Berkley has done way stupider things.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what they’ve been saying for decades: so goes Berkeley, California, so goes the nation.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I just...can’t...take Cohete Rojo seriously.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Was wondering where the next trump supporter safe zone was going to be...

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Dat Maternal mortality rate tho

14. JuanValdez

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't the developer go ahead and build if he complied with city ordinance and did not ask for a variance? How is it redlining to say no to a variance if the developer can just change his plan and build anyway?

15. Cohete Rojo

San Francisco has similar rules regarding shadows. I picked Berkeley to point out its hypocrisy. We can say the same thing about San Francisco.

16. Cohete Rojo

I don't know all about that. Maybe you could answer your question. My point was to highlight the "let them eat cake" attitude of Berkeleyans. With the number of half-wit, one line responses I've received, I see I have been successful.

17. JuanValdez

I wouldn't say you've been successful. I see Berkeley engaged in the same sort of quality of life and real estate value protection that property owners all over the country engage in. If you wanted to show that they're somehow different from the petty tyrants in Katy or West U, I don't think it's been demonstrated.

18. adoo

adoo Member

ur adding SF into the discussion undercuts ur convenient claim of hypocrisy.

UR just projecting ur ignorance, not knowing that Berkeley is a suburb of SF. the building ordinances / codes / regulations there reflect the values of the residents who live in the SF bay area. it shows consistency in value indigenous to the SF Bay area

#18 adoo, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I remember when West U was a beautiful little neighborhood. Now it's filled with McMansions all over the place. Heck, a friend of mine built one of them years ago (then sold it for a profit, the turkey). I ribbed him unmercifully at the time because I was seeing what I liked about West U disappearing. We almost bought a house on a big corner lot there, the streets lined with trees, for $50,000 from a friend of my sister's. We moved to Austin instead.

20. Cohete Rojo

You said I was racist because I proposed that the non-white Houston Independent School District be broken up. That and these responses of yours say more than enough about who you really are.