1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm really interested in seeing where this thread was intended to go. Then where it ends up.

Almost looks like some kind of perception exercise.

1 person likes this.
  2. amak316

amak316 Member

poorly disguised op troll. No wonder there is so much hate on the board when the site moderator trolls the most controversial issue in GARM

1 person likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Clutch doesn't hate Lin. If we feel annoyed by some Lin fans, imagine how Clutch feels about having to deal with these posters.

But tbh, I don't get the point of this thread.

5. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

well stated

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would say he hasn't based on the context of being an offensive spark.

Offensive spark to me is someone that can come off the bench for 10 points plus a game.

Lin right now is averaging 11.4 points per game this playoffs series, but its not a consistent 11-12 points per game its:

14 game 1
    5 game 2
    13 game 3
    4 game 4
    21 game 5

there is a large spread here he has scored as low as 4 points and as high as 21.

his numbers are slightly below his season averages so maybe he is just doing what he has done during the season so we are expecting too much maybe of him?

If he was a consistent 11.4 a game (like he would score between 11-12 per game rather than the large spread) we would have probably won game 4 and games 2 and 5 would have been complete toss ups. so even if the rockets split those toss up games they would still be ahead in the series 3-2 if it was a consistent 11.4 a game.

7. naesoon

naesoon Member

Can there be a poll on whether we think Lin can be a difference maker like in last night's game when he leads the offense and plays longer minutes consistently? I ask this because it's obvious when he plays limited minutes in most games and doesn't play as a PG, he tends to be ineffective. It doesn't mean he still won't make mistakes or he'll help the team win every time, but he plays better with the ball in his hands.

8. klkl96

klkl96 Member

really don't know this poll does any good to the divided fan base and why we need to go back to debate that after game 5.

--he had a wonderful game 5!
    --no no no he still sucked earlier

This post shows clearly Clutch is a biased person and why this board is a mess.

2 people like this.
  9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

eh I have my opinions of Clutch, and I think he comes across (at least to me, who is a relative stranger and really unbiased in that I don't care how he comes across lol) in a very obvious and specific way.

But at the end of the day, it's his forum. We certainly don't pay for it, so short of a Donald Sterling moment, he can pretty much start any thread he wants :p

1 person likes this.
  10. rev1274

rev1274 Member

Clutch:
    That's it. FINAL: Blazers 123, Rockets 120 (OT). Backs to the wall, now down 3-1 in series. Going to be a long, long night for Jeremy Lin

Guy:
    @clutchfans We're putting this on Lin? Come on, now.

Clutch:
    @Owlan1 No doubt about it.

Guy:
    @clutchfans I'm going to assume you're kidding and move on with my life.

This clearly says he's not watching Harden's game at all.

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I interpret the question of offensive "spark" as someone who gets the team going offensively. I'm going to say he has been an offensive spark; it's his individual play that has been inconsistent and poor.

When he's on the floor, the ball moves around better, and the offense flows better (remember, this is all relative to the awful choices the Rockets have as ball-handlers) and there are +/- offensive stats to support it.

12. conquistador#11

Almost won you game 1 in o.t, won you game 3 in Ot and game 5.*

I said in another thread that his stats coming off the bench are better than toni kukoc's playoff stats, who was regarded as one of the best 6th man and 'spark plugs' in the 90s. Lin is not jesus, he can't turn 10 FGAs into 20 points. This is a team where shots are not a luxury, not when you have hungry dwight wanting to dominate and dominate he has and Harden who wants to give the ball a happy ending each time he caresses it.

*no one really wins by himself but if you're going to blame him for losing a game by himself, it has to swing both ways.

2 people like this.
  13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I do think Clutch is quite biased, and I agree with Easy that his attitude in part contributes to the divisive nature of the GARM (much like a head coach and his influence/control of his players/lockerroom), but that's a TERRIBLE example.

I totally put Game 4 on Lin too haha. Harden had a decent Game 4...and Lin practically single-handily lost that game for us...still burns...

14. naesoon

naesoon Member

Yup, I'm a bit surprised that Clutch would do this (actually, not really). He knows that this is going to get a lot of responses I guess. Sigh.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't understand what's the purpose of this thread, the answer is FALSE, because he did that in game ONE.

Clutch has been fair in my 10+ years here, most of the time, but I have sensed a lot of negativity towards Lin from Clutch in the past year or so, particularly the past couple of months. I understand that it's very annoy there are so many non-Rockets fans come here just to worship Lin, but that's not Lin's fault. He is one of the Rockets, all the true Rockets fan should treat him just as any other Rockets player, and cheer for his success.

Back to the poll, Lin has been the 2nd best Rockets in this series, with Howard be the far dominating leader. The 4th game he didn't play particularly well, but the guy did make a fantastic stealing & winning pass in OT.

What more do you expect your 6th man to do, while your max player has been your worst player in the series so far.

Be fair, and cheer for your Rockets player.

2 people like this.
  16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the ONLY bias Clutch has is a Houston Rockets bias -- to say that is a complete slap in the face of a person who created this website and board back when Jeremy Lin was 8 years old putting his own time and money towards a team he loved. He eventually started to ask for people to contribute -- if they wished to -- to the upkeep of the board since traffic increased and it wasn't easy for a man with a family with 4 children to pay hundreds of dollars a month towards a hobby.

On top of that -- if you feel that the board is a mess -- no one -- especially Clutch is twisting your arm to be here. Its all voluntary you can best voice your statement of saying this board is terrible by not participating and leaving.

I for the life of me can't believe people are taking shots at the guy who built this place and like that they feel entitled and that posting is a right not a privilege. There are many other boards out there with much stricter mods who ban at the drop of a hat anyone who crosses them.

What Clutch asked in this poll is a legitimate question -- Jeremy Lin's role for this team IS supposed to be that 6th man/spark off the bench. Outside of the game last night -- has he done a good job of that? I for the life of me cant see the crazy bias or 'hating' in that question. Literally every podcast he has done after games have questioned Harden and his performance so creating one poll is all of a sudden makes it that he hates Lin?

:rolleyes:

4 people like this.
  17. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

Because Lin's threads attract most clicks, and never die. They can generate revenue from advertisement inside all the Lin threads. :eek:

18. amak316

amak316 Member

If he had been impartial at other times I'd be much more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think at this point "the numbers are clear" Clutch doesn't care for Lin.

And I don't care if he doesn't care for Lin, that is his opinion and hes allowed to have it. I however do not care for his passive aggressive way of repeatedly bringing up this issue, and creating a culture where its okay to be disrespectful to other posters with differing opinions. NYK message boards never had even 1/10th the lack of respect that this one has and thus there were no "[x]OF" they all were simply Knick fans.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The answer to the question posed is clearly and obviously false. If the subjective term "great job of sparking the offense" can be judge by the defined by the avg spectrum of statistical avgs of this years 6th man of the year candidates, then the Jeremy Lin's performance in games 1 and 2 empirically resolve the question to be FALSE.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/04/02/sixth-man-candidates-by-the-numbers/

Markieff Morris 13.8 6.0 1.7 51.1%
    Taj Gibson 74 13.3 6.9 1.1 48.5%
    A Varejao 8.6 10.0 2.2 49.4%
    Tyreke Evans 14.0 4.6 4.9 44.1%
    Reggie Jackson 13.3 3.9 4.2 48.0%
    Jamal Crawford 18.6 2.3 3.2 49.9%
    Vince Carter 12.1 3.6 2.7 50.0%

In game 1 Lin scored 14 points grabbed 6 boards and dished out 4 assist. shooting 45% 5-11. 1/3 from threes with 2 TO.

In game 3 Lin scored 13 points grabbed 4 boards and had 6 assist shooting 45% 5-11 1-4 from threes and 1 TO.

His performance in these two games is well within the range of those avgd by the very best 6th men in the league in 2014 who's role asides from AVarajao were to spark the offense and lead the second unit. If a bench player performing at the level candidates for of 6th men of the year is not worthy enough to be deemed having done a "great job sparking the offense" I'm curious what is.

Again this seems obvious, especially since the question is having ever (opposite of hadnt) meaning in any game, sparked the offense.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Game 4 was horrible for Lin and it wasn't just about one bad play. He missed 3 layups at the rim that didn't seem to come with much contact. Defensively, he's done well, as well as he can i guess, but offensively he hasn't been a "great" spark, until last night.