1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AWJGTI] Clint Capela's Historic Per-Minute Productivity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Clint is younger than both Dekker and Harrell (and in fact is the youngest guy on the NBA roster who doesn't suck), yet I feel like he gets noticeably less love on this board. Consider the following:

Players age-22 or younger who've averaged 17+ points, 11+ rebounds, and 2+ blocks per 36 (min. 20 mpg)

1. Bob McAdoo
    2. Darryl Dawkins
    3. Hakeem Olajuwon
    4. Shawn Kemp
    5. Shaquille O'Neal
    6. Dwight Howard
    7. Clint Capela
    8. Joel Embiid

Players to do that while shooting >60% from the field:

1. Clint Capela

On top of the raw numbers, Clint's clearly getting more and more comfortable passing the ball, his FT issues appear to be working themselves out, and by all accounts he's an incredibly diligent worker. And he was the 25th pick of the draft!

The mere fact that basketballholic/jopatmc is so low on the guy should give us all a lot of hope. Once Clint gets strong enough to hold his position in the post and on the boards, he'll be an absolute monster. I wouldn't even consider trading him for someone like Boogie Cousins.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not fan of per36 stats but going by eye test he's a wonderful player...to me he was already better than Dwight after he played cuople of games in the spring of 2015...
    i guess montrdekker get more love because we somehow consider Cap a kind of vet already because these 2 only now getting meaningful minutes

heypartner, Mazulis and Tha_Dude like this.
  3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I love this post, this is a really good post. I don't think the founders had Clint Capela in mind when they designed the constitution, man.

BigMaloe, Remlap, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clint Capela has been our best MJ impersonator, that alone should warrant LOVE.

He rendered Dwight's (the) Voice obsolete.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Tha_Dude

Dwight rendered himself obsolete, man. He kidnapped himself.

But damn, dude can't stop laughing right now about how all of this turned out. It's just ****ing funny, dude.

heypartner, topfive and Ramo$e like this.
  6. dharocks

Patience, vator and Tha_Dude like this.
  7. Tha_Dude

#7 Tha_Dude, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think Capela is under appreciated, we just don't talk about him as much because there's nothing to b**** about regarding him and everyone already said how awesome he is, just like with Harden how many people keep posting how great Harden is?

You're right though Capela should be untouchable on this team, he's pretty much the perfect complement to Harden so even if someone offers another franchise player like Cousins you don't do it. I think getting him so low somewhat makes up for passing on Jordan, Kawhi Leonard and Batum. At least now the Rox also have a low pick that turned into a star lol.

9. dharocks

Don't censor yourself, Dude. For your information, the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint. Anyway, since you asked, one more tidbit:

Per 100-possessions:

Player A (age-22): 23.5 PTS/ 16.3 REB / 1.8 AST / 3.3 BLK / 2.6 TOV / 5.1 PF / 118 ORTG / 104 DRTG
    Player B (age-22): 25.1 PTS / 15.3 REB / 3.1 AST / 3.3 BLK / 3.9 TOV / 5.2 PF / 111 ORTG / 100 DRTG

Player A: Clint Capela
    Player B:
    [​IMG]

vator and Tha_Dude like this.
  10. dharocks

Probably true, but if nothing else this balances out the D-Mo madness somewhat by dedicating another thread to a deserving player.

11. Nivos

Nivos Member

Very nice post, and great stats by Clint.
    I love Capela and I really don't like doing trades unless they are significant and give as a real chance to contend.
    Having said that I think Cousins is a game changer. If somehow we manage to convince Sacramento to give up Cousins for Capela and McDaniels (even adding a 1st rounder is worth it) I would do it in a heart beat.
    We are a great team but we do need that extra star power to be taken seriously as contenders.
    Capela showing those stats is great, more because he might be converted to a much greater player.

12. Tha_Dude

These are some orgasmic things here, man. I think I need to find a cash machine.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Capela is a garbage man, but he's a garbage man that knows he's a garbage man, unlike the last guy.

KDavis likes this.
  14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Clint is an absolute beast for a support player. Dream and Shaq were both primary options that you could just dump the ball into and let them work. Clint is not that guy and he doesn't try to pretend he is (unlike Dwight). The real beauty of Clint IMO is that he knows what he is and plays to his strengths. He is a good rebounder, a great pick and roll player and a nice soft touch around the basket. He is usually a good defender and can block some shots. Essentially Clint is playing the way we wanted Dwight to play.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is obviously the key if he wants to become more important offensively.

As is he hits the offensive numbers because he's in the perfect fit in this system with James.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Capela has no upside and is just waiting to be traded

- _holic

17. CertifiedTroll

Who is the guy in the spoiler picture?

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of Capela (started the Capela will be a star thread) but I think it's important to differentiate when comparing him to guys on the lists in this thread. Capela rarely creates his own offense. The majority of his offense comes off of easy baskets created for him by Harden or putbacks so it is difficult to compare his offensive efficiency numbers to guys like Hakeem or Yao.

ajc123 and Ramo$e like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's been great, hopefully he can be playing over 30 minutes by the end of the season

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Gsw didnt had extra star power and they took the title and become best rs team of all time broke all the records etc
    Dallas 2011 as well
    Pistons in 2000s etc

What happened with gsw players is that they first overachieved and only then they become recognized as stars
    Nobody took gsw as serious contenders before 2014/15 season started and even early in that season...people even thought they werent contenders until the very finals because they were jumpshooting team...

vator and FANfrom86toNow like this.