1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto Accidents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was in a 3 vehicle collision today. I was in my Chevy Tracker and was sandwiched between a GMC Sierra and a Lexus RX. The driver of the Lexus RX was at fault. It was a woman with a daughter, about the same age of my own daughter (3).

As I was being taken care of by EMTs and several nurses on scene, the driver kept coming to check on me and she was distraught and crying. It made me feel bad that even though she was OK, she felt the way she did, maybe you just had to be there to understand where I am coming from.

Anyway, I'd like to write some type of letter to her, based on the information I obtain from the police report. Would there be any possible repercussions to doing this?

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Is she a German au pair?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wonder if you say "it's ok, don't worry about it" or something to that effect in the letters, she could turn around and use that to free herself (and her insurance) from any fault.

Did the popo' report state who's at fault?

1 person likes this.
  4. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Maybe this is my crazy mistrustful self talking, but until everything gets settled with insurance and whatnot, I would just leave it be and then write her something afterwards when your words cannot be held against you in a court of law.

1 person likes this.
  5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you have to be selfish at this point and protect yourself. people can manipulate others easily by catering to their sympathies. give her the benefit of the doubt and just verbally thank her but don't do anything that could come back to haunt you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lil Pun

Hmmm, no but that funny that you ask that. I actually knew a German au pair who came over to the states. She is hot! Why was this brought up?

7. Lil Pun

Police jumped in the ambulance and said it was her fault and I kid you not said these exact words:

"Her insurance checked out and she's driving a Lexus so you don't have anything to worry about." :confused:

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

9. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Chevy tracker what?
    Chevy tracker who?
    I guess you gonna be driving a Lexus now.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My guess is that your insurance company would advise you to not do this until after everything is settled.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lil Pun

I am going to wait.

12. bobrek

You may want to say something like "I know that accidents happen and even though you were at fault...."

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Just wait and let the insurance take care of everything. I would not try to contact her at all even after it's settled.

1 person likes this.
  14. Lil Pun

Thanks for the pointer. :)

Some other questions concerning this:

I've never been in an accident where I was the owner of the car. The last accident I was in was my aunt's car but it was still the other person's fault. The insurance company paid for my hospital and doctor bills as well as provided payment to me for pain suffering and loss of wages.

They decided that my aunts car was worth so much but fixing it would be more than what the car was worth so they considered it a totaled vehicle. They paid off what was left on the car and provided payment to my aunt for the car as they took ownership of it. I'm guessing they sold it at auction or to a junk dealer or somebody who would fix it up.

Should I expect something similarly to happen here? What could I expect that would be different?

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I was about to chime in with this.

Was there a police report? Did the police give anyone a citation or ticket for being at fault? I only saw "report", but don't know who got a written violation statement, so I would probably say not to. UNLESS she contacts you, do not contact her. Talk to your insurance agent about the incident but don't claim anything yet, unless you want your agent to deal with your repairs, etc., and you cannot. I would suppose your agency won't get involved if you weren't at fault.

It is human to feel empathetic when someone is as distraught as she was, or if she was acting, it made an impact on you. You're a human.

Glad to hear you're doing fine, Pun, and won't miss watching any Eagles' or Rockets' games. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  16. bobrek

Once upon a time, we had a spate of bad luck where two cars were stolen out of our driveway. My wife's Firebird was never found. They paid us for it, but it was less than what we owed. The claim was that the Blue Book value was not as important as the 'used car sale' value.

6 months later, my 4 year old Jeep Cherokee was stolen out of our driveway. It was eventually found, with the tires, radio, speakers and battery gone (nothing special about any of them). A small window was broken and the rotors would need replacing due to being dragged along at some point. Prior to it being found, I found a few Jeeps in the sale section of the paper (no Internet back then), that were being offered for more than what was owed on my Jeep so I saved that just in case. Eventually, they claimed that they were totaling it, because even though it cost less to fix than what it was worth, if we found something else wrong, it might push it over the totaled value. They offered us more than what I saw in the paper, so we took it. We assumed that they ended up fixing it and selling it.

A side note to all this is that State Farm tried to cancel our policy due to our bad luck. After a lot of terse conversations with them, they did not cancel and they did not raise our rates.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Did you get hurt at all in the accident? Whiplash ect?

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Glad you're OK.

Everyone knows that when you buy a Lexus you sign a contract to take care of any potential wreck victims for life.

1 person likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Better call Saul

20. Lil Pun

My left arm has cuts, scrapes and burns on it. I have chest and abdominal bruises from the seat belt. I'm in pain from the waste up but most severely on the left side of my body.

Soon after the wreck happened, I jumped out of my car because it was smoking inside and I feared it was on fire or was about to be. Several nurses happened to be where I was and said I was stumbling and they made me lie down. The firefighters and EMTs on scene made me put on a neck brace and made me get on a spine board as a precaution and I was taken to the hospital. They did x-rays and CT scans but everything appeared to be fine. Just recovering now.