1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros show interest in Hunter, Rowand

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Oct 30, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I just noticed this post.

OK, by this logic, no more complaining about the Taveras trade. If what the Astros think obviously is correct, then no more second-guessing of any move, ever.

2. The Cat

Ah, I see. So because Scott's not as good as a couple of All-Star centerfielders with similar offensive production and world-class defense, that means he sucks and no one likes him!

Some of you have the most all or nothing approach I've ever seen. There's a level between being Albert Pujols and being Brad Ausmus.

3. The Cat

How am I supposed to prove something that's implicit? To me, knowing Major's posting history here, it was obvious he was lumping Scott in the same class of players as Ensberg and Burke. No, I can't prove it, but it seems fairly obvious.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

pot meet kettle. since when does falling out of favor mean out right disdain? Not to mention what started all of this, you took an extremely simple and straightforward post from major and turned it into something else.

5. The Cat

In this case, it does. The alternative to Burke was Craig Biggio, a .720 OPS player in 2006. The alternatives to Ensberg were Mike Lamb, a proven part-time player, and Mark Loretta, a .700 OPS player in 2006.

If you can't figure out the difference between wanting a player to be benched for Lamb/Loretta/Biggio and the difference between wanting a player to be benched for Torii Hunter or Aaron Rowand, I don't know what to say.

People like Luke Scott. But this is a strong market for center fielders, and if one becomes available, shifting his bat to the bench is an acceptable loss for those fans. People did not like Morgan Ensberg or Chris Burke, and wanted each on the bench regardless of the alternative.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Sure thing. Here's my explanation:

Torii Hunter > Luke Scott
    Aaron Rowand > Luke Scott
    Mike Scott > Luke Scott

make sense? Awesome.

7. msn

msn Member

You forgot Tony Scott. He was one of my favorites as a kid. *Loved* that fro comin' out from under his cap. Still have his baseball card.

8. msn

msn Member

Forgot to mention he was a CF.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

er... for the record I was comparing them in the sense that up until Ensberg totally cratered there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about Lamb and Loretta's at bats (even when both of the latter were fairly hot)...there has always been a segment of the SABR community that has howled about Chris Burke being blocked by Craig Biggio (and clearly that is NOT an opinion shared by the typical MMP ticket buyer)...and now Luke Scott is going to be the favorite of a lot of the same folks who supported Morgan and Chris.

To be fair I was also comparing Luke to Morgan in the sense that I would like to see him continue to produce for a while before I am ready to pencil in his production at last years level. However, this is also true of Hunter Pence who walks less and is thus probably more popular with "joe fan" than the Bill James guys.

For the record I like Luke Scott. I have never been a fan of "skypointing" Christianity...but I do like a guy who has fun out there..and by all indications Luke Scott loves to play.