1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros extend qualifying offer to Colby Rasmus

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros made a qualifying offer to outfielder Colby Rasmus today, General Manager Jeff Luhnow announced.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/662731306195775488">November 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was wrong. I am excited.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

so...

we get a first round pick if he doesnt sign? either 1) comp round if non-playoff team, or the pick of the playoff team that signs him? is that correct?

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

He will probably not signed, and look for a 2 or 3 year deal instead.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Rasmus might be the first one to take it but I like playing the percentages here. Makes sense.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Why just a year though? Doubt he takes it.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So they can receive a draft pick if/when he refuses and signs elsewhere

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

correct

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Astros would get a comp pick either way. Signing team loses their first pick (top 10 protected), but it is not transferred like it used to be.

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I thought Rasmus was talking retirement before last season. How confident are we that he'll reject the QO?

I'm wondering what we can expect Crane to spend next year and if this would be the Astros big FA acquisition should Rasmus accept..

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Never mind about the retirement part. He said he wanted to play 2015 and then 3 more seasons in a MLBTR article.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

no way he accepts that deal, thats why the astros gave it to him. he'll want a multi year deal.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Typically, you would be right

He strikes me as a different kind of guy though. If he really does just want to play a few more years and then retire to a cattle ranch, he might be the guy that would rather take one guaranteed year of great money to stay where he is happy, as opposed to going somewhere he might not be happy but with more money.

It's not like it will cripple any kind of budget if he takes that offer for one year either. Any financial concerns the team would likely have would be in signing guys to long term deals, where they will be owed big money when guys like Keuchel, Springer, Correa etc.. are due to get paid

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

I hope he comes back.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm ambivalent. If he happens to be the first FA to accept the QO, no big deal. He played last season on a below market contract IMHO. If we got him for $16m next year then its basically a 2 year/$24m contract which isn't unreasonable for his level of production.

If he chooses to sign elsewhere and gift us a supplemental pick, I'd be happy with that too.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I imagine the Astros are fine either way. Obviously getting a comp pick for a guy we signed for nothing is a good thing, particularly given how effective the Luhnow admin has been at using picks.

If he does take it that's fine too. He's a valuable player, and he fills a possible hole that his departure would create. 15 million is a few million more that we would like to pay him, but on a one year deal how big an issue is 3 or 4 million in the grand scheme?

Not extending to QO was the only bad result IMO. I don't think the Astros plan on offering him big multi year deal, at least not one that's on par with what he could probably make elsewhere.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems like most think the Astros won't try to sign him to a 2-3 year deal if he rejects the QO... intriguing.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Seems like they have someone bigger in mind. Gordon.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think it was a great move, as he would be a very good player for us if we can play him in LF hitting 6th in the lineup.
    If he goes, we get a pick.

Rasmus is not worth 15 million, but 11-12 is fair for his service, especially if we consider him as a center fielder.

Now, it should not stop there, we need another hitter, at 1b or 3b. If we get Davis, then we are set.

1. Altuve 2b
    2. Springer rf
    3. Correa SS
    4. Davis 1b/DH
    5. Gomez CF
    6. Rasmus LF
    7. Gattis DH
    8. Valbuena/Lowrie 3b
    9. Castro C

If we get Davis and Rasmus back, then Tucker will go to triple A. I think Singleton will get his last chance to play some 1b and DH for the club, if he is unable to get traded.

I also think Villar is player that can do the job at SS for a team that has the time to develop him.

A package of Singleton and Villar should bring something good back, with another prospect.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

7 and 8th needs an upgrade.

20. Buck Turgidson

MmmmHmmmm.

Not even Thanksgiving and he's still, still, playing "Here's My Lineup!"

Every. ****ing. Day.