1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming we're actually down to 2 candidates, who do you pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Jun 2, 2003.

?

Dunleavy or JVG?

1. Jeff Van Gundy

125 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Mike Dunleavy

103 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Sane

Sane Member

Let's see what people here want to see.

Dunleavy is essentially an uptempo coach, with balanced offense and defense. He uses tons of energy, an dhas made good use of too much depth before. He has Houston ties, and is dying for this job, indicating that he is ready and has plans.

Jeff Van Gundy is a younger coach who led his overachieving Knicks team to the NBA finals without it's C, Patrick Ewing. SOME say he walked out on hist eam, but the truth is, he got them winning right before he left, so that they'd be in position to still make the playoffs. He's defense first, and his offense has been criticized for being boring, uncreative, and slow. However, the important thing is that he wins, and he would undoubtedly make us one of the top 3 defensive teams in the NBA.

Which one do you go for?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Why are they taking so long? We are watching the coachs go to other teams...

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'd take Van Gundy. Primarily because he reminds me nothing of Rudy T, whereas Mike Dunleavy does. Not that it's a bad thing to be like Rudy T, but I just don't understand the point in getting rid of him (provided he was helped out the door) if all we were going to do is get a coach with a similar coaching style and demeanor.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While Brown or Carlisle would have been better choices (and I am glad the team at least considered Silas), between JVG and Dunleavy I go for JVG. Dunleavy just seems "re-treadish" to me. While he has a Houston tie-in, and has had success in POR and LAL, I think JVG would provide a more significant jolt to the franchise and get them headed in the right direction faster.

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

NEITHER - - NEVER ! ! !

I do not see either of them being an improvement over last season, at least not enough to expect a big difference.

The Rockets will make the playoffs simply b/c there are teams that were in front of them are not going to make the playoffs next season.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I like Dunleavy and Van Gundy almost equally.

If I were CD and Les, I would base my final decision upon who either candidate listed as their coaching staff. IOW, if Van Gundy can come up with a strong offensive coordinator or Dunleavy says he has a good shot at landing the NBA's next great defensive mind...that would be my choice.

Yes, Larry Brown would have been great for numerous reasons and that is unquestionable (at least for the short-term). But IMHO, the gap between Brown and MD or JVG can be significantly narrowed (dare I say surpassed?) with a great coaching staff.

I could easily live with something approaching the following scenarios:

Dunleavy with a Kevin O'Neill-type and 2nd assistant Mario Ellie

or

JVG with an Eddie Jordan-type and 2nd assistant Avery Johnson

(O'Neill was Carlisle's assistant at Detroit and Jordan is Scott's assistant at NJ).

#6 GATER, Jun 2, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  7. GATER

Because Dunleavy's next best offer is Atlanta and they can't do anything until David McDavid officially buys the team...could be a month+ and JVG is under contract to the Knicks until July 31st and he probably would stay at TNT rather than go to Washington if the Houston job isn't offered to him.

Patience is a virtue...:D

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Gater said it. maybe we wait till Nellie's situation is cleared up. Maybe we give Carslisle a call at least. No reason not to.

Both Dunleavy and JVG would pummel each other in a death match to get the job. That being said, right now, my vote goes to Van Grundy.

He is more of a hardass, which is exactly what we need. I just don't know if Francis and Mobley are ready to accept hardass tactics from Van Grundy. From Brown, yes. He has universal respect. From JVG, dunno. We need to find out.

9. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Van Gundy is way overrated. We don't need an Eastern Conference cast off who hasn't even been sought after until just recently, and that's just because he is a "name". The guy isn't even a decent announcer.

Dunleavy seems like the best of the rest. That's not necessarily a good thing. he has Western Conference and Rockets experience. He is somewhat in tune with younger players (at least he has an NBA kid that age). Management obviously knows him. He won't have the baby sitting problems he had at Portland.

Dunleavy and a really good big man assistant could be a nice combination. Bring in Rambis and Jim Cleamons too...

10. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Gater, please forgive my ignorance, but I keep hearing the names of Avery & Ellie from board members. What are their credentials (other than hard nose players) to be so "highly" regarded?

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with GATER in thinking we need a complete STAFF, no matter who gets the head coach job.

I think we should move Van Chancellor up. He is a hard-ass, a teacher, very smart, used to egos and whiners, and can turn on the charm when needed. He is a great, great assistant prospect.
    Otherwise, everyone in the league wants to steal Eddie Jordan. Cleamons could be nice. Get someone.

I'd like a big man assistant. Bill Russell, Kareem, Mo Malone, Hakeem - whatever. Get one of them. Several want the Yao job.

I'd like a smalls assistant. Mario Elie for toughness, dirty work. Dennis Johnson. Avery Johnson. Good guys that understand the game, that can show guards how to win.

example :

A staff of Dunleavy, Van, Kareem, and Mario

would make me feel more confident we'd get player development, good game decisions, teaching, reasonable substitutions: a good chance to win tonight and a consistantly better team with each month.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Van gundy is the classic example of why the nba has so many low scoring teams. He micro-manages the game entirely too much. He calls every play from thesideline and his teams are most of the time poor offensively. I don't really care for the 2 candidates left.

13. Toast

Toast Member

I knew something like this would happen. Now that Brown's off the board, if you ask me, there are no coaches left that offer any real coaching improvement over Rudy T. So Rudy T just became the scapegoat of last season, and you'll see that the team won't make big, unexpected strides next season, meaning they'll have to make another scapegoat, so the team'll get dismantled. Watch as the house of cards crumbles.

Moonbus, Avery Johnson is considered worth his contract to Mark Cuban right now based mostly on his ability to assist the coaches, and not necessarily on what he does with VERY limited minutes on the basketball coach. Cuban has said he won't allow Avery to talk with other teams about coaching positions while he's still under contract with the Mavs. I don't know why people want Ellie back here, though. Last I checked, he had a chip on his shoulder about being on the trading block.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guess, the way things are going, we'll take whatever coach might be left.

Alvin Gentry, I'll bet.

Actually, I'm starting to get that it's-always-been-Dunleavy-anyway feeling. Otherwise we would have really targeted Brown.

Unless CD and Les are unbelievably incompetent, hence, Alvin Gentry.

15. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

That's the style we need against the Mavs, Kings, Spurs, and Lakers... :rolleyes:

The guy shouldn't even be talked about, let alone considered.

I agree, a staff approach is needed. NOT just one big name. I think Dunleavy and a good staff is a game plan. A big man coach, a tactician coach (maybe a Del Harris type), and a good defensive/smaller man coach (Cleamons).

16. GATER

MoonBus -
    IMHO, every good coach has an ex-player on his staff to sort of "round things out". For example, at Philly, Larry Brown has former Rocket Mike Woodson. I'm making an assumption here that since Woodson went to Indiana and played for Knight, he has some idea how the game is played. Contributions at this level are easily overlooked but an important part of team chemistry.

Regarding Mario, I think it comes down to the toughness you mentioned. Mario is someone who is well travelled but has rings and an attitude you'd want around your team. Plus Mario has the obvious connection to the Rockets. The toughness and attitude is why I put Elie with Dunleavy.

Concerning AJ, in addition to also being mentally tough AJ is one first class human being and would have a strong presence in the community. Plus, AJ was a Point Guard and well versed in offense (why I used him with JVG).

If you watched the playoffs closely, you saw AJ (who did not make the Mavs playoff roster) routinely talking to groups of 2,3, or 4 Mavs during the timeouts. He is going to windup as an assistant somewhere...why not Houston? Heck, he still plays well enough to be on the roster! A player-coach on the IL?

17. GATER

leebigez-
    Just curious...How would you feel about Van Gundy if he were hired and in turn he selected Cleamons as his offensive coordinator and handed over the offensive reigns to him?

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Gater & pasox2, you both mention that Ellie is a good candidate because he is both an ex-player and hard-nose no-nonsense guy... how is that different from Mr. Mean? Almost everyone on this board feels that Larry is not a good coach/assistant coach, what makes you guys feel that Ellie is any better?

I'm not saying that Ellie won't be a good coach or an assistant, but if everyone praise them (including Avery) so highly just because they are ex-players (tough ones at that), then I don't buy it. To me, they are just unproven candidates.

Not every ex-players are good coaches, look what has Drexler and Tragic have done.

19. GATER

Observe that we did NOT have Elie (or AJ) as the #1 assistant...merely on the staff. This is a big difference to Larry Smith who was:

1) the #1 assistant
    2) has no rings
    3) was not a point guard
    4) is almost exclusively known as a rebounder

These are subtle but important differences. Given a MD or JVG are tossed out of a game, we are not having Elie or AJ run the team in our schemes.

20. Sane

Sane Member

You guys are so worried that we'll get the next Rudy T. What you don't realize is that JVG would bring the SAME offense we had before Ming, ISO only.

However, Dunleavy demands defense. Aside from this, we're a pretty good defensive team anyway, especially with Ming and Griffin patrolling the middle, and Posey taking care of the perimeter. Mobley is alsoa very good defender now.

I'm on Dunleavy's side because he would encourage defense, and that would be enough for us to be a good defensive team. The offense is on him, and I am very comfortabel with him desgning our offense, knowing that he's coached Arvydas Sabonis on the Portlan TrailBlazers (Ego land). He's been o nbig teams, and he's coached big names, and as long as he commits to being strict with the players, he's the best choice right now, IMO.