1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming no other roster moves are made, what should the rotation be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 18, 2011.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm generally most comfortable with an 8 man rotation, with one other guy getting about 10 min per game. With the condensed schedule, I think it'll be necessary to have another guy getting in an extra 10 minues. Here's how I could see the minute panning out:

PG - Lowry 30 / Dragic 12
    SG - Martin 30 / Lee 12 / Dragic 6
    SF - Budinger 24 / Lee 12 / T-Will 10
    PF - Scola 28 / Patterson 20
    C - Hill 30 / Thabeet 10 / (Patterson 4?)

Parsons and Morris to the Vipers. With less practice time, they'll learn more there than they will rotting on the bench, and they'll be in better game shape if they have to come up and replace an injured guy.

Totals
    Lowry 30
    Martin 30
    Hill 30
    Scola 28
    Lee 24
    Bud 24
    Patterson 20-24
    Dragic 18

T-Will 10
    Thabeet 10

Pretty much the same as last year, with bumps in Hill and PPat's minutes with the loss of Chuck, and minor reductions for Lowry, Martin and Scola to keep them fresher. Leaves about 12-16 minutes (total) per game for guys like Flynn (who I'm not high on) and whichever journeyman center sticks.

I'm thinking we may want to trade a wing at some point. I'd like to see more from Williams, and Bud is a nice player who's ultimately just a replaceable part. A lottery protected first rounder would be awesome.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need to move Kmart or Lee to free up some time for TWill's development, and you are 8 mins short at the center position, I guess you want Thabeet to get 18 mins?

DD

3. dharocks

I amended that to add that Patterson could get some very limited minutes there. I don't think Thabeet's at a point where he can handle more than 10mpg, and we have a bunch of big bodies in camp, one will probably stick.

Because of blowouts and certain game situations, you're not going to get a tidy 48 min at every position so I figured why bother, leave some open time.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I dont know. Its not like the minutes chart we give are gonna be used. Hill should play the bulk of the center minutes. Twill and Patterson should play larger roles. Thats about all I ask for. Marcus Morris did not look good. I am not sure about him.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I cringe at the thought of Jordan starting at center. Yes, the potential is still there, but good grief.

Thabeet? No. We might as well put Helen Keller in there for court awareness.

As the roster stands, Pat seems like the only feasible choice.

6. dharocks

I've thought about Pat. There have been teams that have gotten by with Kurt Thomas as their center, which I think is a reasonable comparison. I'm pretty high on Jordan though.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Yeah, Pat seems most comfortable at the 4.

I just am not a fan of Jordan because he wastes his talent from one game to the next. He has that "Thabeet Syndrome" where it looks like he just doesn't give a damn on some nights, specifically when guards from other teams out-rebound him without problem.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No, we need to get rid of Bud if we are getting rid of anyone. He has no upside at all. His D will always be atrocious and he will never be able to create his own shot..

9. DaDakota

Except that his D is not atrocious, he held opponents to a 12.7 per against him.

And he does create, but you are right, one of him or Kmart should go, they are too alike in players....

Guys who are primarily created for by others.....but I would keep Bud because he does more than Kmart...he rebounds, he passes well, and is a better defender.

DD

10. xAliceInChains

I think McHale will be there to get on Jordan's ass if he's not playing to his potential. McHale really likes hill lol.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

To start the year:

PG - Lowry / Dragic
    SG - Martin / Lee
    SF - Budinger / Twill / Morris
    PF - Scola / Patterson / Morris
    C - Hill / Patterson / Thabeet

In March:

PG - Lowry / Dragic
    SG - Lee / Dragic
    SF - Morris / Twill
    PF - Patterson / Scola
    C - A. Jefferson / Hill

12. DaDakota

Looks like Morris is going to be your DD moment...lol.

DD

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Scola on the bench? I just can't see that happening. He would get moved with Martin and Bud before being benched.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I like trading Martin to Utah for Jefferson. Would be a good fit and roster balancing for both teams. I just figured that starting Scola and Jefferson together would be a defensive nightmare, so I'd rather pair him with Patterson. I don't think Scola would mind being the 6th man like his buddy Ginobili did for years.

How do you figure?

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

PG - Lowry / Dragic
    SG - Martin / Lee
    SF - Twill / Budinger / Morris
    PF - Scola / Patterson / Morris
    C - Hill / Thabeet / Patterson

16. DaDakota

A young player that you are over valuing....it is my "discount double check" move.

Morris will spend a good amount of time in the D-league, and unless there are some changes in the lineup, might not see much time at all on the NBA floor.

DD

17. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

One good preseason game and you give him 30 minutes? Well, who else? How has Pat done in the center position? Has he been given minutes there last season?

18. DaDakota

No, not really....he is stronger, but too short to play center, and please don't bring up Hayes, he is a unique player that knows how to use leverage better than most everyone.

DD

19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

lol :grin:

20. Htown's2kFinest

I would be perfect imo.

Lowry- 36 /Dragic- 12
    Martin- 31 /Lee- 22
    Twill- 30 /Bud 20 (6th man)
    Scola- 32/Pat 22
    Hill- 26/ Thabeet 10

240 minutes total