1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The whitehouse has put out guidelines to return to work and it is all centered around the phases that dr birx and fauci recommend. You keep hearing them talk about phases.

Then when asked dr birx says she has been clear and the guidelines clear about what the phases are and keeps going back to that since she wont say directly its not meeting the guidelines to return to work. They asked her about hairdressers directly and she dodged the question and kept saying to follow the guidelines..

What is the guideline ? as you are asking and what about 14 days?
    here is the language:

"
    SYMPTOMS
    Downward trajectory of influenza-like illnesses (ILI) reported within a 14-day period

AND

Downward trajectory of covid-like syndromic cases reported within a 14-day period

CASES
    Downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period

OR

Downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests)
    "

No state has met the criteria of 14 days as the article indicates and trump and birx can say " they told you not to" even though they aren't wearing masks themselves and trump egging the protesters on.

Play both sides and can hide behind it...well here it is and this needs to be the talking point:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#criteria

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

My question is how that 14 days is defined. Is it new cases? Total cases? Active cases? For example, if new cases the last 14 days were:

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

Is that a downward trajectory? I think the "no state has met this standard" is either wrong or deceiving. New York, for example, certainly is on a downward trajectory with peak cases on April 15, and the last 2 days having the fewest new cases since March 21st. The last 14 days were also lower than the previous 14 days. It still has a ton of cases and shouldn't open, but I'm not sure how they can say it's not on a downward trajectory for 14 days.

So basically, I'm trying to figure how they are measuring to say no state has achieved this.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Its ok that you dont want to read the link:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#criteria

I should have included the other criteria:
    CASES
    Downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period

OR

Downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests)

HOSPITALS
    Treat all patients without crisis care

AND

Robust testing program in place for at-risk healthcare workers, including emerging antibody testing
    "
    bear in mind these are the criteria to then BEGIN phase 1. There is a phase 2 and phase 3 still. I haven't looked at all the criteria to know what ny is doing certainly clear as mud and it to your point perhaps it doesnt seem like ny has checked all the boxes as I see ny on downward tx still on up. Certainly not 14. Nor was georgia. maybe you can tell us.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The right loves the food lines. Back to the old libertarian "free to work or starve."
    The corporate right’s hoped-for dynamic recently was explained explicitly by Trevor Burrus of the Cato Institute, a conservative D.C. think tank: “The economic and human devastation is difficult to contemplate, and it’s only getting worse. … Many will hit a point where the trade-off will be between possibly getting COVID-19 and being able to feed their families. The disease doesn’t look so bad then.”

The right is ever-more ostentatious wailing and rending of garments about the suffering of the jobless. Jeanine Pirro has already explained on Fox that “for every percentage of increase in unemployment, there is an increase in deaths from suicide, alcoholism, domestic violence, and a loss, and depression.”
    https://theintercept.com/2020/04/29/coronavirus-government-right-bailout/

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder where we will be this time next week

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

A week will likely not be a long enough time. Usually it is 2-3 weeks time and when spreading it for an infestation it is likely 3-4 weeks.

I suspect it will not be that bad at first because a lot of people going out will still be aware of the risks and practice good hygiene and exercise common sense.

The issue is going to be when people let down their guard and begin to take risks that are not calculated. Couple that with summer travel and there could be a situation where the government is slow to respond and the cases jump greatly.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

are bars that serve food aloud to open?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

the WH guidance was already weak because they have a lack of anything close to real time feedback and 2 weeks can only capture about 50% of impact at best, especially in phase 1. Some states aren’t even following those weak guidelines so...

Beside that, this reopening if done slowly and with a message to be very mindful of yourself and others could actually work but instead we see a push, again, that this is like the flu (using other languages and symbols) and just go on your merrily way. It’s will just vanish. Misinformation to the public make this more risky than it needs to be.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    but I like a weekly count.

We doubled in the US over 18 days
    So I wonder what the next 18 days look like

and remember - People are not protesting to go back to work . . .they are protesting to force other people to go back to work and serve them regardless of the threat to the people being forced back to work.

Rocket River

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

actually they must be completely silent to cut down on exhaling droplets.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's binary code for 'no' on a C64.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I believe if you make over 50% of your revenue from alcohol sales, you're a bar and can't open.

body slam likes this.
  14. body slam

body slam Member

thank you

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've gone up the last 3 days. Today we went way up, with 1438 new cases already. We definitely aren't helping matters by reopening so soon.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What makes you think there is going to be summer travel? Summer travel is due to teachers and kids being off. We are heading into month 3 and at least a couple more months after that. All the destination places will be closed or heavily restricted. Nobody is in the mood to travel.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Nah bra, everything is still available except haircuts. People want to go back to work to provide for their family. Food and drink is available. Servers are getting screwed for choosing that profession. If you want enchiladas, go get enchiladas.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Time travel!

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

From what I saw today, there will be a spike in cases. Wait staffs where wearing mask...for the most part. However, the lack of mask from people going into restaurants (even with distancing) and table with like 6 to 7 people to them, shows me some people are not taking this serious.

Deckard and No Worries like this.