1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza said Morey told him before free agency he wouldn't be back with the team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Wiz can still buy him out, seems likely to me.
    So Ariza's got his money and he's keeping mum about the conversations he and Morey have had prior to him leaving?

Plan is still on folks. Ariza isn't talking about their wink/nod deal.

RyanB likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Ariza wasn't worth bringing back for the absurd amount he signed with Phoenix. Especially at age 33, the luxury tax implications, his 0-12 Game 7 performance, and the team's 14-0 record without him last season(I'm not counting that game they gave to the Kings).

Morey's screwup wasn't moving on from Trevor. It was not keeping Luc or finding a suitable replacement for either one. Ennis was a gamble that didn't pay off. Melo was a big mistake(it was a risk worth taking, but it didn't work). And House and Clark are nice players, but you don't wanna be relying on them to take all those minutes Ariza and Luc used to play.

D-rock, bballjunkie, RyanB and 5 others like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I just reported this because there's too much common sense provided in one singular post. This might overwhelm a lot of users around here.

Sajan and count_dough-ku like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

15 million dollars.

That’s what Klay makes.

4 more than Iggy makes.

You took the money my dude. Rockets would be foolish to pay him that in the LTT.

RyanB and T FOR 3!!! like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, but if Morey wanted Trevor to be back he could have said....not going to happen BUT we will give you XYZ for 2 years or 3, or a large balloon contract next year......what Trevor said seems to end the conversation then and there.

And we just WAY OVERPAID a 33 year old PG.....WAY WAY WAY overpaid him, no one else would have come close to offering that.

DD

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

THIS... You can't take the money and run, and THEN blame the team for not bringing you back. You bolted for a payday dude, good for you, but you have to own that...

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's the old way to look at it.

The new way to look at it must acknowledge The TRADE.

Ariza was surprisingly easy to trade for actual, real NBA players (Oubre and other rumored offers like KCP, etc). That makes signing Ariza a No Lose Scenario Asset. Either he performs or someone wants him ... even at $15m.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Did you just complain and stress concern over a lack of communication on a topic where Morey showed exceptional communication by being upfront and letting Ariza know before free agency he wouldn't be returning?

The Suns offered him 15 MILLION and he took it day 1.. If he didn't take it day 1 and rather waited to see what the Rockets offered than the Suns may have revoked their offer so that 15 mil of their funds weren't tied up. That happens all the time.

I don't understand your logic at all.. because Morey didn't give him a 'reason'? is that what you are all whiny about?? Is that was concerns you??? Even though Ariza himself literally said 'He does't need a reason' o_O

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Look..... the market says you deserve 15 million
    we don't have that
    so....go get paid brother "

Rocket River

DaDakota and harold bingo like this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But you're omitting the luxury tax expense of resigning Ariza. Even if you trade him, don't you have to take back matching salaries which still leaves you paying an exorbitant amount? If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I was under the impression that resigning him at 15 mil would actually cost Tilman far more than that and he and Morey concluded that he simply wasn't worth THAT much to the organization.

And like I said, I don't disagree with that premise. The role Ariza played was important. But Ariza himself was not irreplaceable. Plenty of guys in the league can do what he does. The problem is Morey didn't get any of them this past offseason. Ennis was always at best a Luc replacement, not an Ariza one. But we still have Knight's salary for a trade and buyout candidates(including ironically Ariza himself). The question is can the team as currently constructed stay within striking distance of a Top 4 seed until Morey gets something done?

D-rock likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LMAO, "ClutchFans Game Thread: Arizas @ Rockets" That thread list is hilarious!

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So the issue I could see is this, and call me out if I'm wrong, it's easier to dismiss a poor performance of Ariza on a new team that hasn't had a winning culture in some time. What's harder to do, is to trade Ariza if the rockets befell the same situation they have this season. Look, the rockets slump probably increased Ariza's value on the pure basis that he and Luc were lauded as the pillars of our defense. If the rockets slump and they want return on Ariza I don't see it happening as easily without throwing a star under the bus (which they won't do). But hey, just my perspective on this one.

heypartner likes this.
  13. heypartner

Tax for one year is irrelevant. That's why Morey and Paul tried to get him back on the phone. Surely Morey's comment to Ariza was about his multiple year leak: "[Morey] doesn't think it's gonna happen."

Paul Discount: Paul is on record saying he'd consider giving a discount to RunItBack, so getting Paul to spread a discount of $5-7m over the length of his contract is peanuts to Paul, and is probably all we needed to offset what we were willing to pay, vs what Ariza got.​

No long term, excessive LT implications: Morey didn't know the 1yr offer. And now we find all the offers the Suns were getting were for expiring contracts, with real youth, rookie scale contracts worth owning for both productivity, trading again or possible re-signing. So even if Paul doesn't offset the LT with a discount like he leaked, then I think LT is irrelevant.​

14. bmelo

bmelo Member

You can say that about any coach. But pringels created 2 hof guards - turned Nash from good guard to mvp & provided Harden a platform to fully showcase his talent. Even Lin looked like beast under MDA

D-rock and Sajan like this.
  15. blackistan

blackistan Member

CP should've taken a paycut to allow Ariza to stay...unfortunately we're stuck with his contract now

16. heypartner

Yep. I agree. First time I mentioned in another thread the idea that the Trade proved Ariza to be a tangible Asset, I also added a similar disclaimer as you did.

That said, EGo has sucked too, and no one is talking about him having reduced value.

In the end, Oubre was actually WSH doing a salary dump for the summer, and Ariza, being a player proven to get along with stars and do the dirty work, is a No-Trouble addition to Beal and Wall and Porter to maybe get them to stop whining about leaving. And then GM Lebron wanted him on that expiring contract, too. Probably other teams, as well. He proved to have value, of which I don't think a slow start by Rockets would have tarnished.

#116 heypartner, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    D-rock and craguin like this.
  17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

God I don't know what to believe about EG. I've lost all objectivity on him, and I flip flop constantly on his value. You have a point, but my head isn't right with him at all. There are times where I say that EG + Knight + picks and filler should have gotten us Jimmy B, then there are times where I start to feel like is this ryno 2.0? I'm not competent wrt him.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah he should be playing for free :rolleyes:

bmelo and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

So he's trying to say that Morey is the one to blame here? Ariza knew Houston could not affordm that much money and still didn't care, chose not to compete but getting the money. Besides he's playing like crap this season, with crappy %s and crappy defense (don't stop at the steals, his overall defensive effort and intensity is poor and has little impact). He's just not improving very much his teams. I miss much more LMAM's defense. But let's move on, there are more defensive forwards available out there.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This

verysimplejason likes this.