1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there any people here who don't believe in evolution?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roslolian, Feb 2, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

To be quite honest this really is something I can't believe. Although I was born and raised as a Catholic and studied in a Jesuit-run college, Evolution was something I thought that everyone already agreed on: it ties with almost every major science known to man, explains a host of natural phenomena and is even seen in our everyday life (Americans and Europeans are hairier by nature to better deal with the cold while people in Africa have a high concentration of melatonin to deal with the scorching heat). We even have fossils and other evidence obtained that can show the evolution is indeed real.

Imagine my surprise when I came across creationism in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncRhS3NBfk

Apparently some people really do indeed deny evolution, and even made a move to have creationism taught alongside it. I guess you can see from the link and my background that I'm pretty biased on evolution, but I want to know what the creationists really think about all this.

How can you even mix the concept of a God with science? I mean, the existence of a "perfect" being of unimaginable power who can break all the known laws physics at a whim isn't even something that Science can believe in, let alone comphrehend.

And what about the Bible? You really think everything in it is meant to be taken literally? Like the world really was created in 7 days, a great flood came and killed everything, and some dude was able to build an ark so big he could store 2 species of every single animal in existence on board? Even if you take it at face value, just counting the dogs and cats species there are already a gazillion different breeds, you think a single family can build an ark big enough to contain all the species including gazelles, zebras, lizards, snakes, bears etc? What about animals that can only live in special environments like Polar bears and penguins? How did they survive in the ark and in roughly the same temp. as the lions and other animals who live in the savannah? Forget that, how did they travel from Antartica all the way to Israel in the first place?

Really interested to know how these guys can resolve the cognitive dissonance between what they know and understand to be true and what they believe in.

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

Reduced surface area in Inuit people stands out to me, in addition to capillaries that stay open to prevent frostbite / not send frosty blood to the heart from cold extremities and fingers that work.

I agree with you but don't understand the point in arguing a topic so lopsided with regard to fact.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The Jesuits of course would have you embrace this theory. They are the "god gave you a brain -- use it" branch of the Church, hence the occasional excommunication of the entire said branch.

But yes, there are people here who feel differently, and I think, if you had search capabilities, you could have saved yourself this thread creation, but let's step back and see how it goes...

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

True middle-of-the-roader here. I'm not a Biblical fundamentalist but I likewise eschew the godless proclamations of the evolutionists. Surely some of the evolutionary principles are are inarguable, i.e. survival of the fittest, but the theory from a layman's easy chair seems full of holes.

The classic question: if man evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

How does evolutionary theory impact on genes? If you can't change the genes, how can you change the creature?

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Personally I dont have a problem believing in both....I believe the bible word for word and I dont have a problem with evolution. However the man came from monkeys argument....not so much. But we hear about new drug resistant strains of diseases all the time, isnt that some form of evolution. I believe that God gave life the ability to adapt.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Welcome to the United States of America, where (last I checked) something like 50% of the population doesn't believe in evolution.

That's only a classic question because the morons who ask it don't pay attention to the answer. We didn't evolve from apes (or monkeys). We share a common ancestor with apes (and monkeys, although we split from them much further back in time).

1 person likes this.
  7. giddyup

You've gotten your side off to a great start by acting like an ass right out of the box. Do you write for Penn Jilette... or Teller?

Of course you do realize that the idiocy of your speculation. How is one supposed to know the answer to a question when one is asking the question?

Let's try again: explain how evolution takes but a few pathways rather than thousands of millions of pathways.... and what about the genes? What evolutionary "force" would change the gene composition of any particular animal make a "new" animal?

Now we can make this an ugly, impertinent discussion or you can get off your high horse and simply supply answers to the questions posed. Try to be nicer than Penn Jilette, please....

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Your post if rife with contradiction. :confused:

Everyone here knows this to be utter garbage.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not expert on this, so maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. But when you are referring to "pathways", you just mean macroevolution?

Why should we expect a particular species to splinter into thousands/millions of different ones in a few hundred million years? Its not such a common process.

10. giddyup

Hot under the collar already? ;)

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

We need some new topics in the D&D.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Depends

If
    Evolution = Random Luck
    no . . . i do not beleive that that we are the result of random luck

Rocket River

13. giddyup

How do Eskimos and Australian Aboriginees have the same genes... if they were "created" by randomly different evolutionary forces perhaps at different windows of time? At their genetic core, aren't they the same althoughly wildly different physiologically?

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

No, just tired of folks still giving you the benefit of the doubt.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is that what happened? Eskimos and Aboriginees are the same species, which means they have a common ancestor.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Then good, that makes you an evolutionist, because evolution/natural selection is the exact opposite of random luck.

17. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I think you’re going to have to define what part of the theory of evolution you’re talking about, and what you mean by “believe”. There are parts of the theory of evolution that are well tested and proven to a high degree of certainty, and there are other parts that are untested theory, and pretty lose theory at that. Also, the term believe is going to get you into trouble on this subject. If you’re approaching this from a scientific perspective then you may want to talk about degree of certainty and the amount of evidence there is to support different aspects of the theory.

On Creationism, there are different kinds of creationism that fit the evidence to greater or lesser degrees. Also note that if we’re taking a scientific approach to this question then we can’t just talk about two groups of theories. It can’t be just a question of a choice between the two, in other words. Any plausible theory that fits the evidence must be considered.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Stop stepping in dog sh**

19. giddyup

Which can be explained by creation. If not creation, how then did they roam so far? Timelines are going to be important here.

Question: would the Creation Theory strain credulity so if it weren't married to such a short history? In the video, the one guy cites 6,000 years.

#19 giddyup, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  20. giddyup

You do know that on Happy Days Donny Most was the ultimate goofball? Oh yeah, he was just acting!

You better find another thread to pee on because I'm home with the kids on a snow day and have (evolutionary) time on my hands...