1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone going to watch the Cricket World Cup?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by R0ckets03, Feb 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://news.sify.com/cgi-bin/sifyne...le_oid=12624618&category_oid=-20611&page_no=1

It's no coke, says ejected cricket fan

Johannesburg, Feb 17

A South African businessman has accused World Cup organisers of assault after claiming he was thrown out of Saturday's match between Australia and India at Centurion - for drinking a can of Coca-Cola.

Arthur Williamson claimed on Monday that his removal from the ground by security officials was a sign of the lengths that the tournament will go to prevent 'ambush marketing.'

"It is unacceptable that law-abiding citizens be brow-beaten, publicly humiliated, assaulted and summarily ejected for doing nothing worse than quietly drinking a beverage that is not approved of by the official sponsors," Williamson told the SAPA news agency.

The World Cup organising committee, in an effort to protect the interests of official sponsors that include Pepsi, has placed arch-rivals Coca Cola on the list of items that are banned at all World Cup matches. Branded clothing, hats and bags are also banned.

Williamson, who attended the match with his wife and 13-year-old son, said that he was "totally flabbergasted" when he was approached by security staff who insisted that they hand over the offending drinks - including those in his cooler bag.

"Within minutes of opening our cans we were accosted by security officials and told to stop drinking. They also demanded that we surrender any remaining unopened Cokes in our possession," said Williamson.

"We suggested that we be allowed to finish our drinks and volunteered not to take out the remaining cans. We even suggested that our unopened Cokes be replaced by Pepsis, but this offer was ignored.

"Security personnel repeatedly demanded that we surrender our unopened cans or face eviction from the stadium." Williamson said that he refused to hand over the three unopened cans.

Rodney Hartman, the World Cup head of communications, said that the organisers had gone to great lengths to explain to the public the measures taken to protect the interests of official sponsors.

"We've done our level best to inform the public about this because we don't want anybody to be involved with issue with security personnel," he said.

Organisers are careful about ambush marketing after the International Cricket Council(ICC) signed a seven-year deal worth 550 million dollars with official sponsors.

The ICC last week warned Indian cricketers to ensure their personal sponsors, who conflicted with the official ones, stop advertisements in the Indian media.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

just when South Africa looks like they will be knocked out the West Indies get a wash out against Bangladash and share the pts.......DAMN!!!!:mad:

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Please India beat Zimbabwe. :(

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's all right Smeg - there's still the final hope of Sri Lanka knocking them over - or that maybe rain washes one of their next 2 games (Bangladesh and Canada) out!

5. R0ckets03

woo hoo!

Some good matches today. India bounced back nicely and Namibia scared the hell out of England for a while.

Now I don't have to kill myself after the Rockets loss.

6. R0ckets03

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

This just in.....Shane Warne has been banned from playing cricket (all levels- state, ODI, etc...) for 12 months. He's set to appeal the decision.

8. R0ckets03

wooo hoo!!! England beat the hell out of Pakistan. Cant believe it.

Watching Aktar at the end was rather exciting though. 43 off of 16 balls! :eek:

9. steave_flight_3

are the pakistanis out of the thing now

10. R0ckets03

They have to beat Holl, India and Zimbabwe. But they might not make it even if they do that. India had no trouble with Namibia today and looks like they are starting to come around. I'm thinking, Australia, England and India in the Super Six.

11. steave_flight_3

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

12. R0ckets03

Pakistan Murdabad.

13. SmeggySmeg

see the century for the Canadian/Australian guy, off 60 balls i think. (he is born in canada and has lived in australia most of his life)

14. R0ckets03

Yeah I watched some of it. One of the most amazing things I have seen in sports. The guy was in an want unbelievable zone! :eek:

Even one of the announcers said "I am in absolute shock". Because this is the same team that got all out in like 36 against Sri Lanka.

15. AB

AB Contributing Member

Kenya won by 53 runs over Srilanka.

16. SmeggySmeg

Aussies keep rolling

17. AB

AB Contributing Member

18. R0ckets03

Woohoo! All is for nothing if India doesn't win on Saturday though.

Till then no trash talking for me.

19. R0ckets03

Man I don't think I have been this happy watching a sporting even since a certain little time in 1995.

I had about 20 people at my house. Every single one of them a Pakistani who let me have it throughout Paki batting. I also thought India was done.

But then Tendulkar and Sehwag happen. I don't think I have ever seen momentum swing this fast in any kind of game before.

Major major props to Dravid and Yuvraj!

GO INDIA! :)

20. SmeggySmeg

BYE BYE South Africa

apparently in the changeroom they miscalculated the total they needed when the rain came and boucher blocked what was the last ball and if had got a single they were in the finals, instead it was a tie and they miss out

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tools!!!