1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Another Suns swap that's SUPPOSED (effects the Rockets) to be official later today...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NYKRule, Jun 29, 2001.

1. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Clifford Robinson

for

John Wallace and Jud Buechler

First Kidd, now Clifford. The Suns MUST have something up their sleeves for the 2002 draft that's for sure. Rockets in the playoffs, Suns out.

From a Pistons stand point, they get Clifford Robinson who is very similar to Rodney White. Great mentor.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Where'd you hear this? I can't believe the Suns would be this stupid. What a horrible deal.

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You got that right! If that deal goes through you can just pencil in an extra playoff berth available.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

4. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

That can't be true. What an idiotic trade by the Suns though if it is true. Did Butcher and Wallace even play with Detroit?

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I heard it on the radio, that's why I said it is supposed to happen (might not). I do hope it goes through though. Personally, I think it will because the Kidd trade happened, so Colangelo HAS to have something up his sleeve for the 2002 draft.

------------------

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Two words. Cap Space. 2002 will have a ton of players. Vince Carter, Jammison, Paul Pierce as well as many others.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

INTERESTING!! Will they be able to pull one. . . I'd bet Jamison is the best bet.
    Then Pierce.

ROCKET RIVER

------------------

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Both Kidd and Cliff had "off-court" problems last season. Colangelo is trying to clean it up, thats all.

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's the link.

http://www.arizonarepublic.com/sports/articles/0629suns29-ON.html

Suns' Robinson headed to Pistons

Associated Press
    June 29, 2001 11:49:00

The Phoenix Suns agreed to a deal to send forward Clifford Robinson to the Detroit Pistons for former UA standout Jud Buechler and John Wallace, both forwards.

The Suns' announcement of the deal today came the day after the team said it was trading point guard Jason Kidd to the New Jersey Nets for Stephon Marbury.

"This (the Robinson trade) is a step in a different direction," said Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' president and general manager. "We feel this makes us younger, improves our outside shooting and, gives us considerable flexibility with regards to the salary cap in future years, and more importantly, helps the Suns avoid the tax threshold for the upcoming season."

The teams agreed to the trade in principle, but the deal cannot be consummated until July 18 due to salary cap restrictions.

"We are excited to bring Cliff Robinson to the Pistons," team president Joe Dumars said in a statement. "He's a talented veteran player that brings playoff experience and toughness to our roster.

Robinson averaged 16.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists last year.

He also contributed to the Suns' public relations woes this year when he was arrested on a DUI charge in suburban Scottsdale.

Kidd and guard Penny Hardaway were also arrested in recent months in separate incidents.

Buechler, an 11-year-veteran, averaged 3.9 points while shooting 41.6 percent from 3-point range last season.

Wallace averaged 5.9 points and 2.1 rebounds last year.

------------------

10. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I've seen some dumb trades before, but DAMN!!

------------------
    Houston Rockets...Unbeatable
    Akeem Olajuwon

11. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

It cleans up their image and clears cap space, but it will also make them fall out of the playoffs next year.

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

It does make sense, though this will hurt their team.

Colangelo apparently envisions a starting 5 of Marbury, Hardaway, Marion, Googs, and Big Jake which aint too shabby.

Still, I think they could have gotten more for Cliff Robinson, and I think Colangelo favors Googs, whose minutes were on the decline because of Robinson.

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Thanks for the confirmation hottoddie.

------------------

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Two days ago, I'd have said the Suns would never be so stupid. Then, they traded Kidd for Marbury and changed my opinion of them forever. Why are so many teams taking a dive before the season even starts? Suns, Bulls, Grizzlies.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

They are trying to get their head on strait by getting Penny and Starbury the last couple of years. That is pretty funny.

If it wasn't for the Gizzards, the Suns will be battling for the cellar in the West next year. There defense will be woeful and the offense will be Marbury. But they are a sound organization overall and don't do things for stupidities sake, even if on the surface their moves looks like that. They have a plan to turn it around fast. They will get a solid lottery pick next year and move to get under the cap as well, they obviously saw they need to reconstruct the team and Marion and Marbury with a couple of talents down the line isn't a bad way to do it. Kidd would be going down hill by the time the new guys would be ready. I can see thier thinking now.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited June 29, 2001).]

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Juan, the Suns got rid of a wife beater and got a pg four years younger with the Marbury/Kidd swap.

They did this when many teams are resigned to being unable to compete with the Lakers for the next few years. I'm not sure that that wasn't a brilliant move by the Suns.

As far as the Clifford trade? Ahhh... I haven't the slightest. [​IMG]

17. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I gotta agree with "Chebe" the suns got younger and in my opinion, much better with Marbury. Cliff Robinson had more trade value than they got in my opinion but the cap space to them was obviously more valuable(and I agree with them). In my opinion Penny and Googs are the guys the Suns wanted to move first, but they probably were unsucsessfull. I will not be surprised to see Googs, Rogers, and/or Penny gone by the end of this year.

The Suns as they were in the post-Broccli era were never more than a first round exit waiting to happen. Add to that the fact that they were getting really old and... well you saw what happened.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Kidd has been considered the best point guard over the last few years but more importantly he had great chemistry with the suns.

There is no doubt Marbury is a tallent but we all know he can't carry a team by his self and if the chemistry is not right then the Suns could find themselvs lottery bound next year. Marbury has yet to find any sort of chemistry with any team he has been on.

Will Marbury, Marion and Googs be enough to cary the suns next year? I think not.

------------------

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Agreed, the Suns have a plan, and they are trading good players who don't have enough around them to make a serious run for a proven young phenom and future cap space + picks. Now contrast this with the Gizzards front office, who trading away their two best players, who also happen to be their youngest starters, well you get the picture.

Hey, at least the Rockets have 2 easy outs now out in the West for the immediate future, and 1 for as long as I can see (The Giz).

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wallace is decent and young, I can see the project there. They also have Dan Majerle standing by until Jul 18.