1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Cool read. Hopefully he can stay healthy (knock on wood).

3. Classic

Classic Member

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Great read, but now I'm back to wondering what kind of numbers Andre would have put up with a Montana/Young instead of Carr/Schaub :eek:.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His career 16-game average is 95/1,305 - I don't know where that would rank all-time, but I can't imagine there are a ton of wide receivers with better 16-game averages. Obviously, a better QB would have likely increased his numbers - but I think it's overblown. Other than TDs, he's playing at exceptionally high level.

As for his HoF chances... the backlog was somewhat broken this year with Cris Carter finally getting in. But there are still a few WRs who deserve serious consideration, an upcoming group who have much better credentials than Johnson (namely TO and Moss), a lot of worthy peers (Reggie Wayne, Fitz) and there's a decent chance, as this era progresses, that guys like Megatron, AJ, Julio could potentially dull AJ's accomplishments as they put up previously unheard of numbers.

I still think he faces an uphill battle.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Without a superbowl win (hope he gets it this year!) or several more seasons of excellence, it will be hard. I disagree with anyone who says he could retire today and make the HOF. He just doesn't have the longevity numbers and the lack of touchdowns will really hurt him.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep.

Tim Brown, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and Andre Reed are all currently eligible and have cases as strong as AJ's. Harrison, Moss, Owens and Ward will all soon be eligible and worthy of consideration. That's seven right there ahead of him on the list (in terms of timing). I haven't looked at their numbers but I assume Boldin, Fitzgerald, Wayne and Welker are all comparable peers. I would argue Steve Smith is in the mix. Chad Johnson, too. And then we have a gaggle of younger guys who are all on a collision course: Megatron, AJ, Julio, Roddy...

The PFHoF has elected seven WRs since 2000 - and other than Rice and Irvin, they all took a minimum of 10 years to get in (Lofton, 10; Carter, 11; Monk, 13; Stallworth, 15; Swann, 19). (And at least three of those guys - Monk, Stallworth and Swann - weren't very worthy, and frankly, I'd argue Irvin was borderline).

It has nothing to do with his worthiness (which I think could go either way) - it's about him fighting through a *very* crowded field. Without a ring and with a glaring lack of TDs... I think he faces a tough climb.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All that and no mention of dez Bryant?? We need more cowboy fans around here.

9. 713

713 Member

Dez Bryant and Andre Johnson will have the same career. No superbowl win.

10. conquistador#11

(when aj goes for 11 catches and 200 yards)
    spread the ball!!!

(when we're spreading the ball)
    AJ over the hill!!

Andre is a beastly holy phenom, no doubt about it.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If only he had more touchdowns......

The lack of looks he gets in the red zone is maddening.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think it's a little early for HOF talk.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks, Miss Cleo.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Elephant-in-room no gaudy TD totals = too early to tell. Need 2 more seasons, 1 like last season) Otherwise he'd be in today.

I've loved (Hines) Ward since his Georgia days. No way he's ahead of Andre, even with the lazy fat writer East coast bias and rings.

(But as I type this, yeah I can SEE it... just he's, like "truly", NOT. But meh...can't wish away the writers.)

All the others, yes definitely ahead and making it a crowded HOF-candidate field

Though really I'd have no problem if Hopkins or another weapon absorbs some of the targets and numbers. That'd be a good thing for the team.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

All I know is there aren't many WRs that have 3 years of 1500 + yards..that speaks of domination.

Jerry Rice has 4 years of 1500+ and missed 1 season by 1 freaking yard for 5years to lead everyone...

After that you have Marvin Harrison and Andre Johnson with 3 years of 1500+ and I can't find anyone who has matched that...some came close but none I can find unless I made a mistake that also has hit 3 or more...

That alone puts him in a special class that warrants inclusion among the greats..

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think it would have sealed the deal if he hit the 100 reception 1500 yard mark three seasons in a row if not for his injury in 2010. I can't remember if it would have been unprecedented or just elite company of 2-3. Bouncing back and hitting it again this year is remarkable of course.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I still think they should have traded him.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

3 edgy 5 me

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

The guy is a beast. There aren't many WRs in the history of the NFL that can dominate a defender like he can. Other than Calvin, I haven't seen another WR in years that can make a defender his b!tch like AJ. Great player, glad he's a Texan for life.

20. Raven

Raven Member

He's the face of the franchise. He'll get in.

And then there's this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gQO7NV-ZGS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andre's a lock!

;)