1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Drummond looks good

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Oct 11, 2012.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yes, but no one seriously tries to leave after rookie contract. If you are a star and can get big money, you aren't going to take a smaller 1 year qualifying offer and risk an injury.

So Drummond's going to be there at least 8-9 years, as long as he's good. And Monroe is going to get offered the 5 year designated extension in two years, so he's there at least for 7 years too.

Monroe/Drummond frontcourt will be around for a while.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Still not excited about Drummond. I suspect he's got Stromileitis. And I suspect we'll see it once the regular season starts. He's got enough size and athleticism to knock around the league for 10 years or more. But I just don't think he's going to be able to put it together mentally to be a premier big.

3. trowa

trowa Member

like i said on the other thread, i am very high on andre. u just cant teach good physical genes.

4. 713

713 Member

Drummond > Cody Zeller

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Oh come on man, give the guy a chance. You don't have to anoint him the next Hakeem or anything, but, Stromile? That's harsh man.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am giving him a chance. I'm just expressing my opinion as of right now. I'll have to be convinced that he is something different...but I am open to being convinced. However, a couple meaningless preseason games....won't do it.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought 12 +Lowry was offered too

I thin lowry and #18 is way too little for a #8 pick

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

As much as the media outside of Houston loves to bag on Daryl Morey for trying to assemble a trade package to trade for Dwight, what Toronto did in their pursuit of Steve Nash was far less defensible.

Bryan Colangelo had convinced himself that they were getting Steve Nash in free agency. It wasn't so difficult; he'd already done it once before, and now he had the home court advantage. Besides, closing big deals was in his blood. After all, he had built the 7 seconds or less Suns, right? He had won the executive of the year award twice; the same number that Pat Riley, Mitch Kupchak, Donnie Nelson, RC Buford, Sam Presti and Red Auerbach had combined. That meant something, right?

He looked at the rest of his roster and realized that there was no one else to knock down all the 3-pointers Nash would be creating, and resolved to get a solid shooter, a guy who could play immediately alongside Nash. Colangelo is immediately on Barnes and Waiters, but they get snapped up before his pick.

Now he's in a tough spot. They're out on Jeremy Lamb, since he sprained his ankle at their private workout and couldn't finish, showing he's not tough enough to play in the league. They believe that Austin Rivers can't guard 2-guards, especially next to Nash. He's not going to draft Drummond or Myers Leonard, since he's got another developmental center in Big Jonas, and with Nash being 38, they don't have time to let them develop. So that leaves Terrence Ross as his clear cut choice.

Now there's a phone call from Daryl, who's offering disgruntled PG Kyle Lowry and the #18 selection for the #8. While logical and tempting, Bryan simply couldnt' follow through. Picking up Lowry would block the PG position, ensuring Nash would not sign. Furthermore, Bryan had real concerns about someone taking Ross. Phoenix at #13 was a legitimate threat, as was Daryl simply picking him up at #16. While Mr. Morey assured him that "we think he's the clear cut #2 Terrence in the draft", Morey was fat, and Bryan knew that fat people weren't to be trusted. Just look at that weasley guy played by Jonah Hill in Moneyball. Speaking of Moneyball, what if Morey was trying to play him like Billy Beane? Would he be humiliated in a $100M movie? With a shout of "You're not gonna Rincon me!" he slammed down the phone while turning in his pick.

Bryan was feeling good. He had just come away from a meeting with Steve Nash's representatives, where he had spread $36M in Canadian dollars on the table. He had secretly gotten the government to print $13 bills with Nash's face on every one. He had paraded the best athletic trainers that socialized medicine could produce in front of him. He had changed all the lightbulbs in the building, making sure it wouldn't become dark and accidentally scare the native Canadian in Steve. The mood wouldn't last. As he watched TSN, in minute :55 of the hour long SportsCentre, in between updates on how the Maple Leafs planned to lower the ice temperature by 0.5C during their scrimmages in the upcoming year, the anchor mentioned that the New York Knicks were aboot to sign and trade for Steve Nash, using Landry Fields.

Colangelo had a plan; there was no way the Knicks could sign and trade Landry Fields if they didn't have Landry Fields! After a few wasted days where he finally had to admit that sending a killer robot who looked like the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario back in time to dispose of Fields' mother, he agreed to a massive offer sheet with Fields. Sure it was overpaying him by about 100% of what he was worth, but it would all be worth it in the end when Nash led the Raptors back to the playoffs.

24 hours later, Nash signed with the Lakers, and Bryan numbly called up Daryl...

"So about Kyle Lowry..."

You can't plan for stupidity, you can only hope to captalize on it.

15 people like this.
  9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

idk.
    if Lowry is worth a future lotto pick...
    Giving a future lotto pick just to move up from #12 to #8 would be very pricey.

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

@HI Mana, that was one of the greatest posts I've ever read on any forum. Rep coming your way.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No kidding, that was a good read.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No, Toronto wanted to compete ASAP, the 2012 was off the table.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Drummond might become good, but his career is gonna be wasted on that team with their incompetent management.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Agreed.

We really needed those wins last year. Really upped the respect for the Rockets and now superstars will be running to play here.

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

It makes me hate the Toronto Raptors even more now. I put them 2nd on my most hated team...behind Utah Jazz, for shafting us in this draft & the Lowry trade.

I still believe that we should've received Jonas Valanciunas as well as that pick in the Lowry trade.

:mad:

16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I assume you're not talking about his face.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That management has won a ship, and has managed to assemble a pretty talented roster. I think Detroit is looking on the way up. They did screw up for a while, but I think with the Monroe and Drummond things are looking up.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would love to have got him, especially combined with Lamb, but it didn't happen. Too early to get overly butthurt over it since it is only a couple of preseason games.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dumars is a good old fashion GM. But he is behind the time in talent evaluation.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

"For a while" Darko Miličić was drafted in 2003. He has been an albatross around the neck of Dumars ever since.

The bad picks and worse contracts have just smothered any of the gems in DET.