1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare Stoudamire's mother sentenced to prison.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TECH, May 27, 2006.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5642538

Associated Press
    Posted: 20 hours ago

PHOENIX (AP) - The mother of Phoenix Suns star Amare Stoudemire was sentenced Friday to three years in prison in a drunken driving case.

Carrie Mae Stoudemire, who appeared in court wearing a black-and-white prison uniform and donning blond dreadlocks, was arrested in October after crashing into a barricade on Interstate 10.
    Amare Stoudemire, a power forward with the Suns, has been out for all but three games this season because of a knee injury. He was not in court Friday.

Carrie Mae Stoudemire was charged with two counts of aggravated DUI. At the time, the 50-year-old woman was on probation for two previous counts of aggravated DUI from a 2003 case in Phoenix.

She entered a guilty plea this month to one count of felony DUI, and the second charge was dropped under terms of a plea deal.

In addition to the prison time, commissioner Aimee Anderson ordered Stoudemire to pay about $2,500 in fines. Stoudemire will get 162 days credit for time already spent in custody.

Carrie Stoudemire tried to address Anderson, but became too emotional.

"Thank you for everything that you done," she said. "I'm sorry things didn't ..."

Anderson finished her sentence, "turn out the way you wanted?"

"I think you've learned a lot," Anderson told Stoudemire. "I think you've grown a lot. You've had some ups and you've had some downs."

Anderson asked Stoudemire if she's going to drink again and if drinking is worth it. To both, Stoudemire said, "No, ma'am."

Stoudemire will be up for early release after she serves 85 percent of her sentence and follows the rules, Anderson said.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The sad thing is this wouldn't be news if she wasn't his mother. Sad to see the media invade on every inch of someone's personal life.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Maybe she should have thought of that.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they are rich enough to have a hired driver. come on amare!

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i didn't know she was famous.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Its a good thing that its made known to the public. It brings more awareness to the problem in general.

7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Don't be naive.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Then make public every person who goes to jail for a DWI and embarass them all. Being a great basketball player shouldn't automatically grant access into your personal life.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does his mom dress him?
    he needs a fashion consultant.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Amare has tried to help her out but she's almost past the point of help. In his first couple of years in the NBA, she was a major thorn in the Suns' side. She tried to dominate Amare's dealings with the team and eventually Amare had the guts to (sorta) move her out of the way.

If you think LeBron's mother was bad, this lady is much worse. At least LeBron's mother calmed down some once he was drafted. She was a major jerk when he was in high school but that seems to be over. Amare's mother never knew when to stop and is totally out of control. I won't bother finding and posting them but I've read a couple of lengthy articles on his background (at least one of them was from the Arizona Republic) and it's amazing what the guy has overcome. Growing up in the "means streets" somewhere is bad enough but for him to be so level-headed in spite of his mother is almost a miracle. This is why Amare is one of my favorite NBA players.

To your point (which I know you make somewhat in jest): She's the type of lady who would flat out refuse the offer. I no longer follow him closely but it wouldn't surpise me if Amare and his mother have a very distant relationship now. Maybe a Suns fan member of Clutchfans can enlighten us.

11. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Who cares about her private life? She should be put away for a lot longer than what she was sentenced to, this being a repeat offense. Society takes it too easy on drunk drivers. Think of the private life or lack thereof of an innocent person had she hit and killed someone.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Sounds like my parents. Im suprised no one in my family has went insane yet.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Having been a registered Fashion Consultant for the American Retailers Association some years ago I sort of like Amare's sporty and dressy outfits. It sort of sets him aside from all the trashy dressers.

14. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

you just broke my sarcasm meter :D

15. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

There was a great article in the <a href="http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40B1EF93E5C0C718EDDAF0894DB404482">New York Times Magazine</a>, back in 2003, about Stoudemire's leap from high school to the NBA. Four bucks if you want to read it online; it also seems to be included in <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618251391/102-1702720-1993743?v=glance&n=283155">The Best American Sports Writing 2004</a>, if you happen to come across it at Half-Price Books.

The article was sympathetic to Amare, but mama sure seemed like a train wreck even then. She's been to jail a couple of times already for theft and forgery if I remember correctly. As I haven't walked the road she's walked, I wouldn't presume to judge her. But her travails are newsworthy in the sense of whether they will affect Amare, though the older he gets and the more success he has, that relevance no doubt will recede (or at least should).

16. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I'm number 1!

17. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I see crime stories in the local paper all the time. Unfortunate as it may be, fact is that people pay more attention when it is a name they recognize. If you are going to make millions of dollars essentially from the attention of the public, you are going to have many more facets of your personal life (including your family) in the limelight.

I think most people accept the tradeoff.

19. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

it's not like this is an isolated incident. she's had not one but TWO prior convictions of DUI. maybe she should have thought about calling for a cab instead of getting behind the wheel drunk AGAIN. i don't feel bad for "celebrities" that continue to make the same mistake OVER and OVER again. they already know that there is a microscope on them, so why in the hell are you going out and driving drunk?

she could have killed someone, not just this last time but all the other times she has been under the influence behind the wheel and not been caught. i don't feel bad for her at all. in fact, she's lucky she only got 3 years. hopefully, she wakes the hell up in prison.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

mirror: http://www.afrocentriconline.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18528&sid=c6785d5cee91c7a2934ace4fe1842c2c