1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All signs point to Erick Dampier joining the Heat.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ryano2009, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

There's a good chance that sometime today the Heat will announce the signing of center Erick Dampier. He was in Miami yesterday and worked out with the Heat, which apparently went well (though I cant really see how it could've gone poorly). After that he had a meet-n-greet with the team and staff, and now he appears poised to sign with the Heat.

Dampier would become the fifth center under contract for the Heat, which begs the question ‘how are they going to handle the rotation?' Joel Anthony has been considered the starter up until this point, but that could be about to change. Dampier has been a starter for most of his career and may not be ready to relinquish that role.

His choices seem to be between Miami and Houston, and while the Rockets can offer him more money ($4 million over 2 years, compared to the $2.8 that the Heat can offer), they can't offer him a starting position. If he signs in Houston it would be lend support to Yao Ming, who is expected to play in the upcoming season but you never know how long he'll last. Still, is that a gamble that Dampier would be willing to take? Is it worth the extra $1.2 million over two years?

Link
    http://www.peninsulaismightier.com/2010/9/23/1705569/all-signs-point-to-erick-dampier

I guess everybody wanna ride on their bandwagon.

Please lock if already posted.

2. MingMingDynasty

Not exactly shocking, but he is an upgrade over Joel Anthony so it still sucks for the rest of the league. The Heat basically don't have a weakness, except they could use a better point.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He was in Houston before that and worked out and did a meet-n-greet with Rockets staff. I'm not sure if that's indicative of anything. I'm not saying it's wrong, but a little more specificity on what indicates Dampier's leanings would be worthwhile.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Anyone actually surprised? lol

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thank goodness.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

So they don't have a weakness except for their major hole at point guard?

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They could stick Matt Maloney at point and still win the championship. Won't matter.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Another reason to not like the Heat!!

Let me know when they sign Pol Pot to play SF.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He had already picked Miami before both meetings took place. He helps Bosh in some areas but in others he doesn't. They are hoping Dampier can be to Bosh what Bynum is to Gasol.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

LOL my guess is Dampier will be to Bosh what Cato was to Yao...

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

My sentiment exactly!

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

D Wade and Lebron are gonna play the point... :rolleyes:

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Damp made a pretty reasonable decision, it seems. My guess is the 2nd year will be a player option. If Damp is the starter this year and gets minutes, he can easily make up the $1.2 mil gap in salary by becoming a FA and getting a higher contract (even if the lockout takes out part of the upcoming season).

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's also concievable that he signs for the minimum this year and next year gets the MLE from them.

I think Miami runs away with it at this point. Their only weakness is on court chemistry (only expansion teams bring in this many new faces at once).

But....

Dampier/Anthony/Big Z
    Bosh/Haslem/Howard
    LBJ/Miller/Jones
    Wade/House
    Chalmers/Arroyo

That lineup is scary. They literally could weather a major injury and still be too much for 90% of the league.

Evan

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Conceivable? Yes. But it better not be a pre-arranged deal, or the league will come down on the Heat. BIG TIME.

I wonder what sort of draft pick sanctions the league would impose on the Heat, who have essentially traded away either swap rights or entire picks for the foreseeable future to Cleveland and Toronto.

No picks in 2018, 2019 and 2020??? :confused:

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

For sure...but the real trick is that there can't be evidence. These deals happen a lot, but are all wink wink. The Wolves were stupid enough to put the deal down in writing and got caught. All worlds of dumb.

17. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Any of the Heat's surplus Centers worth pursuing as a 3rd string C here?

I think they just signed everyone so trades couldn't happen anyways for a while but just curious...

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If I were Dampier I'd choose the Heat too.

Ability to start, plus you have the big 3 so it will make my stats seem better than I really am.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

My guess is that the Heat will have to waive at least one of them.

Better to wait them out and get one of them without having to give up any assets.

20. albuster

albuster Member

This. Plus, if, as sports pundits are predicting, the Heat win the championship, Dampier will probably get a big boost in his market value.