1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Day 1 of free agency...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Great day of free agency. Best single day in franchise history as far as free agency goes, in my opinion.

If you're GM, where do you go from here? Here's my draft thoughts:

With the lineman we've signed, and Quessenberry coming back, I doubt we take more than one. I'd guess it'd be someone like Max Tuerk in the third or fourth.

There's so many ways to go. I'd love something like this:

1. Trade back and pick up an extra second round pick. Draft a Nose that falls.
    2A. Hunter Henry
    2B. Carl Nassib
    3. Hackenberg
    4. Tuerk
    5. Random RB (Paul Perkins or Prosise if they fall)
    6. BPA
    7.BPA

Osweilers contract most likely allows you to cut him after two years if he's not worthy. Drafting Hackenberg is a good backup plan in case he pans out or Brock doesn't. Cut or trade Hoyer.

Getting a tight end completes our offensive puzzle. We don't need a WR yet, IMO. Strong and Shorts will be fine.

Nassib could be great player in the league, IMO and immediately is better than Crick.

The Nose would be great value. There are many good ones and we could get someone that could be a pro bowler quickly after Wilfork retires.

Tuerk could be a day one starter.

Not sure about the RB. Still not sold on Blue- would rather have Grimes. I like Hunt as a change of pace. If either of the two guys I listed somehow fall to the fifth round, you take them, IMO.

Then BPA with what's left.

Also, don't underestimate Cliett coming back. His role with this team was going to be an interesting one last year, I think. The staff really liked him, and I think he'd have gotten some good time as a hybrid safety/linebacker.

One thing that I'm extremely excited for is this:

This is the year we really start to see O'Brien's stamp on the entire team. The makeover is starting to be completed. Some team speed seems to be something we're looking for, and I think it'll help in O'Brien's offense a lot.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Depends on who is there when they draft.

Could see them going best available at ot, dl in the first, other one or interior like in the second, etc. through the first three rounds depending on who fell.

Personally I hope they get a qb in first three rounds personally

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are still going to be looking for an OT to mentor behind Duane Brown. I'm pretty sure they'd love Jack Conklin to fall to #22, but I doubt that happens. Vernon Butler is a great athlete at NT and this is right where he's supposed to go. I know a bunch of people are on the Will Fuller train, but he is so one dimensional. Send him on a go or a post, or you might as well not send him at all. He'll be murdered if you try and send him over the middle in the NFL. He doesn't even do it in college. He also has little baby hands (8.25") and body catches almost everything.

One from left field - Texans met with Jalen Smith at the combine. Would you drop a second rounder on a guy who might have been the best player in the draft before injury, knowing he's going to sit out the year? I think this is right about where teams start to think about him, depending on the medical evaluation.

Austin Hooper is an ideal "move" tight in to fit in with the inline guys. Physically, his dimensions are more like Owen Daniels than the longer mostly blocking guys like CJ Fiedorowicz. I think he is in play for their second if he's there. Maybe Chris Jones at DE here, who physically is a perfect 3/4 DE, but needs someone like RAC to whip him into shape. See what RAC did with Dontari Poe.

O line should be in play for their 3rd if they don't go first. Maybe even an interior guy even if they draft a OT earlier. C Jack Allen of Michigan St. is supposed to go right around here. At OT, Le'Raven Clark is built like Frankenstein's tackle and this is his range. He doesn't look that great to me but O line coaches supposedly think he has tools to be coached up into a really good tackle. Watching games, I've fallen in love with Justin Simmons from BC as a safety. If I was drafting for the Texans I'd look at him here. Not sure if he's even on their radar.

If they haven't taken a center by now, they should think about it in the 4th or 5th. Deep class at that position.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Smith in the second would be a huge win for us. Supposed great kid, loves football, big time talent.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rd1 Jason Spriggs, OT
    Rd2 Vernon Butler, DT/Karl Joseph, SS
    Rd3 Best G/C
    Rd4 Hackenberg

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If I'm GM, I smoke something to celebrate, I know Strong is holding.....

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good teams build through the draft. This is part of the reason I hated to see Brooks and Jones go. Only Mercilus and Crick are left from that draft and Crick might be gone this offseason. It's not their fault that other teams want their players more but they need to keep drafting well to make sure they're not depleted. Get their own guys and develop them and keep them as much as they can while at the same time drafting their replacements. I hope players like McKinney, KJohnson, Strong, Hal, Lonnie all work out and keep the team strong.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

"good teams build through the draft". That's only true because it means you have guys on friendly contracts who are contributing to the rest. Brooks and Jones wouldn't have been on friendly contracts, so they just have to replace those guys one way or another

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I posted that it is not their fault that other teams want to pay more for those guys but they need to keep drafting well to alleviate the impact of their losses.

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Why are people still wanting Hackenburg? I'd rather pick Prescot or Hogan where ever they fall.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Rd1. Robinson DT Alabama
    Rd2. Dodd DE Clemson
    Rd3. Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
    Rd4. BPA
    Rd5. BPA
    Rd6. BPA
    Rd7. BPA

A draft like that would okay with me LOL!!!

12. Buck Turgidson

...unless you're the Patriots drafting in the first couple of rounds

13. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Hackenberg may not even get drafted.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. DT Billings
    2. C Ryan Kelly
    3. OT Murphy
    4. WR Listenbee
    5. ILB Martinez and TE Okwara
    6. FS Powell
    7. TE Griswold

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Love Ryan Kelly. Day 1 plug and play starter

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Names I like in the first few rds

Jack Conklin, Jason Spriggs, Ryan Kelly, Corey Coleman, Vernon Butler, Vonn Bell, Carl Nassib, Karl Joseph, Hunter Henry, Christian Hackenberg

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Within one day, the draft became 10x more important while simultaneously becoming 10x less interesting.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We need a tight end so bad.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Do we have any money left to get one?

20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I used to be annoyed by OBrien wanting "versatile players" that can play multiple positions. I wasn't a fan of jack-of-all-trades types. But now with the o-line the way it is they Texans have the flexibility to simply draft the best lineman on the board and work around him.

Brown/ Newton or Rookie at tackle
    XSF/ Allen/ Newton or Rookie at guard
    XSF or Rookie at center

Mix and match and find the best combo.