1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks Staying Positive [BlackAthlete.net]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

Always nice to hear about one of our own doin' the right thing...

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Basketball_6/Talkin_Hoops_with_Aaron_Brooks.shtml

Talkin' Hoops with Aaron Brooks by Wesley Chism, Jr.

SEATTLE (BASN) -- While most NBA players have been spending the past few days exploring free agency, point guard Aaron Brooks of the Houston Rockets was at Seattle Academy talking about math.

“I love math and it was one of my favorite subjects in school,” stated Aaron.

On June 29th, Aaron spoke to a group of captive students attending the Aaron Brooks Basketball Camp and stressed the importance of education. “Getting my degree is one of my greatest accomplishments and is something that I will treasure for the rest of my life."

"Not only did I get a great education and play a sport that I love but I attended the University of Oregon, the greatest school in the world,” he added. To reiterate the importance of education, next year Aaron will be giving away $1,000.00 scholarships to every camper that returns.

All that the individual needs to do is bring their reports cards from the 2009-10 and 2010-11 school year. To the campers that show some improvement in each of their subjects, Aaron will hand them a check for $1,000.00.

The Aaron Brooks Skills and Drills Basketball camp worked the players out each day on shooting, ball handling, passing and a variety of other drills, but he also stressed the importance of decision making.

“One decision can ruin your entire life and I’ve surrounded myself with positive people and made the most of every opportunity given to me.”

To be a successful point guard in the NBA you’ve got to make good decisions. “By doing this you become a leader and give your teammates the confidence to trust you,” said Aaron.

It was gems like this that he shared throughout the week.

As the 2010 NBA Most Improved Player recipient, Aaron knows the rewards that work can bring and encourage the kids to be the best at whatever they do in life. “To be successful at anything in life you’ve got to put in the extra work and concentrate on the little things.”

Many people told Aaron that he was too small to play basketball and early on he would’ve never made it on a team if it wasn’t for the fact that his mother was the coach.

He did try a few other sports and still enjoys bowling but nothing came close to the feeling that he had on the basketball court.

It’s that type of passion for the game that he shared with the campers but he could often be seen on the court giving that extra bit of encouragement or participating in some of the activities with the group.

Aaron was subbed in during the camp tournament game and always seemed to be on the winning team. Next season, Aaron promises to do everything he can to put the Rockets back in the hunt of things.

Center Yao Ming will be back in the fold as well as a few other additions to the team. “We’re going to be exciting to watch and we’ll have some games that will be on ESPN.

Until then, he’s working out everyday on the basic things and finding ways to become better.

2 people like this.
  2. Rockets87

Rockets87 Member

Thanks for posting this, he seems like such a nice guy.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's really cool that AB's doing that. Great find! :cool:

4. ILoveTheRockets

must stay a rocket :cool:

5. DUHK

DUHK Member

Aaron Brooks: my hero.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was excited when he was drafted. Little guy rocks

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Speedy point guards are key to beating Lakers.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's neat that we have a team full of players we can be proud of off the court too.

9. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

thats cool

10. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

Amen. I love that a lot of Rockets players have such respectable reputations and help for great causes.

It just doesn't get classier than this, Dikembe or Shane Battier.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

man that's a humble person.

12. kevtse

kevtse Member

Our team is full of good guys

13. yalelaw11

yalelaw11 Member

good to hear

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks is one of my favorite black atheletes.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Some prominent economist (can't remember his name now, lol), surmised that kids should be "bribed" into educational achievements. For example, $35 for each A brought at the end of each semester. It fosters a definitive goal for that child, and in the process makes that person into a better student.

Brooks is really maturing as a person and becoming a leader on and off the field. Would not trade him into a package for Bosh, especially if we lose our promising youth. Flame suit on.

16. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

A nice guy off the court, but will rip your head off on the court.

17. somenobody

somenobody Member

Cool story!

It seems like he is not influenced by the whole FA stuff because he might be one of the assets Morey put on the table for Bosh SnT!

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's the white Calvin Murphy.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nice going Aaron. Keep Houston classy!

I think we have one of the, if not the, classiest teams in the NBA.

20. ezzie

ezzie Member

this is why i root for the rockets, they're all classy guys