1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A snapshot of Westbrook's overrated (and Harden's underrated) defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

NOTE 1: I know youtube highlights are not the greatest quantitative ways to prove anything, but there is no greater snapshot of why Westbrook's defense is so atrocious (yes, worse than Harden's) than these couple key plays in the final moments of game two.

NOTE 2: I'm not saying Harden's defense has been great this year (though he's had his moments... and in 2015, I think he showed us he can be a consistently net positive defender when he feels like it).

Now without further ado:

Exhibit A: With just over two mins left, and the Thunder down two, they desperately need a stop. Thankfully, Westbrook is well aware, and he always plays with so much FIRE! Especially in the 4th! Look at this suffocating close-out on Patrick Beverley's 3-pt attempt. Just look at that FIRE:

Exhibit B: With the Rockets up 8 with about 90 seconds left, they probably have it in the bag. James "Haren" never plays D, anyways, but now he has a pass to take a play or so off. Dipo's gonna drain this whlie Harden just takes a nap, no biggie:

Westbrook gotta get dem rebounds, doe! Doesn't matter if he makes Bev look like Stephen Curry in the process!

And to think this guy is about to take Harden's MVP... inb4jinx

Vivi, DonKnock, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

To be fair, I'm not sure it was Westbrook's rotation on the Bev 3. Once EG blew by Roberson on the pump drive, Adams vacated Nene to stop EG, and Westbrook had to help on Nene. So maybe Westbrook is supposed to help and recover or maybe Grant is supposed to rotate off Ariza from the elbow 3. You don't know what the rotations are supposed to be without inside knowledge or having tons of film.

By the way, all you did was repost the same 2 videos from Clutch's thread last night.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...h-threes-to-silence-thunder-in-game-2.282097/
    You could have just replied in that thread and said "this is an example of...."

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh goodie, another Westbrook thread

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

From Grant's position at the elbow 3, there's no way he can get between Nene and the basket. IMO, Westbrook was supposed to rotate to Nene, and Grant was supposed to rotate to Beverley. That would force the Rockets to make an extra pass to Ariza which could've given OKC's defense enough time to recover.

jbasket likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is true. And on the second play, Grant should be getting back... but to be fair to Grant, this is not what he's accustomed to.

In either case, it's not like Westbrook is good defensively, but nitpicking plays isn't super helpful, imo.
    More to the point, he just is too lazy generally all the time defensively. Even when he does rotate, it's just with a laziness that... well, it reminds me of Harden. [no offense to either, but its true]. I mean on the first play, what exactly was Russ' plan? He wasn't in position to stop anyone. If he was supposed to be the one rotating, he hadn't done a good job of that either.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I know right? Dude we gotta just enjoy the win. Being a sore winner is worse than being a sore loser

7. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Hard to say if Westbrook missed a rotation or if that was someone else's assignment. That being said, the video is reminiscent of the video circulated at the end of the season of Westbrook watching his man shoot uncontested 3's. He may have gotten in the habit of sagging off his man to collect rebounds. Old habits die hard sometimes...

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If you're guarding Beverley on the baseline (who has been shooting well), it's not your responsibility to help off of him on that play... especially that early. He was never within any respectable distance of Bev, and then he never even tried to close out. He left that to a teammate who was even further away. Maybe if Harden just beat his man and was about to get a layup, yeah, help out. Otherwise, OKC's whole strategy was to stick to shooters... unless your'e Westbrook, then go for rebounds.

His mentality may have been to help, but it was still the wrong way to cover that play, and a pretty half-assed attempt at help to begin with.

And I didn't see that thread. Plus I posted the vids with links to specific points in time. And I feel like this is worth discussing outside the context of that thread, in any case.

Also, it needs to be made clear that this is not new.

#8 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That defense tho!

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The Westbrook v Harden thing is the most interesting thing about this series. Everything we discuss on this board is bull**** anyways.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well I guess you sure told me. Guess I'll just go slink back under my rock. :rolleyes:

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then who was supposed to provide help defense against Nene?

AFS and jbasket like this.
  13. jbasket

jbasket Member

No. It's Westbrook's job as the weak-side corner to rotate on Nene in this case for help defense since Roberson got burned. It is most absolutely his responsibility because if he stayed on bev, nene is getting an open dunk.

If you gonna criticize, make sure you are 100% right.

Period. That's fact. OP is wrong. Close thread.

14. atam

atam Member

Honestly, watching James Harden guard a fast break is the most cringeworthy thing. I've tried to argue for him, but after watching yesterday, his defense is just atrocious, and it's because he literally gives 0 Fs. How he managed to have 5 fouls is beyond me.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol, I edited my post because I didn't feel like being a dick in response to you being a dick. My apologies. But yeah, this is an interesting topic to me. If you disagree, there are plenty of other threads you can post in instead. Anyways, this is the last of my participation in this discussion.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

stay calm

17. atam

atam Member

100% Correct. Nene had a guaranteed 2 points if Westbrook wasn't there to help. Any team will live with a Bev 3 over a Nene layup.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Even if this is true, as I said, it was an extremely half-assed attempt at help. He could have at least actually covered Nene or his passing lane, but he didn't. He just stood around watching. If Nene caught that pass, Westbrook would have been able to do nothing but foul, and very likely give up an and-1 given his size [and laziness]. Then as the pass was made to Bev, he made absolutely zero attempt to close out. Plus, Nene was close enough to Gordon that Adams could have in theory recovered (though his five fouls were a problem, admittedly). Westbrook put himself in a position that no matter what Gordon did, he was not going to be able to properly contest a Rockets' scoring attempt.

So you are wrong. Period. That's a fact. Exit thread.

See? I can play that game, too.

#18 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough! appreciate the comment. carry on.

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This isn't a family dinner. Cursing doesn't mean I'm not calm... Was just stating a fact.

He gave a couple Fs in that 4th as the game was on the line. Unlike Westbrook who only knew how to shoot.

#20 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017