1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A look at Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons easiest 20 game stretches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

With all the talk about how the Rockets have only won 20 games in a row because of their weak schedule, I figured it would be interesting to take a look at the weakest 20 game stretches from some of the most highly regarded teams in the league. These are subjective to some extent, but I did the best I could. They are presented below.

Boston Celtics (11/2 - 12/16) | 18 Wins, 2 Losses

Washington
    Toronto
    Denver
    Atlanta
    New Jersey
    Miami
    Orlando (L)
    Golden State
    L.A. Lakers
    Charlotte
    Cleveland
    New York
    Miami
    Cleveland (L)
    Philadelphia
    Toronto
    Chicago
    Sacramento
    Milwaukee
    Toronto

Los Angeles Lakers (2/1 - 3/11) | 17 Wins, 3 Losses

Toronto
    Washington
    New Jersey
    Atlanta (L)
    Orlando
    Miami
    Charlotte
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Phoenix
    L.A. Clippers
    Seattle
    Portland
    Miami
    Portland (L)
    Dallas
    Sacramento
    L.A. Clippers
    Sacramento (L)
    Toronto

San Antonio Spurs (1/24 - 3/6) | 16 Wins, 4 Losses

Miami
    New Orleans (L)
    Utah (L)
    Seattle (L)
    Phoenix
    Indiana
    Washington
    New York
    Boston (L)
    Toronto
    Cleveland
    Charlotte
    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    Atlanta
    Dallas
    Milwaukee
    New Jersey
    New Jersey
    Indiana

Detroit Pistons (11/1 - 12/11) | 14 Wins, 6 Losses

Miami
    Orlando
    Atlanta
    Chicago (L)
    L.A. Clippers
    Seattle
    Portland (L)
    Golden State
    L.A. Lakers (L)
    Sacramento (L)
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Utah (L)
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee
    New Jersey
    Atlanta
    New Orleans
    Chicago (L)
    Charlotte

The Celtics, Pistons, and Lakers all had comparable 20 game stretches in my opinion. The Spurs featured a couple of extra challenges, but not 4 losses worth. One interesting thing to note is that all those teams, without exception, lost to at least one team that we have beaten in our streak. In fact, the teams above lost a combined 9 games to those teams during the 20 game streaks listed above. The Lakers streak is especially noteable, because the 3 games they lost were all to teams we have beaten (Atlanta, Sacramento, Portland).

It seems that a fairly easy 20 game stretch doesn't guarantee you a 20 game win streak after all. Maybe it takes a team that cares more about rebounds and collecting every last loose ball than they do about being the lead story on Sportscenter...more about taking a charge than taking a jumper...more about W's than double-doubles.

Maybe, just maybe, it takes a group of guys playing inspired basketball with a chip on their collective shoulder that's big enough to represent a decade of shortcomings and bad breaks. Maybe it just takes a damn good TEAM.

Nah...couldn't be that.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Great post CCR! It's amazing to me that so many people can discount it, when no one else has done it in 37 years.

Maybe I should send them this post link! :)

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good Thread. I wonder how many B2B's there were for the streaking teams, and their opponents.

Still, Atlanta has a heckuva talented squad. Jersey's trio was rotisserie-like. Bobcats' J-Will and Wallace are capable of 50+ pt nites any nite. And so forth. They're all on the schedule, and they all have to be played.

I cannot be certain, of course, but weren't Finals 'worthy' teams like the Cavs and Cavs and Hornets and Hornets and Mavs, Nugs, and Warriors all played in the last 20 by the locals from the Toy Shop?

Now, for tanking teams...from here thru end of season that's another issue.

4. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

This is the best thread I've ever seen , great !

5. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

This a great point. This should be required reading for every national analyst before they call another one of our games, or make their comments in the national media. (especially the Rox/Lakers national telecast on Sunday)

Its funny how you and some other clutchfans have more ability to go and get the facts, think, analyze and reason than most of the "professional" analysts do.

Thanks for your research. This is good ammunition. I will point this out to my friends who are Mavwrecks fans.

6. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Great post! It just goes to show how overblown this "Rockets are the worst best team ever" coverage is.

7. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

very much the greatest post i've read in a long time, good job!

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Amen brotha! Outstanding post.

Dismissing our streak by strength of schedule is so weak. A little common sense would tell you that every team has easy stretches too, but they still lose some here and there.

But, nothing like cold, hard facts to make the case! :D

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Don't you just love facts?

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

i think the overall suckiness of the eastern conference has people underestimating the Celtics. They are better than the Lakers and every other team in the NBA (except for us of course!).

I don't see why people seem to disregard their record, especially against the wester conference, as well as ours(#2 in the west).

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

CCR is our stats Morey guy of the BBS, good research.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Someone must be really bored at work. :p

13. ClutchCityReturns

I love to fiddle with statistics, discover trends, etc., but I can't accept that honor. We have others who easily top me (durvasa & Kim just to name a couple).

Thanks though.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good job CCR...We have chemistry,new additions,an offense that takes full advantage of our players strong points (which is still developing),and killer team D.The addition of Scola has been key too.

And we have Tracy playing some of the best basketball he's ever played (not physically,but using his noggin,being a team player,and stepping up when we need him)The guy's moving much better out there too.

I have a really good feeling we're going to win the whole enchilada assuming Carl comes back.....and it sounds like he will.

15. ClutchCityReturns

All day everyday, playa.

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Don't underestimate Lakers and Spurs. Lakers will be even better when Bynum is back in the lineup. The Spurs haven't really over use the full potential of their starting lineup just yet. They are resting and saving it for the PO which matter the most.

Spurs and probably Detroit are the 2 teams that are probably bore to death during the regular season games and can't wait to get going in the PO. These guys already been winners so they probably less motivated then the rest of the league.

We have 5 tough games coming up and that can probably throw us out of the PO standing again or last place.

17. plee

plee Member

Would be good if you can see if any of the "stars" on the team were out because of an injury. I'm sure the nay-sayers would bring that up... <star> was out in those loses :rolleyes: But it's a good stat and show just how difficult long winning streaks can be in the NBA.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

:raises hand: I just got here 30 mins ago :(

19. ClutchCityReturns

This thread isn't about underestimating any of those teams. Hell, I could probably find a fairly easy stretch of 20 games for the 72-10 Bulls, but they didn't win all of them. That's the point. All these teams are really damn good, but didn't do what the Rockets are doing.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nicely done. During the course of this streak, it's become painfully obvious to me that most sports writers and commentators don't do their homework, choosing instead to simply parrot what the other guys are saying.