1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8 undrafted free agents I'd like the Texans to get.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. WR Brian Poi-Dixon, UCLA (6'5", 210, 4.48 40yd) - Ok, I understand that he's known for his inconsistancy, and I understand that the fact that he's had several broken wrists is a red flag, but when he's healthy, and he's on his game, he's as good as anybody. On cbs.sportsline.com they compare him to former UCLA WR J.J. Stokes, and I think that's wonderfully accurate. And, while Stokes may have been a bust as a 1st rounder, he'd have been an incredible FA pickup.

2. LB Trev Faulk, LSU (6'3", 241, 4.9 40yd) - Passionate LB, excelent in pass coverage, came out as a Junior. He was a productive college guy, but supposedly is a bit undersized, and the 4.9 is a bit slow. Of course, that was the knock on Zach Thomas.

3. TE Tim Straton, Purdue (6'5", 251, 4.97 40yd) - Every statistical measure of athletic ability says that this guy shouldn't be any good. Furthermore, he was a 'high maintance' guy in college, and generally unpopular. What's to like then? He was just the most productive pass catching TE in the nation for the past two years. Think, perhaps Frank Wycheck, in the sence that he has great hands for catching the saftey valve type TE stuff.

4. WR Ryan Flemming, Air Force (6'4", 206, 4.6 40yd) - O.K. I'll admit I've never seen him play. Nevertheless, I've never read any sort of negative review. He had an off year as a senior, but set an AF record with 52 catches. Having graduated from Air Force, once can also imagine that he'd be a diciplined, hard worker.

5. RB Damian Anderson, Northwestern (5'10", 211, 4.56 40yd) - Again, another super-productive college guy. Probably went undrafted due to his lack of size, his average speed, and the fact that he played in a spread/run-'n-shoot type of offense. I bet he'd make a great 3rd down RB type.

6. FS Jason Herbert, Rice (5'11", 190, 4.63 40yd) - Slow, slightly small, but heady DB. IMHO, there are many safties who are successfull despite average to poor 40 times. Also, it can't hurt to pick up the local guy, as well as a cerebrial Rice grad.

7. FB Jeremy Allen, Iowa (5'11", 241, 4.54 40yd) - Super-athlete who came to Iowa on a track scholarship. Not real experienced, but if he ever 'gets it', he's as talented as anybody.

8. FB/RB Joe Hall, Kansas St. (5'11", 293, 4.79 40yd) - I just like the fact that he's the probably the biggest FB to ever put on the pads, short of the 'Fridge (though he's been as heavy as 344lbs). Good runner, but he has problems with (what else) his weight.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I definitely agree with you on Faulk. He'd be a great asset.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What no Major Applewhite! He wasn't drafted, was he?

4. haven

haven Member

Here's one from my school: Lenny Walls. As a junior, everyone expected him to go on the first day, if he went pro. He returned to college, and managed to avoid getting drafted entirely.

He's a 6'4 corner, who managed to shut-down some of the better receivers he faced. He's also an excellent tackler for a DB, and has soft hands. He had a really terrific junior season, in which he was one of the top 5 in interceptions.

His real problem, is that he tends not to show up every game. I think the two miami games work as a good analogy. The first time he faced them (was a juco transfer), he got burned time-after-time. The second, I think his man caught one pass.

I'm actually pretty surprised he didn't get drafted. I'd just assumed that he would be, since his physical skills are obvious, and even inconsistent players that perform extremely well at times usually manage to find a home.

ESPN's scouting report...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=3949

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maybe Kelly Campbell from Gtech as well would be a good look. Ronald Curry went but Major Applewhite Didn't?

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

curry's big, mobile and has a much stronger arm than applewhite. even if he busts at QB, curry's likely atheltic enough to give another position a try.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ric - I think The Raiders are taking QB's like Gannon so they can run the West Coast offense like its running now. Gannon is mobile, accurate, but he cannot throw the deep ball. They already know Bobby Hoying is probably not the answer, I think drafting Tuiasosopo and Curry are smart moves. Both are athletic and can scramble pretty well.

If Curry shows anything in Camp we might keep him somewhere even if not at QB.

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'd really like Applewhite to get picked up and get a chance. I think he might be able to create himself a long career, probably starting as a #3 guy, but in the right system I could see him being a decent #2.

That having been said, I think that of all the QB's in the world for the Texans to pick up, this would be about the worst possible one. It would be As The Chris Simms Turns, redux for Carr. I think we can assume that the Texans have one of the higest followings, after Dallas, of fans who also happen to be UT fans. The significant subsection of that population that were pro-Applewhite all season would act the same here.

If Carr only throws for 220 yds, instead of 300? Yank him. Put in Applewhite. It would be worse than a normal QB controversy. It would be a controversy between two QB's with clearly different talent levels. Carr could run circles around Applewhite, and some people would still be demanding Applewhite start.

9. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

How does Marques Tuiasosopo fit in the picture? Do the Raiders still like him or is this some sort of 'sign'?

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Picking Tuiasosopo was really Al Davis just getting what he wants. Still, We probably could have drafted a much better player and gotten him in the third round. I do know that he is a strong athlete who is a leader and a winner. Maybe they feel He can somehow take over the reigns in a couple years. I really don't know. But the Raiders have not drafted a Good QB since the 70s. If I know Al Davis he is hoping he can find a decent College QB for a change. The Raiders are more known for getting QB's via Free Agency.

I can't believe no one even took Kelly Campbell, That guy was supposed to go Round 2 before the combine. he is only 5-10 but he could be worth a look from somebody.

I'm betting the Raiders are grooming 2000 2nd round pick Jerry Porter to be the main guy when Rice and Brown hang it up, Still Antonio Bryant and Marquis Walker were available at 53 and 55 and we passed them up for another Tight End and a huge OL who has never lived up to hype.

The Texans would be smart to go out and sign a bunch of undrafted FAs, Guys Like Applewhite, Poli-Dixon, and Faulk could really contribute.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

If Applewhite is given a chance to start, he will become one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game.

12. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I agree that some of the free agents, that could and should have been drafted, need to be acquired as free agents by the Texans immediately. These players include MLB Trev Faulk, FS Lenny Walls, and definitely, my man WR Kelly Campbell from GA tech. I'm sure Casserly and Co. really know what they're doing, being that they spent two years preparing for this draft, but when I saw some of these players still on the board in the 5th to 7th rounds, I kept thinking the Texans would nab them up. Instead, they went with a no-name project players. I know Faulk, and Campbell could have filled needed positions on the roster, which is why I'm really thrown off by the decisions not to take them with our late picks.

Campbell has been one of the best performers on the college level, at reciever, the past 3 years. He had monster junior and senior seasons, and at one point was considered 2nd round quality. He has a 5'10" frame, and isn't the fastest guy, but he has excellent hands, and makes plays up and down the field, something the Texans need right away. Mel Kiper Jr. actually still had Campbell in his top 10 WR list on the draft days, which is why I can't understand why other 30th ranked WR's were taken and he wasn't! Damn it Texans!

Trev Faulk is also a needed player on our team. He was a big name, big time player at LSU at the MLB spot. The Texans are lacking depth or even a starter at the spot, and I thought Houston should have taken him with at least the "mr. irrelevent pick (final draft pick)". He was considered one of the top MLB's in the draft right after the college season ended last year.

Does anyone else think that these guys could have been steals if we had taken them in the draft this year because of their overall talent and big names?

13. Hey Now!

applewhite may get picked up by someone, but he won't break camp with any team -- he's not near good enough to make it in the NFL; let alone challenge for a #2 role -- that's just silly.

14. Hey Now!

both have been signed by denver.

as for them being "steals" in later rounds.... don't a) get caught up in known names; b) forget that they were passed over 261 times....

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

Calling Bucky Richardson. Bucky Richardson to the front, please!

16. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Shh... I was trying to placate all the members of the Applewhite cult before I explained why I thought he was a bad idea.

That having been said, I think if Josh Heupel, Josh Booty, Tim Hasselbeck, and Billy Volek can all make it through the year on an NFL roster, I see hope for Applewhite. If he were a bubble 3rd string guy the coaches would like to keep him around for his cerebrial approach.

There are certanly lots of QB's that have stuck around after good college careers, despite the lack of athletic ability or arm strength, because they were smart, they worked hard, and they were happy throwing passes to recievers in practice. I believe the word that inveriably gets attached is 'moxie'?

#16 Ottomaton, Apr 22, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2002
  17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

The Patriots, btw, have just picked up Applewhite.

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Richardson was the difference between a 2-14 season and a 0-16 season in 1994. If that's not greatness, I don't know what is. :)

19. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

i think DD Lewis would make a fine pro. im shocked he was not drafted. he'd provide good depth at LB.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

DD Lewis-The epitome of a LB who took advantage of his DTs.