1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

57-11-7 game of Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Nov 4, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Just amazing!! Does this prove anything or was it an anomaly? To me it definitely says something about his lack of aggressiveness and coasting attitude he usually plays with early in the season and parts of the regular season. This guy is so skilled and strong, he can get to the basket any time he wants and just bulldoze his way to the hoop. Nobody can stop that man but himself.

2. Mr. Space City

craziest thing about his statline last night was only 9 free throw attempts and 2 made 3's.

usually guys have like 7+ 3's or 20+ free throw attempts to get to 57.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not as impressive as james harden 50pts TD

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Three far more impressive performances:

&

&

Harden did it on 26&28 shots. Westbrook on 32 shots. LeBron called his own number 34 times.

LeBron was really impressive, but last year still looms over this great performance.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron didn't take a lot of fts thats why he took more shots. In terms of actual shots taken he has more pts per shot.

Also if you're gonna bring up last year like it's a ****ing crime to lose to a team with 4 all stars (+Iggy who is a former all star) why not go even further back and remember LBJ has 4 MVP awards and 3 FMVP awards? I'm pretty sure those loom even larger than a losing performance against the most star laden team in NBA history.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

This era is what's stopping Lebron. He should have played in the 80's where his combination of Malone's body with Kobe's athleticism and skills coupled with the more physical nature of the game would have made Jordan and basically every wing player in the era cry. If handchecks were allowed no wing player will be able to score on Lebron, he will just bulk up and stop everybody dead on their tracks.

However since Lebron plays in the modern era he has to manage himself because the game is so fast now athlete's bodies get injured or break down a lot quicker. I don't think Lebron is coasting as much as he is trying to whatever fuel he has in the tank. It's a long season and he wants to beat GSW in the playoffs and not in the regular season. However Cavs have been losing games left and right so I guess he felt he had to go all out.

OTMax likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

53/26 = 2.04 points per shot
    51/28 = 1.82 points per shot
    51/32 = 1.56 points per shot
    57/34 = 1.68 points per shot

Me thinks your math is off. At least it is in the Harden games.

These are all one game performances. All three of my examples include more rebounds and more assists. Those assist numbers are what make these performances so special. LeBron took 34 shots, next closest guy took less than half that number. James Harden shot 26 times, next closest guy shot 19 times. He was sharing that rock. LeBron just went off on a great shooting night, Westbrook&Harden did it all. I could care less about past awards when talking about a ONE GAME PERFORMANCE. You're losing it bro. I'm not comparing careers, just one game.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think he’s including free throws in “actual shots taken”

MorningZippo likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

He's comparing something that's not comparable if that's the case. Fouls usually come when someone was about to score for sure.

James had 18 FTs so let's convert that to 9 extra shots if we make 2 FTs = 1 shot. So James had 35 shots.

1.51 points per shot using my complete b.s. metric.

LeBron had 9 FTs so same thing and Lebron had 38.5 shots.

1.48 points per shot.

@roslolian is off no matter how you add it up. I mean some of these FTs are And1s and they're earned. Some are on 3 point shots so should only qualify as 1 shot instead of 1.5. If you count "actual shots taken" I guaran****ingtee that James had the better game and it's not even comparable because James had 10 more assists. Dude is full of it.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Lebron’s game was more impressive statistically — and then even more so when you consider it was done on the road against a conference rival.

The game score rating provides a nice measure that sums up a player’s statistical contributions in a given game. Available in the basketball-reference game logs.

#10 durvasa, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    MorningZippo likes this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

LeBron was incredible but part of it was the insane decision of the Wizards to guard him one-on-one with smaller players. That was just stupid.

Still, some of the turnaround fade away shots he hit were crazy.

hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Absolute BOSS game by Lebron. 23-34 in FGs? He had 14 FGs in the paint. BOSS!

13. don grahamleone

It was impressive, but it wasn't as impressive as Harden's. No friggin' way that a guy that puts up that smaller number of shots with a similar scoring effect and 10 more assists is having the lessor game. Harden had the best triple double performance ever. Hands down.

Here's how it actually happened:

"They say, 'Why doesn't he do that all the time?' That's a lot of wear and tear in that paint. He plays on top of the key because he's a pass-first guy. But tonight he knew no one could guard him and we needed it. He put on a clinic."

It's important to state, this was an outlier game.

It's not as if this is a "new" James. The Wizards allowed him to get on smaller defenders. He totally worked John Wall, scoring seven baskets on him. He made 5 of 6 shots with Bradley Beal on him. Washington elected not to be aggressive in double-teaming James often, despite the Cavs deploying some lineups without much of an outside shooting countermeasure.

#13 don grahamleone, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't subscribe to the view that a triple double should count any extra, and I suppose you don't either unless you bought into the arguments that Westbrook deserved extra credit for his MVP because he averaged a triple double last year.

I'm sure you're also not saying that points + fga + assists alone define how good a game a player had, which is what you're second sentence is implying.

Let's look at the boxscore:

RkPlayerDateTmOppMPFGFGA3P3PAFTFTAFT%ORBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPTSGmSc
    2LeBron James2017-11-03CLEWAS43233424991.00051173235753.2
    4James Harden2016-12-31HOUNYK4214269161618.889316170085348.7
    Absent from your analysis, but captured by Game Score, is: 3 steals, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers for LeBron compared to 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 8 turnovers for Harden.

In terms of contributions to Game Score Rating (scoring rating includes efficiency, misc. includes steals + blocks + turnovers)

Code:
                    scoring    assists    rebounding    misc.
    LeBron          42.4        4.9        5.3        1.4
    Harden          39.6        11.9        6        -8

Anyway, there's no point really arguing over which game is more "impressive" since that's subjective, but I do question describing Harden's game as "far more impressive". Personally I don't find parading to the free throw line and accumulating points that way all that impressive versus the assortment of turnaround shots LeBron was hitting, although I acknowledge and admire the efficiency of it. I accept one may reasonable counter that they don't find LeBron's shot making all that impressive given the way the Wizards were defending him.

Clown Baby likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

Three things:

1) You're right it's subjective
    2) I see your numbers you listed but don't understand them at all because they have zero context
    3) I probably value assists more than most. Like a lot more. To me if you set up a score for a teammate, you just did wonders for the team. If you score, you better be the best player to score that bucket otherwise you're not using your teammates well. I also love the rebound. Without the ball you can't make buckets or assists. To me a steal has equal value to a rebound. It means your team has the ball. Blocks have intimidation factors that are not possible to quantize (so I'll hand that to you). LeBron's blocks may have changed the whole game.. who actually knows the minds of the defense. We can only go by feel. The turnovers are bad in James' direction but he more than made that up for me with the additional assists and rebounds. Dude was everywhere all game. LeBron was mostly just shooting and doing his job on D that he does on a regular basis.

James excelled in 4 categories vs LeBron excelling in 1.

(points/assists/rebounds/turnovers) vs (points)

How 'bout them turnovers! Also, how 'bout all dat ball hogging by Bron!

I'll still take Harden's game every day of the week, but that doesn't mean I'm disrespecting LeBron's game. Dude was awesome for every minute he played! No denying that.

This is a put the team on your back vs puppet master scenario. I like the puppet master.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

far more impressive performance right there

BigM, Yung-T, Easy and 6 others like this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hardon's was better

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Are all you guys insecure? There’s no need to compare let alone defend Harden here..

Yung-T, roslolian, saleem and 2 others like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He can do it whenever he wants
    but
    he cannot grind like this for 82
    maybe not even for 7

Rocket River

Mazulis and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why can't we just appreciate lbj's performance instead of comparing him to harden.

Yung-T, Easy, roslolian and 2 others like this.