1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As someone who directly benefited from ACA... first, by preventing insurance companies from denying my 23 year old(soon to be 24 year old) coverage, and second, allowing her to stay on my policy longer... while I am sympathetic towards anyone that had to pay more for their coverage, I am admittedly selfish when I say... unless you can prove to me that it went up at least $600 a month (2014 rates, last I could find) of Texas High Risk Pool, I will have trouble feeling too much sympathy.

And btw, NOW is the right time to hold BOTH republicans and Democrats feet to the fire to improve ACA. It can work.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Put in a public option it will solve many problems.

3. NewRoxFan

Again, perhaps. But I think most observers had a feel that someone would step up. Graham is reasonable and enough of a Trump hater that he might be the one to step up. Or perhaps Heller. Or even maybe one of the senators that is more focused on money (after all, the "skinny" plan would increase premiums 20%).

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For a family? Certainly possible that it's gone up in excess of $600 a month.

We had a 50% rate increase last year following multiple large rate increases. If you were paying $1000 a month for a family you are paying well over $1600 by now.

Here is an actual policy for reference.
    Blue Cross PPO HSA eligible 70% plan with a $3000 deductible. Purchased in 2009 for $265 a month. Current rate is $621 per month. Today the policy is no longer available for purchase, but he still has it as a grandfathered plan. The silver HSA HMO from Blue Cross for his age is: $1075.23 per month on the open market.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you said smug? Yes, I realize that and I don't doubt that they will try again... if they have the votes after 2018 midterm.

6. NewRoxFan

OK... now consider what a family increase would be if one member of the family had to pay $600 more, just for basic (not Silver) health care coverage (dental and vision were still possible and included in my coverage plan for the rest of my family... which btw, also went over every year from way before ACA was even an inkling in someone's eye).

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

If you truly cared about people who can't afford health insurance then you wouldn't be saying things like this:

B-Bob likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

And if that vote count comes to 60... as I believe (perhaps more of a hope) that they won't get to claim its simply an amendment that qualifies for 51 vote threshold.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

el gnomo likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They were 1 vote short. The House and the Senate can work together to come up with a version both agree on and the Senate can then pass it with 51 votes is my understanding - just like how they attempted to pass it last night. If the landscape change enough within the Senate (to be more to the right) in 2018 and GOP maintain power, they can pass it.

11. NewRoxFan

At least for one more day...

[​IMG]

12. NewRoxFan

So now, the important questions are what will Trump and his admin do next? Will they stop actively trying to hurt ACA (and the American people)? Will they instead work to at least effectively manage ACA while congress works on improvements? Trump stopped promoting ACA, stopped education programs supporting ACA, and even...

GAO looking into improper HHS healthcare tweets
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/344160-gao-looking-into-improper-hhs-healthcare-tweets

13. justtxyank

I'm not suggesting we go back, I am again pointing out that you, like most democrats, are too dismissive of the very real complaints of middle class and small business consumers in the insurance markets.

14. NewRoxFan

Perhaps you have missed my posts over the many months calling for changes/improvements in ACA to address the very real complaints of middle class and small business consumers.

What we have gotten instead is continual effort to repeal ACA, with no workable alternative. If Trump and congress had put a fraction of the effort to repeal ACA into working on ACA improvements, we as a country could then look at other important topics as infrastructure, jobs, taxes, and homeland security.

B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

most of the GOP law makers do not really care about healthcare problems faced by average Americans, strangely enough, many conservative voters do not care about their self interest either.

16. NewRoxFan

So rather than do the right thing for the American people (swallowing pride and overcome the challenges of pulling republicans and Democrats together to create a working solution), Trump goes for the lazy, dishonest way of working around or outside the rules. It's who he is...

justtxyank likes this.
  17. justtxyank

It's a weird argument to make when the defeat you suffered came because you couldn't even get 50.

superfob likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Please share how passing the bill yesterday would have helped your family. I'm truly curious, given that the skinny repeal helped basically no one at all.

19. justtxyank

He wouldn't have to pay high premiums for his insurance plan anymore because it would no longer exist. I guess that could be viewed as a positive depending on how you look at it.

B-Bob, Amiga and Major like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Oddly enough, it might actually be the one time he's (accidentally) right. Part of the reason they can't get to 50 is probably all the reconciliation rules that limit what they can or can't do - they are working within the very confined structure of Obamacare. If they had more freedom to build a completely different law without those limitations, they might be able to get to 50? Doubtful, but possible, I guess.