1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-2017 Next Rockets Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFresh, Mar 20, 2016.

1. DFresh

DFresh Member

I would like Mario Elie to get a shot. I think he can be both a player's coach and very strict when it comes to defense & effort. I don't know about his X's & O's but he's been an assistant under some pretty good NBA head coaches.

I'm just afraid someone like Thibodeau would grind his players into the ground during the season, leaving them with no energy for the post-season. Maybe I'm wrong but this team needs a leader, and I don't think Harden has the personality to do it.

Always been a Monty Williams fan too.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Mario Elie has a hard time keeping a job as a 4th assistant in the NBA. I get that he's a former Rocket and everything, but there is nothing to indicate he would be a good head coach. If we are going to hire a former Rocket player, then I think Sam Cassell has a better shot of getting hired. However, I really don't care who the coach is. I just want players that have enough self respect to give an honest effort game after game. You can have the best coach in the world, but if you give him a bunch of lazy ass players, then the team is doomed for failure.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sounds like Kevin McHale. He's actually already been successful as a head coach, so not sure how Elie would be a better option.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You go with Luke Walton or JVG in my opinion.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

talk Battier into the job

6. Mr. Motiejunas

Clyde Drexler.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

someone with a real system and knows defense

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

someone that will hold players ACCOUNTABLE and bench 'em if their not doin their job - ALL of their job.... as opposed to dancing with them at parties....

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

thibbbbbsssyyy

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Brewer says JBB.

11. Moahst

Moahst Member

How about David Blatt instead of some first time head coach experiment? It'd be a hard sell, but he's got to be at least ten times as good as Mario Elie would be.

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If it's not JVG or Thibs, I'd prefer a guy like Ollie. How much experience on a very good coaching staff does Elie even have? Houston fans would love the hire during the Offseason, but likely grow to hate it.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't see how we could get anyone worse than what we have.....but we found a way to get someone worse than McHale, so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that they can get even worse when it comes to coaching.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Calvin Murphy . Hire some young blood college assistants and maybe a veteran defensive guy for his staff. Or maybe JVG and put Calvin in an assistant role.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Just to clarify, your opinion is that the best course of action is either a guy who hasn't coached in 9 years, or a guy whose only NBA experience is as an assistant for less than 2 years?

Have you thought about submitting your resume to Leslie for an advisory position?

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

MOREY. Best case scenario. Bring your smart ass here boy. Let's see how easy it is to control a bunch of 20 year entitled millionaires. Coach doesn't matter anyways

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Thibs or Battier

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice idea, and I like Blatt, but . . . I just don't see James Harden responding very well in this scenario. It would be like LeBron all over again . . . .

19. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Battier would be intriguing

20. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Calvin Murphy.