1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Ty Lawson, are we now the best team in Texas again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 24, 2015.

?

With Ty Lawson, are we now the best team in Texas again?

1. Yes, Ty Lawson finna run circles around Tony "Over The Hill" Parker.

67.2%
  2. No, we will drown in the River Walk.

32.8%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

N o p e

2. bmd

bmd Member

Aldridge is a better player than Lawson is.

However, I think the addition of Lawson is EXACTLY what the Rockets needed. Because they filled the missing piece, I think it's all going to come together and the team as a whole will improve a lot.

It's not just about Lawson. Now the sum is greater than the parts.

So although Aldridge is a better player, I think Lawson elevates the Rockets more than Aldridge elevates the Spurs.

1 person likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree. Losing Beverley hurt the rockets in the playoffs and dragged harden through the mud. Now you ad him and Lawson. Good luck nba

4. bongman

bongman Member

You maybe right but I'm not sure. LA filled the PF position that they need upgrading. Tiago becoming LA is like PB being replaced by Chris Paul.

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Seriously? So you're going to negate my entire post because I have one player out of place on the Spurs starting 5 based on last year's roster? And yet I addressed the problem by saying it doesn't matter who the Spurs start at the 2, that Harden >> than anyone they put there?

The truth of the matter is that adding LMA to the SA roster changes everything for them, including their starting 5. That means they can play around with a position that last season featured a borderline starter. Green was only starting because they decided to focus on defense from that spot rather than offense. But IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO THEY PUT THERE AS HARDEN IS DEGREES OF MAGNITUDE BETTER THAN ANYONE THEY PUT THERE.

So no, I stand by my post.

And next time you want to make a point, please be more specific. I can only address the words you use. And the words you used were:

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I know everyone is all over the Spurs and honestly they deserve it, Spurs easily have the best 5 man line up in the NBA in short stints with Parker/Manu/Kawhi/LMA/TD.

However, like what another posted said the Lawson pretty much put the Rox over the top, last season the only time I remember the Rox getting their ass whupped was if everyone started firing blanks, D was able to home in on Harden and then their guard exploded offensively for XXX points, for example GSW was able to go 4-1 because their defenders locked everyone up and then Klay Thompson or Curry (or both) hung 30 pts on the squad.

Having both Bev and Lawson helps a lot because the Rox can now use Lawson as the playmaker when the D focuses on Harden and then use Bev to lock up the opposing guard, I can even see a small ball lineup composed of Lawson/Bev/Harden/Ariza or Brewer/Harrell and just blitz opponents. Obv LMA is a better player but in terms of filling needs I think the Rox pretty much closed off their only weakness health notwithstanding.

Anyway, we'll need to see how the season goes on but honestly the Spurs showed signs of aging last year, they generally pick up around the Rodeo trip but last year they couldn't get into the groove until the last two months of the year. Adding West and LMA helps them a lot but I really think their big 3 (TD, Gino, Parker) are gonna start fading next year.

7. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

That's a fair point. But McHale is improving as a coach every year. And last year Pops made some pretty stupid coaching decisions that caused SA to lose the 2nd seed.

I still go with Houston as the top team in Texas. I say that, but I have tons of respect for the Spurs. It'll be a tough battle.

The entertaining thing here is that no one is arguing that Dallas belongs in the same conversation. :)

8. baubo

baubo Member

Last year going into the playoffs, Pop >>>> Rivers >>>> McHale.

9. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

i don't even get why lma is a good fit for San Antonio other than he is a really good player. Duncan is the best ever at playing that pf role and now he will have to give that up and bang against guys like Dwight. good luck with that.

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

Best case scenario we realistically could be the best team in the league.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Hmm...I like the enthusiasm.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Last time I checked, Spurs still got Aldrigde, Duncan, West and Parker.

GSW was still the defending champs.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And the roster now is quite a bit better than the one that made it to the WCF. So there's that.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Similar to crash5179's comment above,

Last time I checked, Spurs lost in the first round, and we went to the third round. And we got better. They have some chasing down to do.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Average age: 34

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Duncan can outplay Howard, and LMA will bust up on Dmo or Jones. SA will beat us hard with their front line. Leonard will give Ariza fits.

Our backcourt is superior but Danny Green is a big dude on the perimeter.

I think SA will be a tough out. It's hard to know which team is better, but it could very well be SA.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I always see people point this out as if it is supposed to be impressive, but talking about the Spurs adding David West is sort of like talking up the Rockets adding Marcus Thornton

18. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

And every year where they did not have homecourt advantage. Key is to win the division. The Spurs are a year older and even though they added Aldridge they will be undersized at center against Howard/ Capela. A weaker bench means they will have to play Duncan/Parker more minutes during the regular season which adds to the chance of Injury. Having said all that only time will tell...I have a feeling Rockets are good enough to hold their own.

19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

While you make some good points, I think if Howard is 100% healthy (IF), even as smart as Duncan is, he CAN NOT out play Howard as a center. And while LMA ate us alive 2 years ago, even though DMo and TJones still need to give us more defensively, they are much better and more seasoned than at that time..in order to limit the damage.

But still the bolded part applies, although the homer in me says we are the better team.

20. Naismith

Naismith Member

Oh I hope this is true