1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3-19-2015] Terrence Jones Injury Updates (UPDATE: Partially collapsed lung)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SK34, Mar 19, 2015.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

smh, yep so sad to think this is wide open and we will be relying on this trio of point gaurds

2. hakeemthagreat

Our backup center position is more of a concern

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not true. I had this happen to me back in 2011 and this occurred while I was doing pull ups.

The key is to find where the hole/leak is in the lung. I'm not a doctor but he could be out for 3-6 weeks. I know the recovery time for me was 3 to 6 weeks.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

DMo will have to step up in his absence especially with rebounding.

We need Dwight ASAP now.

5. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Hmm, possible blessing in disguise. We all know Terrence Jones is a legit borderline all star who has proven he can comeback from way worse injuries than this very strong. This will give Terrence jones ready to recover, fresh to go for the playoffs. Gives Dmo a chance to finally man up once in for all, and just in time for when it counts. Dwight comes back with a fresh Terrance jones, a seasoned Dmo, a steadily improving josh smith. Hmm, maybe I'm just trying to thing positive here, but I AM thinking timing is everything, and this time there is plenty. Swagchamps! 2015!

6. prs325

prs325 Member

Papa Nik time!!!

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He was playing well. It will probably take a week of court time to back in the shape he was before he went down.

Hope he does not stay out for too long.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wrong year. Landry was shot in 2009.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

No way to tell really, even on a CT scan. Even if the rib fracture was non-displaced, it could have displaced temporarily during the acute injury to puncture or shear the lining of the lung. Or it could have just been blunt force as with Jones. The biggest difference there is not so much the method of injury to the lung but the fact that you also have to account for the rib fracture in clearing a player for contact.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Take Andrew Bogut for instance. He didn't have a pneumothorax but had a significant rib fracture that kept him out for six weeks. In trauma cases, the severity of the pneumothorax and the prognosis is associated with the type of injury, so if Bogut had gotten a pneumothorax related to a more severe rib injury, he would have likely had a slower resolution to the pneumothorax. But the limiting factor in those cases is usually the rib injury itself.

11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

You're pretty much right on the money. He probably will have a chest tube placed to remove the air to allow the air to drain depending on the size of the pneumothorax. The pneumothorax is usually treated within 3-4 days and the chest tube is removed once you stop seeing air bubbles in the the container system the tube drains into. After that, I expect theyll watch him, get another chest x-ray and ease him back in because his pulmonary capacity will be weak. The lung injury will keep him out 1.5 weeks.

The rib injury is the rate limiting step. He can obviously play but itll be very painful as he takes deep breathes to get his oxygen. I bet he's out a minimum of 2 weeks.... max of 4. With that said, I haven't seen his films and don't know how he is doing but it is a good sign he is sitting up.

Source: graduating from med school this may

2 people like this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Strong work! PGY-8 and counting here ;)

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If it is taking 3-4 days to get out the chest tube, you are doing something wrong... using the wrong caliber tube, bad suction, or something. Or there is something continually allowing air to re-enter into the space

Technically, since they have said rib injury, so it not definitive that there is a fracture, though way most likely. Blunt trauma can cause pneumos and result in bone bruises and intercostal muscle strains without fracture. Treatment is effectively the same though; they just typically heal faster.

If anything, though if I was T-Jones/Rockets, I wouldn't release if fracture occurred at all (like what they are doing). You never know if some players would target that area if they could supposed he tried to play a bit sooner rather than later.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yeah, blunt trauma pneumo usually doesn't require suction if the degree of collapse is around 30% or less, and should just require a day of water seal before it can be pulled out. If they are really cautious maybe they give him an extra day, but I don't think his pneumo is that serious. The people that tend to fail water seal after a day or so are ones that have severe trauma or pre-existing lung conditions.The media hypes it up - collapsed lung sounds a lot worse than it really is in this situation. The rib injury sounds pretty minor, but you're right - it's hard to diagnose bruises on chest X-rays, and muscle pathology is really only visible on MRI (which I doubt they did).

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jones didn't have a chest tube (pig-tail or otherwise) in the video Dwight posted.

Its a minor pneumothorax that will likely resolve spontaneously. If he showed signs of respiratory distress, or it was larger, they would have already had put the tube in on the night of admission.

16. acjeitherocket

dam....hope he heals up soon

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Appreciate the support from everyone, it means a lot! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBN?src=hash">#BBN</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pursuit?src=hash">#Pursuit</a></p>&mdash; Terrence Jones (@TerrenceJones1) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerrenceJones1/status/579068469833912321">March 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Aahhhh, good to know that....you being a doctor, knew this before anyone else! That is the reason you were making witty jokes at his expense, RIGHT? I'm the only one who thought it was inappropriate, so obviously <strike>there are a lot</strike> most of the people found it humorous, so continue doing your schtick and I'll go and hide under a rock with the rest of the malcontents.

I'm glad that it was only a partially collapsed lung, hopefully, there won't be any complications and he will make a quick recovery! Wishing you a Godspeed recovery Mr. TJones...:eek:

Go Rockets!!!

19. Sanity2disChaos

I hope so. He has a chance.

20. Sanity2disChaos

Carls' Joke ,not funny on any level . crickets everywhere.And I have a great sense of humor.