1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else shocked at how bad Ariza has gotten?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bro2044, Jan 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I believe Cassip could at least have 1 good shooting game in 10 games.
    But Ariza, it's just too bad.... You know that.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I expect him to be able to be a competent offensive player too...Beverley can do both, why should we lower expecations for Ariza.

Love him on D, hate him on O.

Oh, and ignored the weak personal crap.

DD

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler says hi.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i say this everywhere. the only way his shooting can improve is if he sto splaying 40+ minutes a game. that should be happening now with the addition smith and brewer assumign kostas will be in the rotation. but kostas barely came off the bench 3 games ago. both brewr and kostas need minutes so harden and ariza can get the rest they need. ariza is basically averaging 40mpg since mid november

the last 3 games his minutes are at 22, 23 and 34, kostas avg about 15mpg in those games. if that continues then ariza's shooting should gradually improve, but no where near last season in washington

but yeah, he's missed countless wide open shots even in the first half. there's no excuse for that. there's been games where he's actually shooting above 40% then in the 4th quarter it goes down to 30-35 cuz his legs are gone.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

[​IMG]

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^ guess pippendagimp didn't watch the last game

hyperbole much?

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

my new year wish - trade ariza for korver

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I don't how people keep saying his threes are wide open, I've seen him taking pretty bad shots early in the shot clock (on the break) and with hands in his face. He made them earlier in the season but the confidence is gone a bit. Indeed it seems he just throws them up there, with not much follow through. He's been awesome on defense so I forgive him, he will get it back!

9. CrashTheBoards

Ariza needs to rest and take a few games off to get his legs fresh. He is our oldest starter. He has started all season and he is averaging 37.1 mpg. His minutes finally came down thanks to the Brewer trade, but all of the injuries and inconsistencies from the bench early on caused McHale to overplay him. He has also locked into a bad form because he is using less knees on his jumper. That is why he should take a few days off.

His knees are not what they used to be so he should look to strengthen his hamstrings, quads and calf muscles. Doing standing squats and wall sits would help tremendously. You saw how good he was early on in the season when he got his knees/legs involved in his shot. Once anyone's legs get tired/sore the first thing to go is their shot.

Max contract says hi.

Full breakdown -- Parsons vs. Ariza

Driving to rim: Parsons
    Ball handling: Parsons
    Defense: Ariza
    3pt: Parsons
    Steals: Ariza
    Rebounds: Ariza, barely
    Finishing and dunking: Parsons
    IQ: Parsons
    Contract: Ariza
    Running on the break: Parsons
    Playing off-ball: Parsons
    Mid-range: Parsons
    Leadership and experience: Ariza

Now here is the thing, Parsons is getting paid double. And everyone would much rather have Butler over Parsons yet they will both get paid the same. That is why you take over Ariza and you pass on Parsons. You only lock Parsons to the max if it means you will be a surefire contender and we were not even with Asik and Lin who both would have been gone. So if we landed Bosh then and only then do you forego cap flexibility and re-sign Parsons.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

funny, that was the only time i caught him make a conversion on the break in weeks…..and the whole time downcourt i was cringing :grin:

11. CrashTheBoards

I like what Bull says about open threes. You have to see them go in before you shoot. I envision myself taking the shot from a certain spot before I shoot it at that spot.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

saw it, just forgot about that play…..maybe you guys can post the one from the first half where he passed it to dmo 3sec too late ;)

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Look on the bright side. Ariza is better than Shandon Anderson. :)

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he's a good, consistent player. his shooting however is extremely streaky. he's either on fire or ice cold. so no, i'm not shocked whether he's shooting awful or great

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

on defense he's definitely stellar. on offense though, i've been really disappointed. his post entry passes are cringeworthy as well :X

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

His defense is still stellar so I can't be too hard on the guy.

But something is wrong. Of course, expecting him to make 60% of his threes while shooting 8+ attempts per game was never going to be sustainable, but he has been in a downright funk for a month and a half.

I still think a lot of it has to do with him playing so many minutes. For this whole career, he has been at around 33-35mpg and now it has jumped to 38-41 minutes.

That extra 5 minutes might not seem to be a lot more but playing in a fast paced team who's defensive philosophy is to be aggressive all the time and having to guard the best perimeter player every night can really take a toll. Hopefully with Papa getting more minutes at SF, will help alleviate his minutes.

Also, I think he is taking bad or forced three point shots at times too. That certainly won't help shooting percentages.

Honestly, this team seems to have that problem. We quickly fall in love with the three point shot. Earlier in the season, we would take a lot of three point shots but they were good shots. They came off of ball movement, player movement, drive and kicks, in the fast break, out of the post, players making the extra pass, etc. In the past couple of weeks, we rarely get that kind of action to set up a three point shot. If it isn't Harden drive and kicking for threes, it's mostly the team passing the ball on the perimeter without any sort of direction or player movement and hoisting the first available three. The only player that has the "green light" to take three points shots out of the rhythm of the offense should be Harden. That's it.

Bottom line; I really hope the shooting Ariza has provided lately isn't the "real thing". Hopefully, once the bench rotation is settled and his minutes are lessened, he can start shooting better. I would be happy if he could shooting ~38% from three. Overalls, this team needs to stop taking bad threes and get back to working the ball around for good ones.

17. archinkent

archinkent Member

Lol. Probably the slowest dude on the court, but first to the basket.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like we need to do better at getting Ariza involved early to get his offensive rhythm. The same goes with all our role players. That's something I felt we did better at last year. This team seems to be so focused on defense that we've forgotten how to play on both ends of the floor. We've forgotten how to make everyone effective and involved. Granted it was much easier to do with a player like Parson on the wing along side Harden. But this is where our star players and coaches need to understand what needs to get done in order to win. We can not just pass the ball out to Ariza and expect him to just be consistently ready to hit a 3 ball. It is considered a low percentage shot aka harder shot to hit, but getting him involved early with easy buckets will alow him to be more in the rhythm and probably will help warm him up to hit the three's. Until this team realizes that Ariza's numbers will continue to decline.

19. subzor

subzor Member

i think most of us here is comparing parsons to ariza, which is unfair because its night and day

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

I love this guy!
    His defense is so good he actually plays for 3 players on D.
    The smartest defensive player i've seen in this leauge.
    As for 3's- the problem is there is no system. It all comes up to put him in his position.
    For example, he shoots 37% from the left corner but still made 20 shots more from the right side corner where he is avaraging 29%.
    Just put him on a position to make the most out of him.
    Ariza (like Howard) is a player that needs a structure in offense, he does not thrive in chaos like Harden and Brewer.
    I would love to see more structure in our offense but somehow doubt if it'll happen under McHale