1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CSN

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Great, but I rather have most of Houston watching the games on their TV's and not laptops.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/blakeglover777">@blakeglover777</a> Hard to say. Comcast will fight back on Oct. 2, and if they win on certain points, AT&amp;T/DTV could delay or back out of deal.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/507917687469522944">September 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

for real

I would rather get to see extra programming, but if losing those is what it takes for me to not have to watch online, I'm all for it.

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

What I'm not understanding is. Clearly Comcast is going no where in Houston. Try are trying hard to get everyone to switch over, but it ain't happening. No one wants Comcast (Only that little hand few who does). So, why keep fighting back so much? Just to get some of the money back from the 100M loan? I just really hope Comcast just dies out of Houston. I'm tired of hearing their name come up.

5. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

They^*. Give me a edit button pls.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Root Sports, in my experience, is not a bare bones channel. I watched Root Sports NW for a few years, and they had very good programming. I still watch their broadcasts of Mariner games. The game broadcasts are quite good.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It wouldn't surprise me if their initial offering in Houston were more limited...but I doubt seriously they keep it that way over hte long term

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Here's what they are showing today:
    Not sure how many people in Seattle are CUSA fans. Maybe Big 12 draws a little more.

Here's what they are showing this Monday:

Four hours of paid programming in the morning is a waste, imo. (Yes, it generates money for them.) CSN Houston at least re-runs their late night newscast. My point is much of what they do is not locally produced. I'll miss the CSN nightly sportscasts. It blows away the 2 minute sportscast from local stations. News departments spend a lot of money and I'm sure that's the main reason they will drop it. CSN's throughout the country know the importance of it. (Portland not included of course).

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW there is no NBA or NHL team in Seattle, and they don't really have rights to the Seahawks. There is only so many stories you can do on a baseball team.

A Houston network also has the Rockets, which would give year round activity so local coverage might be worth it. Not to mention A&M (SEC) UT (big 12) and the Dynamo. There are a lot of sports of consequence.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm not sure what they can do with A&M and UT. CSN has deals with Rice and UH already. No idea if the contracts like that will carry over. I agree, there is more than enough in this town to justify a sports network. I would just like to see them cover a variety of things, but it seems like they are locked in to mainly Astros, Rockets and Dynamo. FoxSW has a tie in with the the Texans right now. No idea how long that contract lasts. It just seems from what I've seen Root doesn't like to do a lot of local programming other than the games of the teams they are partnered with. I don't think they have the man power to do a lot of local programming. It'll be interesting to see which CSN talent and staff remain with Root.

I wonder if the Dwight Howard show is coming back?

12. Refman

The Mariners and Seahawks All Access series are very good. A weekly wrap up/preview show with details of what is going on with the team.

No...there isn't a nightly news program...but as somebody else mentioned, there is only so much they can do with a baseball team and a soccer team. The lack of an NBA team really hurts.

Also keep in mind that Root NW is majority owned by the Mariners...so they have a big say in the programming.

13. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Is there a chance that Comcast stills buys the whole thing out?

14. Refman

I think they would have to show the judge a path to profitability for him to sign off on it. That would require Comcast to have a clear plan to expanding coverage.

15. Nero

Nero Member

A ... *chance*.. perhaps.

However, I would put the odds at like 3% that it ever actually HAPPENS.

That said, do not be surprised in the least if Comcast tries to claim they have a plan, but need 'six months to get all the information together' and then another few more months of hearings and court dates, etc etc.

All in the hopes that AT&T/DTV drop out and they can still steal the network on the cheap.

They can afford to wait this out, and it has already been demonstrated that the FANS are of no consequence.

I am not hopeful at ALL that this will be resolved in time to have the Rockets on more TVs by the start of the season.

My HOPE is that the Judge takes a look at everything, tells them all to vote on it, and then a final decision comes from all of that.

All those a-holes can sue each other until they are raw, after the fact, I don't care.

As long as the games are on TV.

And if not?

Ballstreams, baby! It was a cheap enough service, and reasonably good enough, that I would seriously consider having it, even if/when the games DO get on UVerse. Every single game of the season, ON-DEMAND, any time?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>DirecTV getting early start on its planned takeover of CSN Houston, posting job search for GM of Root Sport Houston. <a href="http://t.co/ma4u39AlnK">http://t.co/ma4u39AlnK</a></p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/510488004968730624">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>DirecTV apparently wants a GM in place before the Oct. 2 bankruptcy hearing that will decide whether it and A&amp;T take over CSN Houston.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/510488219897430016">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

2 people like this.
  17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Looks like they're confident that things will go their way. That's good news.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date!! :cool: I really hope this all works out in time for basketball season.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Best news so far.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

so does anyone know if there is a chance comcast wont carry rockets games anymore if DirectTV and AT&T takeover? or will all 3 carry it if the deal goes through?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.