1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Eternity and the Concept of Infinity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Aug 29, 2014.

1. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Our minds have evolved to grasp concepts that are commonplace in the natural (biological) world. Things like contemplating moving at the speed of light, the size and the age of the Universe, the size of atoms... have all, of course, not been relevant until very recently.

I also find this interesting. But I think it's a more reasonable attitude. My guess is that infinity in time sounds like a good idea when you compare it to 30-40 years because the brain automatically translates this to "much longer than 30-40 years", i.e., a time frame it can still just about grasp. When you try and struggle to go further, the concept becomes more haunting.

This looks to me like a lot of words without any substance.

Nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

Who knows? There is no reason to think that it does and all evidence so far points to consciousness arising from brain activity. Does your brain remain "forever"?

Don't understand what you mean by this. The sum of the kinetic and potential energy of our constituent atoms? Sure. So?

As I said, there is every reason to believe that consciousness arises as part of brain activity. What you're saying sounds somewhat like the "water has memory" bull**** parroted by the charlatans known as homeopaths. Do you remember when different parts of you, as Invisible Fan points out, where parts of different stars? A million what if's can be thrown around, yes, but it is not a form of inquiry, if they remain unexplored.

This sounds profound (want to discourage scrutiny? Say it's beyond comprehension) but it's either a baseless claim about the existence of some sort of all-encompassing global consciousness or all it's really saying that we are part of the Universe.

Maybe you can elaborate? Sounds like Deepak Chopra-level insight (in which case -- don't). But maybe I'm too dumb to understand.

There is no "we" to associate with in this context.

If there was a different sperm, there would be a different individual who could also marvel about the tiny odds of that particular sperm reaching that particular egg. "You" wouldn't care.

Might as well contemplate Googolplex.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no such thing as eternity. And there is no such thing as infinity as in reality, there are limits. They are both mathematical abstractions.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That fits with the premise. Asimov's short fiction "The Last Question" is about what happens when the last bit of mass and entropy dissolves away into entropy. It's a good ten - fifteen minute read.

Just as you have a defined set of conditioning of what life is, the universe has one as well, just at a much higher scale.

As you begin to ponder and think about that sheer amount of scale of our galaxy, the galaxies of galaxies it belongs to, the cluster those belong to, and the cluster of clusters those belong to, and so on, you begin to feel really small. Religious concepts like a heaven or hell fit into a backdoor that evades or placates that dilemma between scale and meaning.

To which I think some people should consider looking it at that feeling a different way or direction.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked my uber driver the key to happiness in life. <a href="http://t.co/knvnCiVVzN">http://t.co/knvnCiVVzN</a></p>&mdash; Arian Foster (@ArianFoster) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArianFoster/statuses/505730192447262720">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You will live for all eternity!

(Well, at least it will look that way to you. When you stop perceiving it will cease to be.... to you)

#25 Dubious, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Not sure why you would think that.

7. rudan

rudan Member

I'd rather think we all live the same life infinity Times. Each time with slightly different outcomes. This has to be it because I randomly feel deja fu every now and then. it could be because I've done that exact same thing in billions of other lifetimes. It's like when you see someone for the first time and you feel like you you already know them..........

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Time is not infinite. It had a beginning. And from what we can tell...it should have an end.

So eternity goes out the window. Infinity suffers from the same issues. Space itself is an entity. It doesn't extend out forever. The universe isn't likely to be infinitely big in other words.

9. Dubious

Time and Space appear to have a beginning, from the human perspective with the tools and knowledge we have right now. But we know we are limited in our perception. We think subatomic particles (or their string constituents) are the smallest building blocks of reality but that's but that's just as small as our tools let us see. We know there are stars in the universe that we have never seen because their light hasn't reached us yet. So why would anyone say definitively that there is an existence beyond either of these? I always imagine that if you could pull back enough into the nothingness, you would see as many of our universes as we see stars in our own; of course you wouldn't actually see them because the light won't ever reach you.

Man is always ethnocentric, thinking we are the center of everything until we reach the next layer of knowledge and learn we are not.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I'm not sure. In my faith, as I interpret it, eternity doesn't freak you out because you'll lose the concept of time. If your current existence is of one several million cycles of life and death, does that terrorize you? It shouldn't if you don't remember your past lives.

With eternity in paradise, you won't have 'heaven-weariness' after 2 billion years. Allegedly, the afterlife is a magnificent garden (of Eden) with rivers. I'm uncertain if that literally means a garden and river or if it's a metaphor for something else. If literal, Switzerland would look like heaven to a desert-born religion. Through my window, I see my hedge maze, flora and fauna everywhere, and the bayou lazily flowing in the background. I might be in a partial-heaven already. With each passing life cycle, maybe Earth or another planet will become verdant and lush, and eventually it'll become Eden.

Or, maybe 'gardens/rivers' was a metaphor so that's endless speculation. Anyway, eternity shouldn't be bad if you forget what time is.

11. Dubious

Ignorance is bliss
    Oblivion is heaven

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Actually we don't know if "time" (what do you define as time?) had a beginning or not. It is a commonly accepted fact that our universe had a beginning. Which I agree with. There's also the concept of the eventual heat death of the universe. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. These are ideas in physics. Great.

Now from a purely metaphysical standpoint, the fact that our universe and reality exists already indicates that "existence" is possible. Because the universe "begins" and "ends" (which are loose definitions in themselves) does not necessarily preclude the possibility of that same process recurring. Hence the concept of infinity which makes sense.

As for the second paragraph...

wut

"Space is an entity" - I have a feeling of what you're trying to convey, but pretty sure what you just said is not accurate. There's just a lot of problems with what you're saying overall. There's a few different models of the shape of the universe in physics. And even in those that premise it is "finite" have some specifications in which the universe could be infinite.

Furthermore, even if the universe is finite, there still exist infinitely many points within that finite set of space. Then you start coming across things like Zeno's paradox, etc...

But anyway, I digress.

To say with such certainty that there is no such thing as "infinity" or "eternity" is naive at best.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You just babble. Endlessly. Infinitely.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We still know so little about our world that, any absolute statement of infinity (or time, or space, or universe, or mind, or awareness, ...) is premature.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Buddhism seems to imply there is some way out of an endless cycle. Why would that be the case? I think amor fati is a bit more appealing.

#36 DudeWah, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think all of Buddhism is claiming a way out. Some sects do diverge into the supernatural. The Chinese Mahayana variety has a whole pantheon of gods which has been incorporated into the culture over several hundreds of years.

Theravada Buddhism, the variety most practiced in South Asia, can be considered more philosophical, with underpinnings of accepting your own fate and condition, and how to get beyond your material chains.

It's not really a way out of the cycle as that sect is less about a supernatural afterlife, but rather a series of training to accept and embrace the cycle and paradox of life. Everything that has happened will happen again and again. Everyone is a part of it. Everyone has suffered because of it. Everyone is still connected.

A lot of that is accomplished by switching into a different mode of mind. The Western frame of thought is preoccupied with critical thinking, figuring out the root causes and forming a plan or source of action to solve a problem. It's a "doing mode". But we have a second state of mind called the "being mode" that stimulates awareness and mindfulness of your surroundings. This being mode is usually strengthened with meditation, which has shown many empirical benefits for mental and physical health.

It's not that the "being mode" is better than the "doing mode", they're just different ways of knowing something, much like there are different ways of knowing and understanding the universe without one way being more true than the other.

The West is slowly catching up to understanding how both modes can affect how we perceive our lives and the meaningfulness our actions give us.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I enjoyed this post, especially your 3rd paragraph.

I remember in the past reading about "absurdism" and learning to embrace the "absurd" as a philosophical idea. I think a lot of these ideas (such as the sect of Buddhism you described and amor fati) have some overlapping themes that appeal to me in a logical way.

Thanks for the insight.

1 person likes this.
  19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This is what I think too. Eternity freaks me out as well and I one time started breathing hard and shaking my head at my Catholic junior high when we were discussing it. I had just lost somebody and the thought of going on forever was the scariest thing ever.

I think we all repeat our lives in some ways. I have deja vu where I just shook my head, stopped what I was doing and started thinking about where this had happened before. The older I get, the more I believe in some form of reincarnation.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If eternal return (rebirth) is the case, then is it the case that you will live every possible instances of life given no limit on time. You have been or will be king, queen, aborted fetuses, Hitler, actress with hacked account, tormented soul, a buddha, a prophet.... but you won't remember any of it. Or that's not how the law of the universe work (every possible outcome happens) and you do carry something forward each time and your way of life is not just by chance...