1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

They actually do... they have it in Chips, cakes, bread, pastas,mooncakes,jelly, jell O, candies, pies, drinks.

the picture you posted is where I currently live hehe...

2. wendzall

wendzall Member

it's seems a little contradictory that for someone noted for his strategic prowess and intelligence, morey would drop the ball on something so simple as insuring bosh's commitment before trading lin. personally, and as crazy as it will sound to the faithful, i think morey used the situation to make an unpopular decision that under the cover of the bosh trade, was going to be made no matter what. viewed this way we should consider who benefited from the lin trade and who would've been upset and needed to be convinced that it was just a understandable miscalculation.

3. calcium

calcium Member

How is this any different from blue cheese?

It's almost as foul as fermented bean curd.

I once worked in Hong Kong many years ago and thought a certain
    corner smelt of raw sewerage, but not always.

Turns out it was only when the hawker was there, selling
    fermented tofu.

Apparently nice, but I'm not going to be finding out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Miami's decision to offer the aging and regressing bosh the 5 year full max as the best player on their team without Lebron was void of any strategy and intellect

5. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

The decision is not as unpopular as you think. Even if the cleared cap space was not used on Bosh it can still be used. Les benefited...he doesn't have to pay his 2nd string PG $15M this season.

6. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

We were (mis)led to believe multiple deals were in place for Lin at the time and maybe it was all fluff by the PR machine. Interesting take Wendzall.....

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A fact repeatedly ignored by some.

8. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Yes they do. Yesterday I saw durian chips at Hong Kong market.

9. Jim Stinehart

Jim Stinehart Member

Did Les come out ahead financially from the Lin trade? Presumably all the Taiwan sponsors that Lin brought in the last two years will promptly desert the Rockets. Les probably made more money from those Asian connections of Lin than the amount of Lin's 3rd year salary. Giving away Lin to the Lakers didn't help Les financially at all. No, that trade was done so that Morey could gain cap space.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The Taiwan sponsors was worth 15 million

I doubt it

you don't know how much the Taiwan sponsors Lin actually brought in financially, I would say it's not as much as people think

11. Razsan

Razsan Member

I wish there was a way to measure the financial impact but I agree with this assessment.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have two sets of durian stands.

One stand called the James Harden Farms durian stand.
    One stand called the Jeremy Lin Farms durian stand.

See which one does better and what the customers think smells better.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

so like how thousands of businesses generally unaffected by the gfc used it to justify slashing its workforce? ;)

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

unpopular to who? LOF's?

15. wendzall

wendzall Member

in terms of savings, lets not forget that bosh not joining also resulted in parsons not being matched, while 30 million (lin & asik) was sent out. what came back? as ****ty as this offseason was for the team, it was a windfall for the ownership. it also helps that with harden and dwight, bringing in ariza was just enough to prevent dissent among the fans. also the rockets will still sellout as they would've if bosh and parsons were on the team. how convenient in terms of payroll they get to wait until the new tv deals before bringing in a big name in 2015/2016.
    if you have a negative mistrust like me you can see that this offseason worked out perfectly in terms of profit. in fact if you're going to be real pessimistic and dark you can say the real success of morey has been what he has accomplished profit wise for the owner while still maintaining team relevance.

all this crazy conspiracy doubt can be easily dismissed by a pricey acquisition of a star player... but wait who's left this season? bledsoe? a trade from rondo? love's gone. durant...2016???

the whole trying to leave flexibility for the third star makes sense if there is an actual third star available. of course we can just see the miss on bosh as bad luck, and miami's desperation. love, who could've guessed. but morey, if he is as smart as everyone thinks he is would've had contingencies, and contingencies for contingencies...

... that is unless his most important mandate is not to win a championship, but to maximize longterm profit. in that his tenure has been pretty golden in the ownership's eyes.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was chiding myself for clicking on this thread, but then there are actually some good ideas floating around that aren't just about Lin. I think it's true that real economic motivation played a large role in shipping out the poison pills. I still think Asik will haunt us with the Pels for the next couple of years.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hopefully just one year!

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

So you expect Morey to be all knowing? From all indications Bosh was coming here. He had to make a decision on Lin, if he decided not to trade Lin then we wouldn't have been able to sign Bosh even if he said yes. So from everything he was hearing Miami wasn't giving Bosh the Max and if that wasn't the case he was going to sing here. Then Miami caved and gave him a 5 year max. Oh well, it was a calculated risk that didn't pan out. How much worse would Morey have looked if Bosh had said yes and we wouldn't have been able to sign him because we didn't trade Lin? You guys expect Morey to know the outcome of everything, the world doesn't work that way, you take risks and sometimes they don't pan out.

19. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I for one want my GM taking risks. It's just like investing, you will never make the big bucks without taking risks. We would have been a super team if everything worked out. It didn't, oh well. Sign me up any day of the week for those kinds of risks.

20. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Need link to where Lin brought in these sponsors. The Rockets have had many Asian sponsors already from way before Ln ever came to this team. I see no new advertisements from previous. Les and Yao are very tight and have a close business relationship. Lin I doubt brought any revenues to offset his salary.