1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One factor in favor of matching Parsons: It allows you to trade Trevor Ariza without creating as much of a hole.

Remember, they are all assets.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

WE

ARE

MATCHING

PARSONS

that said I hope we ship his ass out when we can, he's simply not worth the contract.

3. okeezie

okeezie Member

Ok...I've had it. Look everyone...We have to match Parsons. We have his Bird Rights so we can go over the cap to sign him. If we don't sign Parsons we can't sign anybody. It's Parsons or nothing. Get it! Parsons or nothing! The only reason we can sign him is he is our player. The only question in the matter is Les writing the check. It has no impact on our cap or ability to do anything. Dwight and Chandler are opting out in 2 years and Durant will be a FA as well. You can build a super team at that point as we will have Bird rights for Dwight and Chandler and can slot a max player in while resigning them after. It's Les's money! If he wants to spend it let him. Like Pat Riley said "Get a grip".

1 person likes this.
  4. Swedish_Rocket

Is it possible we can still go after Marion? I kinda wanna keep screwing with Cuban and he may be a good pickup.

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Our defense is going to dramatically improve.
    Our rebounding will improve.
    Our 3 point shot will improve.
    Players will hesitate more to double Dwight.

This is a great sign. Ariza can play behind both Harden and Parsons (if we match). Our SG and SF position would be rock solid. Now for a solid back up who can play both the PF and C position.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Trevor will be given the bad news that he takes casspi/garcia`s backup minutes if we match CP.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Ariza can play minutes at SG and Parsons at PF

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What's the cap situation looking like? I guess we will bring in Capela and try to re-sign Daniels.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Cuban has spent over $100 million in luxury tax (I think $150) so Parsons contract is nothing to him and Parsons fits with that team anyway. Les hasn't even spent a million in luxury tax but always says he's willing to.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

The Parsons contract is only for 3 years, and most people think that he will opt out after the second year to get a bigger contract when the salary cap is projected to make a huge jump.

2 or 3 years is too short to go into luxury tax hell. The worse taxes are for repeater taxes.

And even if we did start to get close to that, Ariza at around 8 million/year, especially with the declining salary, should be very easy to move. Parsons at 15/year, with a trade kicker, would be harder to move for us, but still possible if we needed to.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Happy times!

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I shrugged my shoulders when I heard the 'Big' news...

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

sick of people using an easy excuse like that, not all players play well in a contract year and his numbers were similar to the first year he played in Houston and that wasn't a "contract year"

14. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

He is a better defender than parsons and it doesn't appear we lose too much in scoring. I'm ok with it. When you look at the money, it's a better situation overall.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ariza improved a lot last season, maybe it was just because he was the full time starter but he had important games
    http://youtu.be/S3Zy1gaAAmY

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

One funny thing when I went over to the Wizards board trying to see why Ariza got so little money. Because I thought perhaps there has been some stuff us Rockets fans don't know that drove his value down. Anyway, on that front apparently there was nothing. He seems perfectly fine as a teammate and is healthy.

But tons of comments were about how Ariza would not fare well because he no longer has John Wall to open things up for him. Yes, I'm not kidding. They believe Ariza will not succeed as a Rocket because we don't have a player to give him open shots.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Spoken like a longtime Rockets fan

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Zbo was considered a contract year player before

19. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

NBA has changed, set positions don't mean as much anymore.
    Depending on the matchup, I could see us going small with Ariza at the 3 and Parsons at the 4 a majority of the time. Hopefully McHale can develop better rotations than last year.

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Just quote this as a public service announcement every page. Needs to be repeated here until the general public is informed.