1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slam Magazine Profiles Former Rockets Star Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Definitely brick because there's a chance for the offensive rebound.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm... no mention of the Chris Paul incident/war.

1 person likes this.
  3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Imagine Alston under d'antonis offense. I think he had the passing and court vision to be pretty good in his system.

4. ryebread

ryebread Member

Imagine skip with the 02 kings. Better handles than jwill.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You guys are delusional. Apparently you all have selective nostalgia about Skip to my Brick. Judging by the comments in this thread I'm not sure you guys remember how terrible that era was for the Rockets at the PG position.

Rafer shot us out of quite a lot of games. His tear drop made me want to gouge my eyeballs out. The day he was traded for Lowry and Aaron Brooks was given the reigns to the team was one of the happiest days of my Rockets fandom. Easily the worst rotational PG the rockets have had in the last 10 years not named Jeremy Lin.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't remember a Rockets Star named Rafer Alston.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Reefer was turrible.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

One time the Rockets were playing the Kings in 2006 or 2007 and Rafer shot this wide open 3. So Rafer shoots the 3 and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, of the Kings at the time, was in the paint boxing out one of our players. Shareef has his man boxed out and he's ready for the rebound. Well, he's waiting around and the shot comes down. Rafer bricked that wide open 3 so bad that he airballed it and hit Shareef Abdur-Rahim straight on the top of the head.

Probably one of the funnier things I've seen while watching basketball. When that ball hit him in the head Abdur-Rahim had a "wtf just happened" look on his face that was golden.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Next time when someone brings Lin to a thread that has nothing to do with him, don't blame the Lin fans.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Maybe it would save time to just make a list of Rockets Clutchfans does NOT hate.

Parsons
    Troy Daniels
    Shane Battier
    Yao
    JVG

Did I leave anyone out? I'll let you 99er's cover the previous century.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's all you came up with? Here are some more names since our championship days:

- Deke
    - Carl Landry
    - Kyle Lowry
    - Goran Dragic
    - Chuck Hayes
    - Cuttino Mobley
    - Jim Jackson
    - Patrick Beverley
    - Ron Artest
    - Mario Elie
    - Robert Horry
    - Sam Cassell
    - Clyde Drexler
    - Kevin Willis
    - Sam Mack

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Don't forget:

Bob Sura
    Von Wafer
    Aaron Brooks
    Courtney Lee
    Eddie Johnson
    Bostjan Nachbar

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Boojie and AB are debatable, but the rest I can agree on.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

In terms of handles, Rafer was easily one of the best. If you surveyed guys around the league, even they would feel most comfortable with Rafer and a few select PGs handling the ball.

Rafer was not a good shooter, but he was streaky.

What I liked most about him was that he ran the offense, played defense and SHOWED UP to every game.

He knew his role and accepted it, and I don't think he really wanted to shoot as much as he did. It just came in the offense, minus that tear drop.

And yes, at this point, I would take a cold-shooting Rafer over Lin. I wouldn't worry about something as small as getting the ball up the court and into your closer's hand as I do now.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of former Rockets PGs: Remember who else played like Lin did last year-- attacked off the dribble, drew many fouls, doesn't have the best handles, had a high turnover rate, and struggled in a first round playoff series loss?

Bob Sura.

Kind of interesting how Sura is some kind of cult hero while Lin is a scapegoat.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

1. Sura was so much tougher than Lin. Sura was like Beverley in terms of toughness and level of competitiveness.
    2. Sura does not have the same fan base as Lin. There was no one to magnify his every good move and defend till death all his mistakes.

If Lin did not have Linsanity or the Lin crazies, I am sure he would be remembered entirely differently from our current Lin.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tougher as in what? Sura made mean faces more and yelled at refs/teammates/opponents?

He played through injuries? He took contacts driving to the basket? Lin did plenty of these, too.

I find the whole "tough/soft" argument about NBA players in general to be nebulous. Somehow, for example, Chris Bosh gets called "soft" by a bunch of people here even though he constantly matches up against bigger players, plays elite defense and does a ton of dirt work for the Miami team while a nut-grabbing goblin like Reggie Evans gets called "tough."

18. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

This will always be my favorite memory of Skip. Dude was a warrior who would not back down from anyone. I remember him almost getting into a fight with CP3 in New Orleans because he dove on the floor challenging that stupid little roll the ball up trick that he would do.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This about sums it up.

20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I think more like this