1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Following game4 losses; Doc Rivers: "I did a bad job". McHale: "guys didn't follow instructions"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by impressivegol, Apr 28, 2014.

1. sutton

sutton Member

he must have the possession of the ball, and use TWO HAND to call a timeout.

In LIN's situation, it would risk a lose ball or jump ball.

It is Lin's fault, but it is not easy to handle it well.

In retrospect, if it leads to jump ball, Lin won't be blamed so much.

2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Lin was too busy grabbing the white board to listen to coach's instructions.

3. SPBR

SPBR Member

If that was the plan and it had been communicated clearly, then most of the blame should be on Lin instead of McHale.

Ultimately, it's still the coach's job to train the players and to make up for it when they can't make good decisions.

What's frustrating about the repeated mistakes is that there is no sign that they won't be repeated again. At the end of the game, there was the timeout called after a Howard rebound who then passed the ball to Parsons followed by questions about whether the timeout was called soon enough so that the Rox could advance the ball. The same exact thing happened last game with Harden who dribbled before the timeout call was official so we lost a chance at a game winning shot and only put up a Harden half-court heave.

When you see the same mistake 2 games in a row, some of the blame has to be on the coach for not getting the players ready.

If you can't trust your player then don't play him. McHale's shown throughout the year that he's very willing to bench Lin when he makes mistakes. Why change now? How many games did Lin close out this year? Why put him in a situation where he could lose us the game if you don't trust him? If we had a 1 pt lead and 5 seconds left on the clock and we inbounded to Howard, who's to blame if Howard gets fouled and misses the free throws?

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

great man, great person, great player.

but ill be happy when he's gone as coach.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I can't believe LOF can even find excuses for that moron for not being able to call a timeout. What classes did this guy take at Harvard?

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Lin should've never dribbled.. Once he caught the ball, he should have signaled for a timeout. Once dribbling he is trying to get across the halfcourt line and anybody watching seen that was not going to happen.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Lin and McHale should not be here next year. Both aren't good enough at their jobs.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They are both the main problems here.

Pathetic incompetent clueless coach in McHale and a low IQ scrub like player come playoff time in Lin.

Good riddance to both of them soon.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look at the coaches who take the burden on themselves, and look at the ones who put the ownership on the players. Notice a common theme?

The coaches who like to take the blame are often franchise figureheads that have little to no problems with job security. Its unfair to compare what he says vs. what a coach like Doc, Popovich, or Carlisle say because their job situation is much different than McHale's.

10. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

Obviously McHale told his players to put the ball in the basket more than the other team, and they didn't. I feel for McHale.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Repping you for this statement

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Question - couldnt McHale have called the TO himself? Cant coaches call them?

13. conquistador#11

nobody on this team listens to coach. they all want to be heroes. I'm so done with this team that if we lose this next game, I'm not going to watch rockets basketball until at least October. Everybody but Dwight, daniels and asik can get off my lawn!

1 person likes this.
  14. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

By pinning things on one play, it lets other players off the hook (and the coach as well). It also obscures an analysis or discussion of larger issues impacting the series. That's why you don't see guys like Doc or Pop do what McHale did in a moment of frustration. Here are a few things:

- Blazer starters have outscored/outplayed the Rockets in 3 of 4 games.
    - James Harden's efficiency improved in game 4 and he might be due for a breakout, but he continues to be a defensive liability that Stotts has exploited well.
    - Batum is becoming a breakout player in this series for the Blazers. Would the Rockets be better off bringing in a player like Garcia, Casspi or D-Mo to deal with him rather than Daniels (despite his hot shooting, especially if you're not going to run plays to get him open)?
    - Beverley had an off-game in game 4 and has generally been unable to contain Lillard. Should he be playing fewer minutes earlier in the game and be fresher? That might also help Lin get into an offensive rhythm earlier in the game.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't think you'd have much choice...

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've actually never heard any other nba coach put literally 100% ownership on the players over a 3 year coaching career

and jvg, who was on the hot seat himself, never once deflected blame from his coaching errors. he always owned up to them immediately after games. i wasn't a fan of his offensive sets either, but at least the man displayed character and balls while he was here.

george karl also readily took the blame for a lot of playoff losses.

i'm sorry but mchale's behavior after losses just makes him look like a POS

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Bye bye Mchale.

18. munsteur

munsteur Member

1 person likes this.
  19. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

ya it's probably time to bid farewell to mchale - i like the guy overall - just not sure he's the coach who's gonna get this team to dig deep and win a ring.

that said - this rockets team is very talented, but far from complete. credit to portland for a great season.

morey put together a good squad with the rebuild so far - but let's not kid ourselves here, we need a killer PG

besides keeping Howard and Harden, anything is possible next season.

20. GTIMKV

GTIMKV New Member

Rational fans would not blame the "last straw" that "killed the camel". If we don't miss those back-to-back fast breaks, if McHale ran more plays instead of rely on Harden ISO...we could have been up 5 or more instead of 2 before Mo hit that three. What if Lin or McHale did call timeout and we didn't score, and then Portland hit a three with a few seconds left? Yes Lin did make a serious mistake, but he is not the reason why we lost. We did have 5 more mins in OT but failed to beat the other team.

I also don't understand why McHale benched Lin for 6 mins before sub him in during the last min. Why play him at all if you don't trust him with the ball in the last 6 mins of 4th qtr?

I hope the team can regroup and blow out Portland in Game 5.