1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Following game4 losses; Doc Rivers: "I did a bad job". McHale: "guys didn't follow instructions"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by impressivegol, Apr 28, 2014.

1. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

Anyone know specifically what instructions he's referring to?

Was Lin instructed to call timeout if he got a rebound? That would make sense but why not call if if you're mchale and see he's dribbling to sideline right there.
    In fact, why did you even put him in after that timeout for defense anyway?

Was that what he referred to though? Did he ever clarify what "instructions" and who? Either way that's a terrible quote, sounds like someone who knows his coaching career is on the ropes. And a shame as he has rare luxury of having 2 max players. Hey McHale here's an instruction, somehow incorporate a set on offense that involves minimum of 3 passes or requires players to move.

Playing only 8 plyrs at this frenetic pace isn't good either, but whatever. I'm consoling myself knowing diff coach next year.

1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Mchale is gone, why does it matter?

3. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

CP also said something about his terrible defense was to blame.

Had me wondering if harden ever, ever said something similar?

I'm starting to believe poor leadership from head coach is why there's poor leadership from harden.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The instruction he is referring to is this one...

"When we have a plan you just have to stick with it, we said when we get the rebound, we said unless we have a clear break, we're going to take a timeout" -McHale

This was discussed in the timeout preceding the Lin turnover.

Clearly Lin as not paying attention.

I do not like McHale but I am going to defend him on this. No coach is going to be happy after that Lin turnover when he clearly did not follow the instructions coming out of the timeout.

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Lin has the uncanny ability to piss Mchale off to levels that he didn't even think existed. Seriously he is going to have a heart attack watching the kid make some of these high school level mistakes. Lmao

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok , he's spot on in this instance. You would have though Lin learned a thing or two the last time he tried to go for a homerun play and Batum hit that 3 to send it to OT. I just don't understand how someone can keep repeating the same mistakes over and over...

7. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

I wish someone would've shot back "well why did you sub in Lin in the first place?"

1 person likes this.
  8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Would love to have Doc as the coach. McHale seems defensive and scared because he might lose his job.

Why didn't McHale call time out immediate after rebound if he didn't see a fastbreak opportunity? The ref was right next to him? I think Pop or Thibs would have called timeout.

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

This. The head coach's most important job is setting the tone.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The key is he said, "we're going to take a timeout"... Lin was just turning the corner and someone was charging behind him. There was absoutely no chance to call a timeout at that moment without risking a turnover.

Maybe a far superior athlete could have but not jeremy. So the we're he referred to included him. He was best situated to see if there was a fastbreak and call the timeout. He absolutely should have been jumping up and down if he felt it was time to call a timeout. he did no such thing. What he should have said is I should have called a timeout. They were instructed accordingly but when they didn't I should have called timeout.

So while I'm pissed we lost the game and Lin made the boneheaded mistake that lost us the game so I'm pissed at him too. It's not all his fault. And if Lin doesn't get the rebound we would have been screaming too. Either way McHale deserves some of the blame.

11. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

who cares. hes gone next year. can a player call timeout when he is dribbling? or he must stop and hold the ball first? if the latter then it's his fault not calling it.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

mchale can barely walk.. what makes you think he can "jump up & down" to call an urgent timeout?

13. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Execellent statement to bad ppl are to fired up at Lin to realize it.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Mchale jump up and down? you know the guy is basically a cripple right? It'd be nice if he could run out onto the court like a crazy man, but he can't actually do that.

15. Rockness

Rockness Member

Coaches can call time-outs too you know...

16. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

Show some class man.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's time some rip off his falsey and throw it for a touch down....:grin:

18. Nook

Nook Member

Well, prepare to be disappointed because it is far more likely that Lin is playing somewhere else than it is that McHale is fired.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that's possible, but "far more likely" i don't think so…….lin's contract can't be traded (until perhaps next year's trade deadline) and les has yet to pick up mchale's team option

20. MichaelG281713

Lin's definitely at huge fault, but McHale has been very, very atrocious throughout the series.

He was clearly brought in as a name in a down time. Similar to Lin.