1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard > Asik not true in our team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by totti_c, Jan 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Play07

Play07 Member

2. allaroundplayer

So, if Howard can not supply a good post game, Asik is a better center for the Rockets.

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Not true. Howard still affects the game offensively ten fold more than Asik. Even if there was a slight drop off defensively (which I don't buy), Howard is still leaps and bounds better than Asik for this team

4. basketballholic

Just a curious question. Do those possessions count trips to the FT line?

5. Play07

Play07 Member

not sure read the article I replied to you in the dmo/jones rotation thread, im finally warming up to what you were saying about the BIGs

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Howard is a better all around player than asik.

But tonight's a night we had a better chance with asik finishing the game just like he did with our last win in Memphis, when Howard puts up only 11/10 & him & harden aren't running p&r or Howard isn't scoring in the post. a solid center like asik would've helped with

-rebounds "offensive & defensive"
    -lack of foul trouble "so he would've been on floor more"
    -rim protection "not jumping for blocks"
    -better solid picks for our guards "mchale mentioned Howard didn't set a good pick for parsons last play"

7. Deniz

Deniz Member

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/15/4830936/omer-asik-defense-video-breakdown-houston-rockets

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Always said Howard is overrated,he picks so many dumb fouls it is not even funny anymore.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

All this talk about harden, Lin, bev, parsons, but at the end of the day lee had 19points & our $22 mill guy had 11, yes HOWARD I'm looking at you !

10. TheJet

TheJet Member

It's hard to score when you're not being fed the ball. He wasn't getting looks most of the game. I like Asik and we desperately need him off the bench to solidify some post size. But to say he's better for this team than DH? Unreal. No one was doubling Asik or missing shots for fear of a block. Again, love me some Asik, but let's be realistic.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Here we go with Howard wasn't getting fed again, maybe because he was in foul trouble for dumb fouls ? and he has shown that even when he's fed he's not no dream or shaq, you don't know what your going to get down there.

& as far as the double teams, over the summer we dreamed of Howard kicking it out to one shooter then the ball swing around the printer but truth is if he gets it in the post it's a 90% chance he's getting fouled, missing shot, making shot, called for a travel, or getting stripped the other 10% he is kicking the ball out

12. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Marc Gasol made him looked like a fool Last Night,this guy Deserves the Max.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Howard 10/12 some more asik type number just without the 4 turnovers.

14. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

We almost shot more threes as we had team rebounds

32 3P Attempts

38 Team Rebounds

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

One of Howard's worst games is as good as asik's average last year.

16. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

That's the point! We could use the salary difference of the two to acquire another all star at PF position.

17. theangrycanary

I've been looking at stats for an hour, thinking about this.

Dwight is the same as Asik on defense. Far better on offense. Although he is not being utilized that well right now and the offensive chemistry really isn't there.

Dwight is also bait for a third star to come. And I think that is where this whole trade shines. And why it was worth the money.

With Dwight, we can get a third star. Without him... who knows when we get that elite second player. Morey had to pull the trigger and it was worth it.

But I don't think we are going to really see the difference though until we get

- decent backup center and sg
    - Lin, Asik, + whomever else, is traded

Third star shows up.

We are just going to have to suck it up and realize that while it would be awesome if all these problems got resolved this year, we might be stuck watching an incomplete team all year. Morey might be playing his cards to land that third star in the offseason. Honestly, I think the only real worry the Rockets and Morey have at this point is that Dwight is going to go downhill fast, in the next two or three years.

Three years from now, when our young guys have developed, we have three legitimate superstars, the team has had time to gel, and we have someone on the bench who can coach, I think it will be obvious that getting Dwight was a key move.

18. allaroundplayer

@ Grizzlies, the Rockets game plan was steady diet of post-up Dwight & it just killed them & failed miserably, especially because many of the shots by Dwight were so woeful, I'm sure it gave the Grizzlies a big confidence boost they could win the game easily & also because it prevents anybody else from getting going when all you are trying to do is feed him the ball every time.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

We shouldn't expect Howard can return to superman, he is only a good center.
    If we can trade him for a young all star like Love or Harford, I will do it
    I don't believe a team can win a champion around Howard who has too much shortage

20. Deniz

Deniz Member

A frontcourt of Love and Lover(Asik) would obviously be awesome :eek: