1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Omer Asik requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 14, 2013.

Tags:
?

How should the Rockets handle Omer Asik's trade request?

1. Trade him ASAP for whatever they can get.

113 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. Trade him, but wait until the trade deadline to see if something big shakes out

510 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Don't trade him at all

57 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. rocketsmetalspd

Omer looks pi$$ed off. I hope he gets his wish and gets traded but it not be till December 15th. One month to go.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I hope this is the case. I don't want to see this long and drawn out. I have to believe that Morey has a host of offers sitting on his desk from back when Dwight signed to the present. He may not like any of them. Or perhaps he does like one or two of them, but wanted to see if TT worked first. Given its been barely been 72 hours since the new trade demand has arisen, I don't think we can gauge things just yet.

In any case, until the ink hits the paper on a trade, the Rockets will contend that no deal is in progress and no immediate trade demand will be met. Its just the smart strategy I think.

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he's not a good defender

4. dchoye

dchoye Member

Why don't try to get Ken Faried ? He's got motor good PF and available according to the rumors between Knicks and Nuggets wanting deal Shumpert for Faried. The numbers don't match but we can get draft pick or cash

5. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I agree. If I were Morey, I'll even offer draft pick or cash along with Asik to get Manimal. He's got huge potential.

6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Ok so here's my Asik trade proposal.
    Kind of a big pic.
    [​IMG]

Houston: Aldridge
    Houston does this b/c obviously we get Aldridge (however we don't receive a back up center I can live with that in this trade)

Dallas: Asik
    Mavs get a great Center... who can rebound & defend, which will fit well with dirk imo since he's not really great these things.

Blazers: Rudy Gay, Greg Smith
    Now, everyone has to be aboard on this trade and willingly convince the blazers to take on that horrible Gay contract...throw 1rst round picks out the booty and hope and pray there dumb enough to take Gays contract.

Raptors: Shawn Marion, D-Mo
    So Raptors do this b/c they get rid of the terrible Gay contract and can go full tank mode (let Derozan go Rudy Gay mode) and Marion is an expiring contact.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wish Cuban wasn't an idiot. Maybe we could work out something with dirk and dalembert.

8. Lunik II

Lunik II Member

trade Asik for Patrick Patterson and fillers that eventually turn to steals:cool:

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

HECK NO!!!!

People in Dallas want Dirk gone and I don't blame them... Dirk is old and done...

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Even if Cuban was going to trade Dirk, he would never trade him to the Rockets. That would be a guaranteed championship.

Dwight, Dirk, Harden, Lin, Parsons...any of those guys can explode for 25 on you.

Dirk is the prototype when it comes to stretch 4s also. It would be too perfect. It's just too abd he doesn't play for a eastern conference team that is ready to tank

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think dirk on this team would be sick.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

But it's not likely at all for several reasons.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wow I just started drooling imagining Drik at the 4.

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Dirk would be an awesome addition. having a 4 like him and D12 on the court would be amazing. Granted he wouldn't be here for the long run.

15. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He is WAAAAAAYYYYY better than Casspi. That's like asking, "how is Dwight that much better than DeAndre Jordan?". Just because two players have somewhat similar play styles doesn't mean that they are on the same level.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Y! Sources: Houston's engaged with multiple teams on an Omer Asik trade, seeking impact player or lottery pick. <a href="http://t.co/yO7GSDQGFl">http://t.co/yO7GSDQGFl</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/401487201143234560">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

AWWWW sheeiiit!!! Maybe this is going to go down sooner than we thought.

18. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

Besides Ryan Anderson, I like Amir Johnson from the Raptors

19. FacePalmMaster

Spencer Hawes and his 3-pt shot.

20. GMNot

GMNot Member

My 2 cents:

TT still can't be judged fairly. It depends on a willingness AND an eagerness to make it succeed, and tweaking, trial and error, to have a chance to succeed. It takes 2 to Tango in this case. Maybe neither is as dedicated to the TT concept as they should be. Maybe Dwight thought just both being on the court together would magically produce the desired result. No. Takes work and refinement. Howard said he wanted to be able to talk with Asik to get him on board. Did it not happen, or did Asik present a cold shoulder? Or is Howard's communication skills similar to his free throws -- good in his head, but under the stress of face-to-face meetings, needs work.

Asik has bumbled a number of passes and potential rebounds. Until he shows better handles and better offense, he shouldn't complain too loudly.

Developing as a player is at the player's discretion, and under his control. It doesn't depend on being a starter. Howard's points are mostly within a few feet of the basket. If he had a jumper like Hakeem, he would be more dangerous on the offensive end. Ditto Asik. If Asik were to be traded to a team intent on rebuilding, he will regret being a starter that has no chance to compete for a title. And why would a team with a player that might truly upgrade the "team," trade said player if they are at all good. 7-footers are hard to come by, though. Which is why the Rockets should stick to their guns and hope Asik will honor his contract and play to the best of his ability whenever he is asked to step on the court. Period. Unfortunately, once the season starts, practice time is more limited and demonstrating expanded skills isn't as easy. Both he and Howard should have really worked on a mid-range jumper to have when going into camp. (And did anyone catch Barkely's comments last night at half-time, saying he was going to "demonstrate" to Howard how to post up? I didn't stay up to see him demonstrate it, but he said Howard doesn't know how to post up. I don't necessarily agree, but he certainly posted up enough in his career to know something about it.)

Asik is under contract and if the Rockets make he and his agent understand he isn't going anywhere for now, then any sulking will only hurt his value in the eyes of other teams. His best bet for his future is to always play his best and bide his time. He's still young. If I were in his position I bust my buns and put aside any thoughts of getting traded for the whole season. He needs to get that distraction out of his head. If he can't, then he is more about him than the team and it's success. He came here to grow. Growth of character, as well as a player may not have been on his agenda when he came here, but it is now.