1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013/2014 Playing time distribution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Oct 12, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

PG: Lin (24), Beverley (24)
    SG: Harden (36), Lin (8), Beverley (4)
    SF: Parsons (34), Garcia (10), Casspi (4)
    PF: Howard (16), Casspi (10), Jones (10), Motiejunas (12)
    C: Howard (20), Asik (28)

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't see Jones and Motiejunas getting all those minutes, and Garcia getting only 10 minutes a game.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brewer will get Jones minutes or minutes will be split between the two. Brewers defense will be needed, especially in post season.

4. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

PG: Bev(30),Lin(16)
    SG: Harden(30),Lin(14),Garcia(4)
    SF: Parson(28),Garcia(13),Harden(7)
    PF: Casspi(19), Howard (15), one of D-Mo/Jones(8),Parsons(6)
    C: Asik(27),Howard(21)

I think starting lineup is gonna fluctuate, at least at the beginning, with Harden/Parsons/Howard always starting. also I think we will probably either see D-Mo or Jones in a game, with it alternating until one separates himself from the other. Blowouts will probably get garbage minutes to Brooks/Brewer/Smith

5. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

oops sorry for the double post, but that should be 18 minutes for Lin under "PG" minutes

6. three

three Member

1st/3rd quarter
    PG: Bev (6min), Lin (6min)
    SG: Harden (12min)
    SF: Parsons (8min), Garcia (4min)
    PF: Howard (6min), Casspi (6min)
    C: Asik (6min), Howard (3min), Asik (3min)

2nd/4th quarter
    PG: Bev (8min), Lin (4min)
    SG: Lin (6min), Harden (6min)
    SF: Garcia (6min), Parsons (6min)
    PF: Dmo (4min), Parsons (2min), Casspi (6min)
    C: Asik (5min), Howard (7min)

Total
    Beverley (28min)
    Lin (32min)
    Harden (36min)
    Parson (32min)
    Garcia (20min)
    Howard (32min)
    Casspi (24min)
    Dmo (8min)
    Asik (28min)

7. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Most accurate so far.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

the playing time will be pretty similar to the game we played against the Spurs (except the scrubs playing time add to those starters)
    C - Asik (28 min), Howard (20 min)
    PF - Howard (14 min), Casspi (23 min), Jones/Motiejunas (9 min)
    SF - Parsons (32 min), Garcia (16 min)
    SG - Harden (35 min), Beverley (10 min), Garcia (3 min)
    PG - Lin (30 min), Beverley (18 min)

Total
    Harden (35 min)
    Howard (34 min)
    Parsons (32 min)
    Lin (30 min)
    Beverley (28 min)
    Asik (28 min)
    Casspi (23 min)
    Garcia (19 min)
    Jones/Motiejunas (9 min)

depend on matchup you might see Parsons at PF and Harden at SF

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know why folks insist in throwing 6 to 10 charity scrap minutes to Jones and/or Motiejunas.

First, it seems clear that these two are out of the rotation and the team is splitting the 4/5 minutes 3 ways among Howard, Casspi and Asik. Probably gonna end up with Howard at 36, Casspi and Asik each at 30 in the absence of garbage time.

Second, it makes little sense to take away a few minute from Asik and Casspi each to gift them to Jones and/or Motiejunas. Fragmenting minutes this way just makes it harder for guys to get chemistry with each other. Also, it's not like a 36/30/30 split in minutes is too taxing on any of these guys.

If anything, Casspi or Asik may lose a few minutes to Chandler Parsons in the 1-1-2-3-5 lineup of Lin-Bev-Harden-Parsons-Howard, which looks like a likely finishing lineup.

Unless something dramatic happens, Motiejunas and Jones are on mop up duty only.

10. DocRock

DocRock Member

Off the top of my head, the Sixers Finals team (34 y/o Dikembe, Tyrone Hill). Actually probably the majority of teams Iverson played on. The defending champ Celtics without KG (Perkins+Big Baby) took Dwight's Magic to 7 games the year he went to the Finals. And I can't remember much about the Bulls bigs for the 2nd 3 peat besides Rodman.

11. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

eh, I think McHale is gonna see at least for a few weeks if something clicks for one Jones/D-Mo. They both offer a skillset that is unique relative to the rest of the players at their position, and I'm sure Mchale would love be confident that if he does need to call on one of them, they will be ready to produce.
    Also another thing to think about is if another big goes down with injury. homecourt is important in the playoffs, and if we do encounter an injury, I think McHale would like to know that whichever of Jones/D-Mo that steps up in the rotation will be ready to produce. They won't be able to afford to experiment for a week with different lineups.

12. Carl Herrera

While there is some value to getting your 9th man some minutes to help him maybe get ready for duty later in the season, this is pretty far down on the list of priorities behind (1) actually winning games, and (2) giving time for the regulars to work together.

Remember, both Dwight Howard and Casspi are new to the team and Asik has only had a limited amount of time in the preseason to work with them given his injury. These guys can really use some early reps in the season to get familiar with each other and the rest of their teammates.

Jones and Motiejunas will just have to get themselves ready in practice, garbage time, and maybe the D-League until the Rockets know what they have in their regulars.

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

you want to have 9-10 men rotation for regular season game
    it's long season you want to keep your main 8 guys fresh for playoff
    and use some time to develop other player in case of injuries

14. Carl Herrera

I don't think the minutes are going to be that demanding for any of the players with 8 guys.

A simple plan can go with a 3 man rotation at both the 1-2 spots and the 4-5 spots, with Harden and Howard getting 36 mpg each and the other 4 guys (Lin, Bev, Asik, Casspi) getting 30 each, Parsons and Garcia can split the SF minutes something like 33-15. This way, nobody is really getting that many minutes, particularly given that there will be garbage time in some games. You can also dial down the minutes for Harden and Howard by giving Lin/Bev/Asik/Casspi a couple more than the 30 minutes for which they are scheduled or maybe give Garcia a few more.

30-36 mpg really isn't much for mostly young guys on the roster. It's not like we are gonna need anyone to be getting Luol Deng's 38.7 mpg just because we don't play a 9th guy.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

If they do expand it to a 9 man rotation, Brewer would be the one that makes it in. Not Dmo or Jones.

Usually you want to play the guys that contribute over the guys who don't contribute. If you do it the other way around, the team tends to get pissed off. They are players, but they are not dumbasses or blind.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

I guess I'll go with what I had originally. Maybe flip flop Asik and Casspi depending on matchups. With an emphasis of the last part, where we throw Dmo and Jones down the well.

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I like this alot. I hope it comes true.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because we will have quite a few blowout wins when the bench will be cleared.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would personally prefer Garcia getting more minutes than those guys. But we already know what Garcia can do. We don't need him to prove anything or showcase him for a trade. When we have blowout wins, Jones and Motiejunas will get their minutes. But fine, take away a few minutes from Jones and Motiejunas each, give Chandler a few at the 4, increase Garcia's minutes.

In this case:

PG: Lin (24), Beverley (24)
    SG: Harden (36), Lin (8), Beverley (4)
    SF: Parsons (24), Garcia (20), Casspi (4)
    PF: Howard (16), Casspi (10), Parsons (10), Jones (6), Motiejunas (6)
    C: Howard (20), Asik (28)

Translated to minutes per player:

Harden: 36
    Howard: 36
    Parsons: 34
    Lin: 32
    Asik: 28
    Beverley: 28
    Garcia: 20
    Casspi: 14
    Jones: 6
    Motiejunas: 6
    Total: 240

I think this minute distribution would also more or less accurately reflect the importance of each player to the team, while not overly burdening the stars. Actually, I would rather give Asik the extra minutes of either Jones or Motiejunas. And of course, the players 11-15 will also get some minutes here and there.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

^ I can guarantee you Casspi plays more than 14 minutes a game.