1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight in the low post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We either are going so see D-Mo or Jones hitting 33% from beyond the arc, or we will see a ton of Casspi in the PF position.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Like 'meh' mentioned earlier, they are not mutually exclusive. When the fast break is available obviously the team would opt for that. But as the game tightens up in the 4th quarters and especially in the playoffs, the team will have to rely on more of a half court game.

In a half court offense, we are still going to see a large dose of PnRs since that is a staple of every NBA team. Last year we relied on it so much that the Rockets were dead last in the NBA in low post scoring. With Howard, we will be able to employ a much more diverse attack.

While Harden has proven to be one of the elite scorers out of the PnR, he also showed in OKC that he is able to generate unworldly efficiency while playing off of other superstars. By playing inside-out with Howard, that is an aspect of Harden's game that I would like to see exploited more.

3. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

Most of the national media guys thought he's lack of a signature move, including the statter Jabar.

Which is a fair assessment.

4. bongman

bongman Member

What is Lebron's, KD, Carmelo and Kobe's (all very good offensive players just to name a few) signature moves?

In addition, you can't use a Laker's quote to justify your perception. We all know that all Lakers fans loved the signing of Dwight until he left him. They act exactly like a person who just got dumped but was not ready to move on. Instead of moving on, they trash his name to make themselves feel less of a failure.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If we can get him to 90% of the former Magic Dwight that's what we wished for. Anything else is gravy.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of the moves

Lebron - block and transition tomahawks and windmills
    KD - Dirk's one legged fadeaway, ridiculous shot in the 4th
    Carmelo - rebound, posting up and 3 pointer
    Duncan - bank shot
    DWade - ridiculous circus shot with his back to the basket in transition

Kobe - shake and bake, fadeaways, reverse dunk, hangtime
    dribbling
    when he wore 8 he had his tongue out like MJ, a lot of MJ style

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I see a lot of Harden/Howard pick n roll to start the game. Then when we play our small lineup with either casspi/garica at the 4, dwight will get the ball in the post more. Our small line up will help spread the floor, so dwight can do work. If Dwight gets doubled, he can kick it out to one of our shooters. Our small lineup will be a lot of fun to watch.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Even in his 'highlights' Dwight almost never creates separation from his defender. He almost never fakes out his defender when reversing direction or going baseline. Even in his highlight reel, Dwight is making shots in the paint with a defender who is well-positioned on him. I don't ever see him going through a 2 or 3 stage move where he reacts to what his defender gives him, or sells him on a fake. It feels like he has decides on his move and just goes through with it, no matter how his man reacts (or if he's double or triple teamed.)

His arm and wrist seem really stiff on the release of his hook shot, like he's trying to guide the ball in with a stick. He has the opposite of a soft touch. The ball, even when it goes in, will usually clang hard on the rim first. Even Kevin Willis (remember him?) and his Trex arms had a cleaner hook.

It's unfair to compare any post player to McHale and Hakeem, but for the sake of discussion: the highlights of these guys (the highest skilled post players ever) were layup lines. The defender was always out of position, embarrassingly so. If the defender retained position, they created space for the shot, which was soft and secure. Now those are highlights. Even Yao could lose his man with his baseline move for the easy layup.

Dwight is so insanely strong that even when his man follows him on the running hook, chest right on his shoulder, even when his man has followed his baseline move without losing him, he still elevates through the defender and gets up to the rim. Dwight's success in the post centers around getting through well-placed defenders, which is exactly what a skilled post player would not be doing. Skilled post players are humiliating their defenders laying the ball in undefended because their defender bit on the second fake. They are lobbing in soft hook shots that are so high-percentage they're as good as layups and dunks. Dwight scores on well-placed defenders because crazy strength and vertical allow him to.

That is why his post game is good enough to warrant the double team. That is why those of us who appreciate the game and great post play say that Dwight is 'not a good post player.' He's good enough to warrant a double team, but not because he is skilled.

Put the coordination and post skills of a Hakeem or Kobe in a weaker person's body, and they will still score. Put the coordination and post skills of a Dwight Howard in a weaker person's body, and they are toast.

I don't want to spend this whole post criticizing Dwight, I'm psyched we have him on the team. I want to elevate the conversation about post play. The issue is merely an issue of skill.

The actual on-court result of Dwights combination of strength, leaping ability, and coordination means he requires a double team. Yay! I'm happy about that! Seriously. One of the great moments in our last game vs Indy was when Chandler made a simple cut when his man was sagging and watching Dwight, who made the easy pass for an easy dunk. Easy dunks against a set defense is how you humiliate your opponent. It's fantastic that Dwight adds that fold to what was last year was a very lacking half-court offense.

I do hope that I eat my words, and I see Dwight making his man bite on fakes and put up open layups and dunks. I hope he gets a nice soft touch on his jump hook and can sink it like a layup. He probably won't because he's been a pro for ten years and if he could, he would have learned by now. But that's ok! Why? Because if it's good enough to force a double team, it's good enough to design an offensive play with.

2 people like this.
  9. bongman

bongman Member

Signature moves? At least to my understanding, when you mention a signature move, it is directly related to a player like "sky hook", "dream shake", "killer crossover" etc and that move was mad famous by said player. None of those moves you mentioned of those players are anywhere close to that definition.

10. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I hate to say that, but he is one trick pony. He should not be the focus of Rockets' offense. As soon as he determines to do all the dirty jobs like rebounding and setting screens for JH, he will win a champion for the Great city of Houston.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

He has to be trolling at this point if he is complaining about Dwight's lack of a 'signature move' while simultaneously listing 'windmills' as Lebron's 'signature move'.

Dwight's 'signature move' is where he puts the orange thing inside the circle thing. People can see a demonstration of this 'signature move' in the video evidence in the OP, where he uses this move over, and over, again.

This was a great post and very astute observations. You won't end up eating your words. At this point in Dwight's career, he is not adding anything new no matter how much he works with Hakeem. He may polish up his steps, but an old dog is not learning new tricks.

You are correct that Dwight lacks skill. But he does not lack effectiveness. And in the end, that is all that matters.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Probably right, but in 2011-2012 he averaged 19.4/13.8. And he shoots typically in the 56% - 61% range. He is a larger force on the offensive end than any other center. So he probably will be the second highest scorer on the Rockets team next season, and will make his team mates jobs much easier on the offense.

13. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

i have to agree dwight is less about skill and more about strength and athleticism. Its just his style of play. Not necessarily a bad thing. It can still get the job done. Maybe he'll have a stronger desire to pick up fakes and other moves as his body ages and he has to rely on skills more. If I was him I wouldn't have bothered learning those moves either when I got rediculous atheltic abilities

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You just described shaq

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You just described shaq too

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I don't care about post moves signature move or none of that non sense 46pts is 46pts and. 20 rebs is 20rebs whatever it takes to get the job done just do it and I think that's what Dwight does he does whatever it takes

17. three

three Member

great post! Anyone who truly understands the game knows that having a great post player is the easiest and most effective way to compromise a defense and draw double teams in a half court offense. This will be essential in the playoffs when opposing defenses will limit your fast break opportunities.

We should stop complaining about how bad Dwight is in the post. We should be happy that the coaching staff realises it is important to use some parts of every game to let him post up as this will only help him to improve as a post player.

18. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

Do you know how to read English? LOL.

19. bongman

bongman Member

Ty for letting us know you are just trolling.

20. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

Yes you are iliterate. Do I need to tell you why? And don't bring "us" to the conversation, it's all abut you.:eek: