1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight in the low post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm sick of this bullcrap circlejerk that Howard is useless in the post. You can't run an inside out offence centered on a player who a crap in the post. His skills in the post are nothing to rave about, but he is a physical specimen and able to utilize it rather effectively

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

This is still not the point. What should Howard's primary role be? A roll man or the traditional post player? It's not a question of whether the PNR should be exclusively run at the complete expense of touches to Howard in the low post. Dwight however still seem to think that the offense should be run through him in the post, which many people take issue with as this does not conform to the real abilities of a player who is nearly a veteran of the league. In a way, this is pretty ironic as Howard refused to be moulded into a PNR duo with Nash only to eventually move to the Rockets and face the same demands since his deficiencies (very limited array of moves, poor execution with no fluidity and getting stripped by guards) in the low post highlighted in LA are still the same.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dwight Howard can do both. Yes, it is possible for a player to accomplish more than one task on the court over the course of a game.

4. hbomb

hbomb Member

Dwight is a the right centre for Houston.

Full stop.

He is surrounded by the best PnR in Harden and Lin.

A crew of high 3pt% shooting perimeter players in Parsons and Garcia.

And has some one to share his minutes and reduce injury risk in Asik.

/END THREAD.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Obviously you have to balance out what to expect.

I am satisfied with what we have and there is nothing wrong with it.
    In case Howard struggles, then we are aware of it.

If Howard can find a way to be effective on O, then the whole team benefits.
    Of course I hope for the better but for now he is just not Orlando Dwight.

You always have to upgrade your game once your athleticism leaves you.

Give you two examples: The big Ticket and the big Fundamental

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He may not have Dream's post moves but I clearly saw the massive effect Howard had on the game even in the offensive end when posting. Literally, the whole defense had to focus on Howard leaving room for the rest of our guys. Howard is elite on both ends and once we gel, it's game over for the rest of the league IMHO.

We have a superstar big now along with our superstar perimeter player with great complimentary players with a good bench. Time and chemistry will solve the rest on out way to the championship.

7. andersongo

andersongo Member

You did not even bother to read the rest of my post.

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

His running hook is actually pretty good. He should use it more.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I wish he had a go to move. I remember Shaq didn't have a superior post game when he first entered the league until he learned that jump hook. You could say the same thing about Webber. Even Olajuwon's post game went to a different level once he had that jump hook down pat. Dwight needs to figure out his go to move and stick with it. It will make him much more comfortable and confident in the low post. Considering he has been in the league for 8 years you would think he'd figure it out by now.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Eighteen months ago Howard was considered a rival of LeBron for the best player in the league. For instance RAPM for 2011-2012:

Name Offense per 100 Defense per 100 Off+Def per 200 Possessions
    LeBron James 7.4 2.2 9.5 8949.0
    Dwight Howard 1.4 7.4 8.8 7672.0

People on this board actually underestimate Howard's impact by quite a bit. He is a trans-formative player. The only negative to his acquisition is that he will replace Asik, a top 7 center, in the lineup. But make no mistake. His impact if healthy is right around the impact LBJ and KD.

11. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

We shall see

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd liken the Indiana games to the games the performances Dwight would have when he had to face off against Yao, or a team that could guard him one-on-one, and keep him either at the foul line or around 40% FGA.

That's the book that you would write on defending against Dwight. All other teams will have to double/triple team him, continually foul him, and you have to live with open 3's.

Dwight is so dominant physically that you have to have a center that can guard him one on one which VERY FEW NBA teams have. The Celtics HAD one in Perkins back a few years ago, the Rockets had one with Yao, and the Pacers now have one in Hibbert. You wont see interior defense anything close to what you have seen the past 3 games most of the season.

However, the silver lining here is that the Rockets were still clearly looking like the better team because even if Dwight is being kept in check, the Rockets are so good from attacking and creating on the perimeter with Harden and sometimes with Lin that you still can't beat the Rockets just by stopping Dwight like you could in the Orlando days.

Even if Dwight has lost a little bit of his elite physicality, even playing at 75% of where he was before, he will be able to dominate more than 3/4 the centers in the NBA if not more on a nightly basis... just watch and see what he does to Vucevic(who I actually like) on Wednesday night if you dont believe me. The Magic will end up double-teaming Dwight at some point in the night, and the 3 point shot will open up.

Also at any point during the season if-

A. Dwight has a center on him that can guard him one-on-one
    B. The other team doubles Dwight & Asik/D-Mo/Jones aren't able to provide adequate spacing
    C. The Rockets aren't able to defend & rebound with Small ball at the 4 spot

then the Rockets still have the ultimate ace in the hole in that situation to still win ball games, and that is putting Harden.. one of the best if not the best/most efficient attacking guard in the league in the Pick and Roll.

No other team in the league has more weapons at their disposal to use offensively than the Rockets even with Howard only being 75 to 80% of what he used to be back in Orlando.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Nice post by the OP but those who don't get that Dwight is a superior post player are just idiots. Roy hibbert is the second best center in the league and the Pacers still doubled Howard at times. Yes they had some success against Howard but here is the other side of that. Dwight clearly was still nursing some kind of injury, everyone on the Rockets is still learning how to work Howard in, Howard is learning the offense and his teammates and there will not be a better center that Dwight faces all season.

All of that and Dwight still demanded doubles and looked decent at times. He is not Hakeem but he is amazingly quick (quicker than I realized) with strength unmatched at the center spot. He will demand doubles and sometimes triples against almost every team in the league. Any coach who does not start the offense with Howard is just stupid. Every double leaves someone open. If they are foolish and do not double then an easy basket are foul shots will be forthcoming. As the great Rudy T said you keep going at what works until it stops working.

Morey wants us to continue pushing the ball looking for an easy basket but when it isn't there then going into Dwight should absolutely be the next thing on the agenda. As for those who think Howard is not the player he was in Orlando, I say they are right, wait and see he will be better, the best of his career.

14. rocketblood713

all I know is if he aint getting touches Dwight is going to be upset so as long as they feed him we should be good

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He needs to add some mass to his base/lower body, otherwise, i can't see him being a constant force in the post. IIRC, even Dream, who wasn't considered big/heavy, weighed about 10-15 more pounds than him.

i think he gets bumped around too easily. He's got his moments, where he can bully others inside, but he also has moments where he looks more like Omer. We need him to get to the point where he looks competent one every touch.

#55 RV6, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Look at those freakin numbers what ridiculous stat lines for Dwight in those games

17. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Good post OP. Except the Rockets are a running team so it might be challenging for them to set up the halfcourt post-to-Howard game after beating their opponents down court. Do you really think they will want to slow things down, wait and let Howard post up? I think Harden, Lin, and Parsons would rather have a fast break.

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

We would all prefer a fastbreak Much higher conversion rate. But it's not all or nothing here. Even the Showtime Lakers leaned on a slow and older Kareem a lot. Except with us, Dwight can run the floor. Especially in the payoffs, half court game is still needed.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you act like more than half of our points are off fast break.

20. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I think Dwight's post game relies solely on his athleticism. He is 27 now and I doubt he can be better than he was when Magic went to the finals.