1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You can't prove that Jordans Bulls wouldn't have won if Collins stayed the coach. It could easily be argued that it was the maturation and development of the roster that finally got them to the point of being able to compete and ultimately win it all rather than just the simple explanation of going from Collins to Jackson that made it happen.

And you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the comment I bolded. The talent on the roster got us where we are. As of right now we just aren't talented enough to compete and that is absolutely not mchales fault. To be honest it's no ones fault, you don't just build championship contenders with a snap of a finger.

Give mchale or any coach that has a rep for being a bad coach a roster as talented as Miami or OKC and I guarantee you there won't be anywhere near as much b****ing about how bad of a coach he is.

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

For those who support Mchale, would you be okay with his firing if we get swept bad? I want him gone. Theres a ton of better options out there.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

You're right about the Jordan analogy. There is no way to prove what was the reason for their success. In all likelihood, the entry of Phil Jackson as well as player maturation both contributed to their rings. I only bright it up to illustrate that coaching plays more than just a nominal role in team success.

Your position seems to be that we need more talent. I agree - who wouldn't? I don't necessarily agree though that bad coaches could succeed with a lot of talent. Great players need to respect their coach or they won't listen and it is the coaching that determines what schemes the team is going to play etc. Miami is dominant because Wade and LBJ are dominant but there is a structured and highly organized method that successfully channels that talent on both offense and defense.

Ultimately, for me, getting rid of Mchale is not about insuring a championship immediately. It's about having a coach, a leader that can develop and maximize the potential of our current roster as well as the future roster so that we can be in a position to win a championship. As I said before, I just don't believe Mchale is that guy.

4. dmoneybangbang

First of all using an example of a hall of fame coaching as a reason why coaching matter seemed pretty silly. That's my opinion about your response in a nutshell.

Of course coaching matters, I think the discussion is how much. It's up to Morey in that regard as we can sit here and argue all day. Personally I am more worried about getting talented players.

We already have a great coaching staff, notice I didn't say head coach. Again people overstate the importance of the head coach and seem to forget about the staff.

5. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Now I think you're the one being silly. I don't know what makes you think that the staff is really good. Or why you think that the head coach is just a figurehead. If the staff are the ones that do all the real coaching, based on the the terrible coaching mistakes made in what were very important games alone (LA and Phoenix), the entire staff deserves to be fired. I can't think of ever seeing an NBA game where coaches made mistakes from tipoff to the last second. I still can't believe those very winnable games were squandered by stupid decision after stupid decision. You keep saying otherwise - ok - cite some evidence. I'm always willing to listen to credible arguments.

As for the Jordan reference, that was because but it was obvious. But let me extend it and say that almost every championship team that I can think of had great coaching.

Like I said earlier, I agree that we need more talent. Who doesn't? It's a given fact. But my entire point is that keeping Mchale, a coach who has demonstrated that he at the very least is not a good coach, is not justifiable.

6. dmoneybangbang

Now you are just putting words in my mouth, where did I say figurehead? Where did I say the staff does all the coaching?

Seems you just have an axe to grind with the coaching yet you remain ignorant about the age and inexperience of our team. But hey, lets pretend we are going to fire the coach.... Name 5 realistic replacements.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Of course not. OKC is one of the best two teams in the league and the Rockets are a middle of the pack team in the NBA. OKC is supposed to thump the Rockets. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not being realistic. Good experience for our players though. It will show them that there is a lot of hard work in front of them to become an elite team. A coach can only do so much with inferior talent.

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

They are too separate matters. Coaching can be bad both when you have vets and rookies on a team. We are talking about subs and rotations here. How does that relate to lack of individual performance due to youth.

Putting Delfino at Gasol or, even better, as a center doesn't make sense from a coaching point. How can you use the "our team is young" or "Lin fans hate McHale" as a counter argument. This is the most mind-baffling part.

9. RocketPowerNick

GET HIM OUT OF HERE.

10. SirKen

SirKen Member

Meant to type "two separate matters". I should get back into the habit of proofreading my posts as there is no editing function here...

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that the Rox are an 8th seed and having to open up against OKC has a lot to do with McHale ineptness over the season and down the stretch especially. This ass kicking in this series should really make the front office rethink some things with the coaching staff.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

If it wasnt for McFails incompetent coaching we would be a 6th seed right now playing the gimpy Denvers.

Fire McFail.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Ok Mchale is making me eat my words. He is going to have to do what I blasted him for doing all season. I was so wrong. McHale can't start greg. We can't defend OKC anyway, Houstons only chance is to outscore them. McHale should start Carlos at the 4. Greg & Omer together is awful.

Lin
    Harden
    parsons
    Carlos
    Asik

with Beverly Jones off the bench.

Also I hate the Bev, Lin Harden line up McHale runs. There are just way to many guys out there who need the ball in there hands to be effective. Just way to chaotic out there. Sigh. So yes I eat my words on some of the awful things I said about McHale this season.

14. dmoneybangbang

Because the coaches actually get to talk and see the players practice..... Not you or me. We have no one else, besides Asik, who can consistently man the front court. No one can consistently do it with our lineup, as Gasol had his way with with Smith, Jones, and Delfino.... Your coaching strategy it seems is just try random rookies at the 4.

No one on this forum watches the Rockets practice or has any sort of inside thinking with our coaching staff but that has stopped you or any other arm chair coach to proclaim it is McHale's fault.

No offense to you or anyone else, but not too many people on this forum wouldn't know a set play if it was tap dancing naked in front of them. Yet people just act like the coaches tell players to stand in the corner and let Harden iso.

15. dmoneybangbang

Jesus, now people think the coaches can make players make shots. Hopefully my sarcasm meter is broken.

16. Gertso

Gertso Member

This place sucks.

1 person likes this.
  17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

nah man..you put Delfino on Pau Gasol , a future HOFer and two time champion in what is arguably the most important regular season matchup, you get all the criticism you deserve.

18. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

if morey is the great gm that i and a lot of people think he is, he will get rid of mchale when the time comes.

19. brick

brick Member

Staggering the minutes of Lin and Harden as much as possible is good for the team. I saw the only time Rockets caught up with OKC in the first playoff game was in the 2nd quarter when Harden sat. If McHale wants to win a game to look better this could be the only solution.

20. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Harden sat for like a minute before he came back in cause Parsons got into foul trouble. We tied when both Harden and Lin were on the court.