1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

has Hellsing been mentioned? the final episode came out recently, great series.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yvUC7WbAPys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Yeah, I was gonna say, the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs are one of the few things I've kept up with since 2009 when I started grad school... they're really well-done if you don't mind ultra-violence. Much better than the original Hellsing series. But since grad school started I haven't had the time to keep up with much newer stuff, other than Hellsing, Ghibli movies, and Makoto Shinkai movies.

The only other exceptions I can think of are Durarara!!, Eden of the East, and the newer seasons of Natsume's Book of Friends (there are now four 13-episode seasons). All three of these are great and worth checking out.

3. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Not sure if it's mentioned or not, but Basilisk is a pretty good short series (it's also based on a manga).
    [​IMG]

The live action movie (Shinobi) was very very solid too (surprisingly).
    [​IMG]

#163 Mr Boo, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. AtheistPreacher

I actually wasn't a big fan of Basilisk. To me it seemed to focus more on finding ways to kill people off in interesting ways rather than providing a truly compelling story. But to each his own. I suppose I shouldn't talk too much when I'm recommending Hellsing Ultimate (not to mention the fact that I enjoy movies like RoboGeisha and Tokyo Gore Police). Haven't seen the live-action.

Also, not to bust your chops or anything, but I wouldn't call Basilisk "short." Anything around the 22 to 26-episode range is standard length. 12 or 13 episodes is a half-length show, and anything longer than 26 is... well... long.

#164 AtheistPreacher, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  5. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I don't watch too much anime, so to me it's short when you compare it to something like Naruto/Bleach. I actually like how Basilisk is contained and doesn't draw something out for a several episodes. In that light, it's actually a pretty straight forward / simple story. This lent itself well to making a live action movie, since the movie is really a translation of the anime/manga, rather than a whole different spin.

6. mikennite

mikennite Member

Any recommendations for Sports Anime? I've seen Major, but haven't got into anything else

7. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

check out "kuroko's basketballl" and "slam dunk" for basketball anime

baseball: cross game

boxing: hajime no ippo

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Already judging people that watch naruto and haven't seen full metal alchemist or death note .

9. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

one piece gets a lot better. a lot of people give up on it easily cause it's so long. it's worth it though. try marathon some episodes. if you still don't like it at all after about 50 episodes, then idk. as a last resort to get into it, you could try the one piece special "episode of nami". check that out first. imo, it's even better than naruto.

10. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

11. AtheistPreacher

I'm not a big shounen fan in general -- my kind of anime is generally the thought-provoking kind aimed at older audiences, like Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell, Mushi-Shi, Paranoia Agent, etc.

That said, FMA is probably my favorite "mainline" shounen (I'm talking about the original, I haven't seen the reboot so I can't comment on it). So I'd agree with you that it's in a somewhat higher class than Naruto, and that people who like Naruto but haven't tried FMA are doing themselves a disservice.

Death Note is even better. You could classify it as shounen too, I suppose, but personally I don't really think of it that way. Yeah, it's aimed at younger boys I guess, but I think it can be easily appreciated by older audiences as well. However, not everyone will dig the anti-hero aspect (but most will if they give it half a chance).

One other I'll mention: Gunslinger Girl. There's another one that some would classify as "shounen," but to me it goes so far beyond what shounen normally achieve, and it doesn't even really strike me as something where younger boys would be the primary demographic. Meh. But however you want to classify it, IMO Gunslinger Girl is miles ahead of either FMA or Death Note. It's in my personal top 10 for anime tv series (at least the first season is... second season not so much).

The good news is that Gunslinger Girl is available on Netflix instant streaming. So is the original Fullmetal Alchemist. So if you have Netflix and haven't seen either of them, watch a few episodes and see what you think.

#171 AtheistPreacher, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

If you like xxxholic and supernatural themes. You might enjoy 'Vampire Princess Miyu', both the ova series and then the later tv series.

14. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

My finished anime of 2013

Clannad & after story
    Basilisk
    Sword art online
    Rosario vampire
    Kanon 2006
    Baka and Test
    Elfen lied
    This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
    Ouran Host Club

Ones that instantly get me hooked are comedies, romance, high school themed, Samurai action, and the Yu Yu Hakusho and dbz type heroes. If y'all have some suggestions I'd like to hear em'. Currently watching little busters and 'key' is becoming my favorite studios for anime.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

You people should also check out Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King and Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FnbwFiZf9vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iHNWVSBLyug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and still waiting for part 3...

Berserk Golden Age Arc III: Descent

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UwfT_Wh1A1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

awesome moniker, I freaking love that show.

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Cowboy Bebop? Yeah I freaking love the show. So sad it ended. You should also check out Cowboy Bebop: The Movie if you haven't done so. I wish they would give us another Cowboy Bebop anime movie or even a live action one with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Spike. Love the homage in Looper to Cowboy Bebop.

[​IMG]

You should also check out Samurai Champloo(same creator of Cowboy Bebop) and Firefly(pretty similar to Cowboy Bebop).

18. AtheistPreacher

I love Ouran and Elfen Lied. Great stuff.

Samurai Champloo fits under both samurai action and comedy.

Claymore is a great action anime (not samurai, but they've got big swords, so I figure it should be close enough for you). It's really bloody, but certainly no worse than Elfen Lied.

I mentioned Kare Kano and Lovely Complex as two great high school romance shows in another thread. If you follow the link, I've embedded the first episode of each.

Emma: A Victorian Romance is a really good romance anime, but it might be slower than some people like.

ef - A Tale of Memories is another good high school romance. But it's also a little more unconventional and "out there."

Lastly, gotta mention Great Teacher Onizuka for high school comedy. And oldie but a goodie.

1 person likes this.
  19. AtheistPreacher

I've been meaning to watch these. I'm a huge fan of the manga and the anime was damned good. And I've only heard good things about this reboot.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Really? I heard it started crappy and finished great.