1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Woah no disagree. He is not top 5 in the league. I think he is an average defender but he isn't top 5 in the league. His man to man defense isn't bad. He isn't like a lock down defender but he is pesky defender and quick. He doesn't have large hands but he has quick hands as you can see from numerous steals and deflections. He gets stuck on screens but I don't know if that is a product of playing on a team that was not great defensively (ie Amare). In GSW he was praised for his defense. In garbage time he averaged like 2.3 steals a game. His off the ball defense I think he needs to work on. His defense will improve over time because remember he is still learning.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I don't get why some of you are so bummed out on leebigez's opinion. Since when being a solid nba starting guard a bad thing? I can understand the potential talk, but come on, let's wait and see a few more games before making that judgement. Actually Tim Legler has mentioned the same thing repeatedly on radio, he thinks Lin will be a solid starting point guard in the NBA and I agree with him. If he becomes something better, great! But please don't overrate a player just because you've seen all his highlight reels.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

I dont think anyone is bummed out by what was said. And I watched every knick game this year on my league pass, before during and after Lin. And I also checked his synergy statistics and he is a damn good player for someone who is 23. I think a lot of people ignore the fact that he wasn't even supposed to start. His body wasn't conditioned to be a starter and he didn't have the mental preparation to be a starter. But he played and played well and showed that he is already a solid NBA guard for someone that was 6 months ago a 13th man on the roster. I think Morey said it best what he showed is that he can play at a peak level which is (elite). No he won't do that next season or the season after, it will probably take years. And no he can't sustain that peak level over the stretch of 82 game now or the year after. But maybe down the road 4 years from now who knows. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I just see him developing into a lot more (overtime) than just a solid nba starting guard. I think a lot of people just want to be conservative which is fine by them. But in my opinion he showed flashes of spectacular play and things that you just can't teach. But that is just me.

4. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Two notable defensive plays by Lin......

The first clip was the second air ball he forced Brandon Jennings to heave in that game..... (Note the score and time left in the game when the play occurred. Too bad the Knicks couldn't rebound the miss.) This is the same Brandon Jennings who tore up the Knicks for 36 points at the Garden in January, prior to Lin's emergence.

The second clip was arguably the play that caused Derrick Rose's initial groin injury, and Rose was never the same, playing hurt until he ultimately went down with the ACL injury.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/VRmfwKxqe4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/T8zKjGgzGQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

Larry Brown WAS a good coach a long time ago, no so much any more. He let personal feelings clouded his judgement and professionalism, and since then, it's in a downhill slope.

Hubie Brown, on the other hand, say things on TV like he sees it, with lot of wisdom and insight.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, given that Lin has performed at an all-star level with clutchness that most veteran players have never displayed in their entire lives, wouldn't "solid NBA starter" mean that Lin will be a crappier player whose weaknesses will never improve while his strengths are a mirage?

I mean, I wouldn't mind that kind of scouting report from a 35yr old ex-star whose knees are shot and living on reputation, but it would kind of suck that a 24yr old's best days are way behind him.

1 person likes this.
  7. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Your assessment is pretty accurate, but I totally disagree on this one. I've seen just about every game Lin played since the start of "Linsanity", and I think he defends the "pick and roll" as well as anyone................... I personally think he's one of only few players who'd give Steve Nash problems.

By the way, one negative people have *not* picked up on with Lin is he does have a tendency to pick up the dribble in heavy traffic. This in my opinion is his biggest flaw. He can sometimes bail himself out, but this is where some of his "bad" turnovers originate from. (The type of turnovers that result in fast break layups or dunks by the opposition.) If he can cut down on this flaw, I personally would not sweat his other turnovers, which are mostly from him being overaggressive (charging fouls, mishandled passes, etc.), rather than being overwhelmed by the defense. (The only time he was overwhelmed by the defense was in that Miami Heat game.)

8. theaesirsfinest

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Based on my memories, those times he got lit-up by other PGs was mostly due to him being screened and the opposing PGs taking advantage of the mismatch with the Knick big.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

And how is that his fault when the Knick big is Amare Stoudemire with his matador defense. The Spurs commentators openly called Amare out for that. The same thing happened in the Boston Celtics game. That is the point. Under Woodson when Amare actually started to play defense and communicate on the defensive end calling out screens notice how guys stopped lighting him up.

10. theaesirsfinest

Whoa there. I never said it was his fault. In fact, in my original post, I stated that I'm unsure whose fault it is due to my inability to hear the on-court defensive communication.

No need to tell me about how Amar'e was a defensive liability. I got pissed at him live while watching the games.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am not mad don't worry. I just cry a little on the inside watching Amare not play defense. That is why when fans were calling for Nash I was like y'all are smoking weed if you think a starting line up of Nash and Amare will get you places with there lawn chair D.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Wow leeis spot on. I wouldsay in his prime or peak he will be a very, very good player, but he will never reach Rose, Westbrook, Paul, Williams an etc level.

13. kinein

kinein Member

Lol matador defense.

14. kinein

kinein Member

Don't know what this really means, I thought he played pretty damn well against Rose. His strips, steals, and shot block chase down on Rose was enough proof in the pudding for me. His upside is amazing and he has an incredible clutch gene.

When someone like D.Rose strains his groin and continues to play with his foot on the accelerator because he is being challenged by Lin, and further aggravates his groin injury into a a serious groin injury - just to compete with Lin ~ you know you got something special.

I like that aspect of Lin that stokes the flames of competition and brings out the best from top players and starters on other teams. That is something that I think was missing from the NBA for a long time now. Just my 2cents.

Saw Chris Paul lose a game on free throws in the 4th.

Saw Lin against the 76ers. struggling but in the 4th, continued to attack the basket and nail free throw after free throw, after free throw, after free throw, after free throw, after free throw, after free throw - after free throw.

In the last few seconds the 76ers completely gave up because Lin's free throws completely took the wind out of their sails.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

CP3 is a lot more clutch than Lin is. CP3 has the highest PER in the 4th quarter, Lin ranks second. CP3 scores the most points in the 4th quarter as well. Lin ranks 6th. Don't get me wrong Lin is really clutch but CP3 is just better and there is nothing wrong with that CP3 should be better. Also Lin did his thing over 25 games. Not that I am discounting it (he hit 40 of his last 42 FT's or something like that) which is impressive. But Lin does have to do it consistently for an entire season to really establish himself.

16. kinein

kinein Member

Eh, I'm not trashing any top PG in the NBA, I respect their game. I just don't get excited watching their games. I got League Pass for the first time and watched more games in one season then I did in the last 10 years.

I get that CP3 is tops. I just don't get the same magic watching him - like I did when I watched Jordan or the championship Rockets - or Lin.

Plain and simple - I have fun and get fired up just seeing him compete as the ultimate under-dog and like the fire and fight in his eyes. The guy plays with heart every single game and you won't catch him slacking off when he is on the floor. I like how he makes his teammates better.

I like that he wants to have fun playing basketball and for him the most important thing is his relationship with God.

There I said it. FUN & GOD. :D

17. kinein

kinein Member

I really enjoyed watching the game D.Rose and the Bulls had with the Knicks (injury one). It was a lot of fun watching D.Rose compete and watching Lin's first encounter with a fired up Rose.

18. kinein

kinein Member

I think sometimes conversations revolving around Lin start out with one person believing that someone that supports Lin - believes Lin to be superior or top 10.

It usually begins with an attack stating Lin will not be - and people turn into psychics, prophets, and voodoo shamans - predicting the next 5-10-15 years of the NBA.

When it really is about how much people enjoy just watching him enjoy the game. Watching when he pulls off a great assist or shot, or penetrates to the hoop and the level of focus he has and watching his confidence grow and his game develop. Its not about him being top 10 as much as the journey.

The ultimate underdog that has had naysayers just trashing on him on a daily basis.

Its that magic when you hold your breathe as the ball leaves his hand - in a lob pass, or the milliseconds that pass from the moment his shot is released til it reaches the basket.

Its not about constantly reading off the NBA's top list of proven veteran PGs whom make gabillion dollars. Its far from that. But people continue to bring that up as if that is - why people like watching him play and why many in Houston and the rest of world are fired up about his acquisition with the Rockets.

End ramble hehe

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just a question, what makes lin and his 25 games better than brooks and his 1st full season as a starter? I'll wait.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lin does things well other than shoot.

He's also not undersized.

Also, Brooks first full season as starter was at 25. Lin is still only 23.