1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Worshippers: Grab yourselves a nice fat portion of crow, and eat it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfat, Jan 10, 2003.

1. myputersux

myputersux Member

and just who do you think he can put in when he benches Cat or Steve for not doing what they are told???

Moochie?
    Hawk?
    Boki?
    Do you want to start Posey at PG??
    how bout Tito troll-head??

In todays NBA, you(the coach) cant just bench your star players..who the hell else are we gonna put on the floor in their place????

Geez guys...we are rebuilding faster than just about any franchise in history..at least we arent Denver or Memphis or the Clips...

the word for the wek is PATIENCE.
    Look it up, learn it..cause yalls whining is gettin repetious and tired...

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

To which I refer to this:

Benching your best players would only do more harm than good, causing more losses, team turmoil and pretty much disrupting team chemistry. Plus, there's no guarantee that it would teach them anything! Like I said, some things are best learned through experience and this situation is definitely one of them.

BTW, they DO listen to Rudy and DO respect him (did you not hear what Cat said a week ago?!) What they don't do is EXECUTE!

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sorry anyone who criticizes rudy for this loss is stupid. the players lost this game. rudy didnt shoot terrible from the free throw line. the rockets lost the game at the free throw line and thats the bottom line. the rockets did not look unprepared for the game so its not rudy's fault. they would have won if they would have made the free throw shots they should have made. if anyone wants to make up some other bs as a reason to complain then that is their problem but its not true. free throws are why we lost...not rudy!

4. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

You are stupid. We manage to tie the game, so regardless of how bad we "were" playing, the game was was in our grasp. Rudy kill ALL momentum when he decide to bench yao after a borderline tech. How many times have we seen players suddenly wake up when they are hit with a tech. That tech may have made Yao more aggressive, it could have jump started Yao on offense, he may have blocked a couple more shots for us, or grab a few more offensive rebounds and putbacks... etc. We will never know, because Rudy sent him to the bench.

I have no opinion on whether Rudy should be fired or not. I respect him for what he has done and applaud him for keeping the season somewhat successful. However, if you think that the loss last night was not in part the fault of Rudy, you are blind. Rudy f**k up. Any other coach would have left the pumped up Yao in the game, hell most of the fans know better then to pull him out at that time. :mad::rolleyes:

5. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

What a convenient time to start a thread like this... where are you when the Rockets win games? I guess none of those have anything to do with Rudy.

6. thedreamisover

I love Rudy and all, but it is hard to justify his middle-school substitution patterns....

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is there, by any chance, the possibility that the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I think some people go overboard with their criticism, but on the other hand, some things Rudy does seem strange to most of us, especially the substitution patterns. Also, why go to an extreme and talk about firing a coach of a winning team (one of the youngest in the league as well) instead of thinking about more constructive solutions like hiring special assistant coaches (like Sampson, or a defensive coach like the Mavs have), etc?

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Sir Jackie,

Yes, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Obviously, if we were hitting our shots last night, and won, rudy wouldn't have to be blamed for the loss.

the thing is, you see us losing all these winnable games by under 10 points, then you see glen rice playing 35 unproductive minutes (i use the term "playing" loosely with regards to glen), you see him inexplicably taking out Yao and Eddie when they are heating up, and it is frustrating. It is very easy to question several of his bonehead decisions, because it seems like if he was coaching smarter, we would be winning alot of those close games.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, but even if Rudy sometimes does strange things, don't forget that Yao and all the other players really seem to respect and like him. I don't think that it is the best thing for Yao's development to have to adjust not only to a different country, different rules, etc., but ALSO to a new coach all of a sudden.

Plus, Rudy is probably one of the three most loyal people in the NBA and this is something that needs to be respected as well. I feel like a lot of the reactions are really knee-jerk reactions. Hire and fire has never been a good way to lead a company to long-term success, even though one might get frustrated sometimes with key employees.

Patience is a virtue. If you do something wrong at your job, and I am sure all of us do, it would probably neither help your company nor you if you would get fired and replaced and if the next guy does something wrong, he gets fired, etc. What this team needs now is continuity and steady development.

Of course this should not mean that we cannot criticize Rudy for making strange decisions. But there should be some middle ground between treating him like an untouchable saint and calling for his head every time he seems to make a mistake or the team loses. Rudy is loyal. Let us also be loyal and let us criticize constructively.

10. nineteen

nineteen Member

Fat, Dream, Pip&Pooh,

Stay Strong! Logical and rational points. Thanks for using the "Rudy Lovers" moniker. I thought it was a valid term. Love is Blind! Love is emotional! We are dealing with people who "Oppose" change. That is why we are "Rudy Opposers"! We have yet to see one Rudy Lover say that if the Rox don't make the Playoffs, Rudy should be fired. Now they declare there aren't any good bench players so that SF and CM be benched. Rudy declared that this was his "deepest" team ever! Please go back to the Lover's post at the beginning of the year. They were predicting a 4th seed. Now they are Preaching Patience!? They can't have it both ways. Rudy can't lead! I'm willing to wait until the end of the year to let him go. If they lose to Denver, show him the door!

11. Heath

Heath Member

Yeah I see your logic. Fire Rudy, he brings in talented players.

So it wasn't Rudy's fault after all? Nice way of admitting you overreacted posting this thread in the first place.

12. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Why not call him on his radio show and ask him about it?

13. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Huh??? No, I'm not saying i overreacted. I'm saying that he obviously wouldn't have to be blamed for a loss if we didn't lose (i.e. if the team played better and won in spite of his crappy coaching).

14. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Wow and to think it was a WHOLE TWO GAMES.

Imagine if this multi talented team could put together more than one three game winning streak all season....we'd have to shut up for........4 FREAKING days.

15. Dreamshake

No the logic would be

Fire Rudy, he brings in all that talent and hasnt won with it yet.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Or you could just stop trying to point fingers everytime they lose, accept the loss and move on.

So, you were expecting another championship banner hanging in the rafters at Compaq Center by now?! It takes YEARS to build a contender (see Sacramento, Dallas), so try and be patient while this teams grows and strengthens.

17. Heath

Heath Member

I knew that was what you meant, just wanted you to come out and admit to your high expectations.

They have brought in players, but we have also been losing 4* top 50 players, so we have been in rebuilding mode. We have just brought in Yao, and he is coming along nicely. Just give it time. If you expected us to be much better than this, at this point, you need to adjust your expectations. Sure we have lost winable games, but other teams have also lost their winable games against us. It is the way it goes. It is nowhere near being close to a fire Rudy state though.

* According to the "fire Rudy" camp

Well you said he wouldnt be blamed if the players hit their open shots. (They had plenty of good shots that they missed at an abysmal rate) And obviously Rudy can't be blamed for them missing the open shots. AS long as the gameplan give them the looks you can't really blame Rudy for it.

That should be an easy logic to follow, and you even admitted in that post that they would have won if they had not shot that crappy. It is not taking it much further then in saying you overreacted with the thread, but I have no hopes of you recognizing it as reason seems to be lost on you.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Quit blaming Rudy, little spoiled cry babies. You have no idea what it takes to win. Experience, Attitdue, Confidince, Sweat and Luck, and some true fan support. We have a LONG way to go, but getting there is half the fun. Support your team. Be a fan (it is a lot more fun). I almost went the dark side of over criticizing the Rockets. I had to stop myself, I found it lame compardd to the fun of being a true fan. I have an actual love for this team.

I remember in the early 90's when winning a championship was a dream, not an expectation. I watched season after season with out calling for the heads of organization members. We will lose games. We will win games. All we can really as ask for is constant improvement. Which is evident right now.

Focus on the positives.

Yao. Yao. Yao. My God. I think he will cahge the sport one day. Enjoy the ride. Mr. Yao is playing in cities for the first time in his life. He is a Rookie. not just in the NBA but in America. Give the guy and the team a break. Watching his progress has been incredible. One day you will be telling you kids "I remember Yao Ming's rookie year, we saw glimpes of what he could do now, but we really had no idea"...

Fustration is the precursor to a breakthrough.

The Rockets have a lot to work through right now. Their shooting is horrible. They seem lost. Sometimes you have to get to the bottom to make your way back to the top. Stronger and meaner. This team has magic, we have witnessed glimpes of greatness. Certain things just need to click. It will happen. We have the ingedients, but we just have to cook a while.

I have been watching the Rockets for 15 years. Seen many ups and downs. Even during the glory years. But I never get too down on them. Getting rid of rudy would cause more problems than you can concive. I bet some payers would want to bail if he was gone. Who knows what would happen.

I'm not saying support this team blindly, but soulfully. I find it a blast to be a Rocket fan. I do it for fun and entertainment. If you dont want to like your team, then why even be a fan? I cheer for and players when they kick ass and when they screw up. They will kcik ass again one day. One day soon.

19. got-milk!

got-milk! Member

was that the game Olympics where we edged Lithuania by 2 friggin' points for the gold medal? and vince carter was the team captain or somethin? is that victory Rudy style? :D

i would tend to believe that Rudy is still learning too!

20. Dreamshake

Experience, Attitude, confidence, Sweat and luck.

Congratulations....youve just invented the key to everyones success.

And are those universally accepted "keys to winning a title" or are they your experiences with winning the title. I mean if we dont know, and your giving the keys to winning titles, you obviously have been successful at it.

How do you not know that: Inexperience, Laziness, lack of trying and stinky feet aren't the keys. Have you scientifically formulated the "ways to win a title"?

As for the rest of your post.

What Rocket has said: "I will leave if Rudy isnt the coach" Forfeit my millions and do something else I guess.

I dont know, but I dont think the Rocket teams of the 80's werent trying to make title runs. What Rocket Orginization were you watching. If it were not for some real bad luck (Sampson's knees, Wiggins and Lloyd's suspension) we might of had some good runs.