1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Harrison Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Prempeh, Mar 26, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a Carolina fan (South Carolina doesn't count ;)), wouldn't you say he has more aggression than Marvin Williams? I never saw Williams as anything more than passive in his time at UNC and couldn't understand why people put him up so high.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This is going to make him sound worse, but not really. I might have selective memory of Marvin since he helped us win a championship, but I remember him fighting for loose balls and taking it strong inside.

Harrison seems to really shine in the Kobe mid-range game (or MJ mid-range game). He's gotten better with his back to the basket 15 feet out. The problem I see with him is while athletic, he's not explosive. People keep talking about how athletic he is, but I never get that sense because he never just wows me with it.

He has decent handles, but he doesn't have an Austin Rivers crossover to blow by you. He's a good jump shooter, but not as well creating for himself off the dribble. Last year he kind of developed the 'clutch' reputation with his strong play late in games.. this year he was airballing threes vs. Ohio. OR having the game-winning shot attempt and getting stripped.

Everyone wanted to see him say, "I'm not letting us lose this game." But he's just not that kind of person. I'd still take him on the Rockets in an instant, but I just don't think he's going to be a true superstar.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with Luol Deng. If Barnes reaches that level he's got a hell of a career ahead of him. I just don't see the aggressiveness or ballhandling that says franchise guy to me. Then again, I said the same thing about Rudy Gay.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Good article on Barnes,

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7737280/harrison-barnes-two-years-north-carolina-tar-heels

Barnes may very well slip to us if Morey wants to take the risk (or at the Knicks picknow that Amare is out for the season).

5. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

that grantland article highlights my concern and reluctance to make a like for like comparison - aside from his length I don't see anything in his game that reminds of Deng in that he's not a disruptive force defensively or jack of all trades contributor...if anything at the next level he seems more like a guy you'd stick at the 3 to do nothing but spot up and feed off other creators...a la Denis Scott without the weight or a tattoo of himself on his shoulder...that still may not be a bad thing but hardly irreplaceable either...with his ceiling what we might think it is, I see no reason for him to be a Rockets pick as what we need is to gamble on transcendent-type potential, not static known quantities - we've got enough of that on the roster, no?

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He won't slip that far. That article runs counter to the majority of analysts' opinions on Barnes which is that he has the athleticism, size, and skillset to be a dominant starting SG in the league.

The mental component will always be the X-factor, but no team won't draft a player that fills a need if every other measure they use says that the guy is really good.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Since we're on the topic of Tar Heels & draft stock, I wanted to throw out another name: McAdoo. He really stepped up when Henson went down during the ACC tourney (rebounding wise, anyway) and played out of his mind against Kansas. He's only a freshman, and I have no idea whether or not he'll declare for the draft, but if he does, look for him to go in the early to mid teens on potential alone. Would absolutely love for Morey to figure out a way to pick him up IF he declares. He's only 19, 6'9" and still growing w/ a 7' wing span.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

McAdoo is an interesting prospect. He needs to improve his rebounding, and he only shot 43% from the field, but he averages almost one steal per 15 minutes. That's exceptional. I figure he'll return to UNC and enter next year's draft as a potential top 5 pick.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you have the time, can you give links for analysts who say Barnes has the tools to be dominant in the NBA? Looking for something recent. After his performance this season, I just do not see it. His athleticism and skills are good, but nothing close to dominant at the NBA level IMO.

I sincerely understand if you can't find the links.

10. Pete the Cheat

for better or worse I see a lot of Rudy Gay in this guys game. not really sure where the Deng comparisons are coming from...

11. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

He would be a steal if we got him.. Maybe he goes low in the draft.. Morey takes a chance on him.. and he sets out to prove everybody wrong( we could have a special player)

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

They're saying the Raptors really want Barnes. I think he'd be a good fit there, so long as he doesn't bolt for the states.

Although, I wouldn't put it past Charlotte to make a PR move and draft barnes for ticket sales.

13. Pete the Cheat

for the Raptors at 5 that's really not that much of a reach...but I still think he falls in line with the list of "very good but not great" talent that you could make an argument for at that range...

no way does Charlotte pass on Davis. he is as sure of a thing as there is (in this draft)...
    plus I think the ship has sailed as far as Duke/NC talent putting butts in the seats for the cats. far too many busts have been produced from that line of thinking and it's soured their fanbase

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I forget, what's the lowest draft pick the worst record can get? 3rd or 4th? I think New Orleans will "conviently" win the lottery. If the Bobcats end up at 3rd or 4th, I still think MJ orders them to pick Barnes.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll go on record and predict Harrison Barnes will not be a top 5 pick. Davis, MKG, Drummond, Beal, Thomas Robinson will all go ahead of him. It's also possible two of his own teammates (McAdoo and Henson) go earlier.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The biggest thing working against Harrison Barnes is the massive hype he got entering UNC as a freshman - making the preseason All-American team and being compared to Durant before he'd done anything in college. Of course, without that hype no one would be even discussing him as a lottery pick.

I don't think he'll ever be a star in the NBA - he doesn't dominate games in college - he's mostly a catch-and-shoot player for UNC and beyond that he isn't exceptional defensively and he can't create for himself or others.

He might have a career as a good role player if he can become passable defensively and his transition to the pros might actually be easier than some of the other prospects because his role probably won't change much - he'll be the second or third option on the team and his job will be to run off of screens and hit open jumpers.

If he fell to where the Rockets will be picking, he might not be a bad option - but he's almost certainly going to be overdrafted.

17. Pete the Cheat

You think McAdoo is coming out this year?
    Forgive me for wanting to draft another 6'9" PF, but that dude looks like he is going to be a stud. I haven't seen him on any mocks, so assumed he was going back to UNC. Easily a top 5 pick next year if he goes back to school.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Deng comparisons are because he takes a ton of long mid-range jumpers and doesn't utilize his size and athleticism enough. Also, he can't create his own basket. Honestly, the Deng comparison is quite generous. He could easily be the next Marvin Williams.

Gay was an elite athlete at UConn, not just solid. The only knock was his consistency, not his aggressiveness. When he was on, he was probably too aggressive. Barnes has no highlight mixes like the one below.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yCso8qP_Mm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have no idea if Henson or McAdoo will enter the draft this year. Just saying if they do...

20. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Just looking at that video.... HOW ON EARTH DO YOU TRADE A PROSPECT LIKE THAT... especially for Shane Battier